The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: What is the best ice shelter?  (Read 27557 times)

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What is the best ice shelter?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2008, 07:15 PM »
I just ordered my christmas gift...a shappell 6000....7 ft height inside (Im 6'4")....looks good and only 25 lbs.....around 189 bucks...and packs into a backpack about the size of a tent pack....very cool

gonna give it a shot..its the only shelter that guarantees light free interior....great for my aquaview jiggin...

Im not usually a shelter guy but could definately throw a cot in this thing for overnite derbys also.......K

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2008, 06:32 AM »
I'm on my way to ktp this weekend. I'll take a look.
 Unoman that sounds like my kind of shelter too.

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "DROP THAT FISH" - B. Meredith - Grumpy Old Men 93
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2008, 08:29 AM »
I just ordered my christmas gift...a shappell 6000....7 ft height inside (Im 6'4")....looks good and only 25 lbs.....around 189 bucks...and packs into a backpack about the size of a tent pack....very cool

gonna give it a shot..its the only shelter that guarantees light free interior....great for my aquaview jiggin...

Im not usually a shelter guy but could definately throw a cot in this thing for overnite derbys also.......K

I just bought one too.  I was gonna go with the Clam 5600 ($350), but this shelter seem so much lighter,way less money(219 inc deliever from Shappell) and includes 4 ice anchors.  I've heard it can be set up in <1minute too.  Now I have money for a sled and heater.

Have you heard any reviews how this hold up in the wind?
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline Boscoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Now taking off from A-1
« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2008, 10:33 AM »
I've been using the Clam 5600 for a couple years and really like it.  Biggest downfall is that when there is snow on the ice its not the easiest thing to pull, deep snow making it almost impossible for one man to do.  Takes about 5 minutes to put up.  Pluses are its size, (both of the base and height), its warm, has windows and vents and won't move in even a pretty strong wind.  The floor is also built to withstand a lot of walking in and out, no matter what type of ice cleats you have on.  Having a quad now makes the negative of pulling it out go away.

Now, after our trip to Flint last season, I'm suprised Unoman didn't go with a shelter more like the one this guy was pulling out. (I know I posted it last season but couldn't resist.)

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2008, 10:37 AM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Dual purpose!

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2008, 12:29 PM »
Yo boscoe!

i remember that guy..he spent an awful long time inside that thing...

burp

lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I just got a 4x8 trailer that the yamaha wolverine will travel in and then tow out onto the ice.  Once the production begins of this Ice shanty transformer, I will post pics
, , ,

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2008, 08:55 AM »
That is an ice crapper not shanty!!!!!
Love it, poopin on the go.
Must not smell to good in there by the end on the day.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2008, 09:45 AM »
yeah...that was weird...

guy came out dragging sled and pushed the shanty all the way across Flint....pushed it up against the far bank and never came out....he never drilled a hole....

K

Offline Boscoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Now taking off from A-1
« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2008, 07:24 PM »
he must have had a lot to think about in there...like why he had just pushed a camo porta-crapper all the way across a frozen lake :embarassed:

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 30, 2008, 09:07 AM »
"I don't need no stinkin Shanty" Real men don't use them!   ;D

My xmas gift is in but my wife hid it on me!  I have torn the house apart and can't find it!

Arctic Armour Plus.... That' all I need   :) 

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline warrenbassmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2008, 04:21 PM »
homemade is the way to go, maybe a 4-6 box 4 ft tall on skis, small wood stove a little window to watch you flags and jig away, thinking about makeing one this year.
Salmon-the other pink meat

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2008, 08:53 PM »
"I don't need no stinkin Shanty" Real men don't use them!   ;D

My xmas gift is in but my wife hid it on me!  I have torn the house apart and can't find it!

Arctic Armour Plus.... That' all I need   :) 

Flaggs!
[
/quote] You will look real nice in that red suite with that Elmer Fudd hat you wear :clap: :clap: :clap:I hope you got the Green one
way to many red one out there.Karl Porter Me and now you My God whats this world coming to.I will have to get Porter to spray paint it. what shade of Pink you want :whistle: :whistle:Oh Ya real men don't wear pink,well think about it and let me know OK
Hope to see ya soon                                                                       Your Buddy Art
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2008, 07:55 AM »
hey bigbry my brutha... ya.. I got the "plus" model that comes in green only. Whew! Imagine, we would like like a runway out there with all that red!
This way, we will be Port and Starboard  ;D

And, hey porter bring your suit over my house, I'll wash it for ya. I will guarentee a really nice shade of pink!  Just ask my wife - the washing machine is off limits to me after I turned everything in the washer Pink! (many years ago)
and lastly, he's not a real man so he's good_to_go with pink!  :roflmao:

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:24 AM »
hey bigbry my brutha... ya.. I got the "plus" model that comes in green only. Whew! Imagine, we would like like a runway out there with all that red!
This way, we will be Port and Starboard  ;D

And, hey porter bring your suit over my house, I'll wash it for ya. I will guarentee a really nice shade of pink!  Just ask my wife - the washing machine is off limits to me after I turned everything in the washer Pink! (many years ago)
and lastly, he's not a real man so he's good_to_go with pink!  :roflmao:

Flaggs!

Well, well, well, welll.... look who decides to finally join us here at the Shanty... king Flaggs with his new Christmas Tree artic suit! ;D ;) I like the idea of Port & Starboard on the ice though... maybe that will help Lenz navigate through his new KING KONG traps that he built! :P  I have enough pink in my closet already - thank you.. :-\  see you on the ice soon....   

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Hey Porter my_man

You wearing Jenna's Pink thongs (no wait, those are in your drawers) you wearing Jennas pink nighties does not count!

"I'm Out here Porter and ummm Lovin it!"  for all you Cosmo Kramer fans out there!

Flaggs!

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:54 AM »
i picked up a neat 8x monocular at BPS in kansas to keep an eye on my 'spaced out' tilts. No need for flaggs to yell...Leeennnzzz...fl laaag!!

i'll see how Uno's shelter is..sounds like it is rather large as shelters go.

burp

Lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

Don't do anything at all

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Holy smokes he has arrived with a cold heart,Wow can you be live this Porter  he picking on you He must have a Pink VW hidden in the garage huh, it OK Flaggs we understand :o.I am happy you got the Green I have some nice light and a few lures we can hang on you,just in time for Christmas,I'll let the Russian design the look for you????? you will stand out,maybe even do the flags on your tilts What do you think ??? ??? ???.sounds pretty darn good to me :clap: :clap: :clap: Let me know
                                                                                                             Love and kisses
                                                                                                                 Butchy54
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2008, 11:25 AM »
I like the ice cube shelter, grat in the wind easy to sey up and you carry it on your back so when the snow is deep, you don't have to drag it ant is only 120$
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Hey Porter my_man

You wearing Jenna's Pink thongs (no wait, those are in your drawers) you wearing Jennas pink nighties does not count!

"I'm Out here Porter and ummm Lovin it!"  for all you Cosmo Kramer fans out there!

Flaggs!

Flaggs - no way you're going commando out there at Barton's Cove ::)   Way too windy... plus with Capt Shay around.... ;) At least my red suit doesn't look like your new green one (see below) - can't wait to see how long it will take you to get out to the islands at Bare Hill in 10 inches of fresh powder ;D :P :laugh:

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #50 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Ok....

First up... Butchy54, Don't forget, you are the BiT!H this year. you NEVER go to the stuff you say your going too, so you need to stand down and serve up those hot totties if you ever make it on ice this year! Love, kisses, and wet panties...

Porter! I think it's time we open up the 2009 Porter and Flaggs Growler Hour! I am disappointed dude... you didn't even think enough of me to paste my face shot into the photo???  !!!! I am deeply hurt!

you rookie!

Flaggs!

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #51 on: Dec 02, 2008, 04:01 PM »
whoa wait a minute!!!  i thought this was the suit flaggs bought last spring???

burp

lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

Don't do anything at all

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 02, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Did anyone answer Icecracka's question or has this thread been hijacked???

;D :cookoo: :whistle: :thumbsup: :icefish: :afro:
, , ,

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Did anyone answer Icecracka's question or has this thread been hijacked???

;D :cookoo: :whistle: :thumbsup: :icefish: :afro:

I originally answered crackman's question on either page 1 or 2 (Shappell 3000dx), thus entitling me to right to hijack this thread :flex:, give Flaggs a proper greeting :P, and entice Butchy the b***h to enter the fray ;D :tipup:... man do we need some ice soon.... oh, well.....  :laugh: :tipup:

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #54 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:17 PM »
I have to attend a breast feeding class for all the upcoming moms/hotties this Thursday night :) with Jenna... it should get reeeeeeeeaaaaalllllll interesting ;D :tipup:  Here we go..... :o   :tipup:

:laugh:
J. Cotier

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Josh - what the hell are you talking about ??? ??? Is there something you'd like to tell al of us :laugh: :P :tipup: ;)  You've gone mad man!!! Nice try at a feeble attempt to set me up ::) 8)   I told you we needed some ice around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #56 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Josh - what the hell are you talking about ??? ??? Is there something you'd like to tell al of us :laugh: :P :tipup: ;)  You've gone mad man!!! Nice try at a feeble attempt to set me up ::) 8)   I told you we needed some ice around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P

I got at once like you. It just makes it worse. One time, not even a full pledged attempt. It's tough. Soon enough we'll be out and I'll be taking your bait weekend after weekend.  8) :laugh: ;)

After I give you yours of course.
J. Cotier

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:59 PM »
I am just as bored as everyone else now..  no striper fishing and the Pats can't win two games in a row.
, , ,

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:29 PM »
Ok....

First up... Butchy54, Don't forget, you are the BiT!H this year. you NEVER go to the stuff you say your going too, so you need to stand down and serve up those hot totties if you ever make it on ice this year! Love, kisses, and wet panties...

Porter! I think it's time we open up the 2009 Porter and Flaggs Growler Hour! I am disappointed dude... you didn't even think enough of me to paste my face shot into the photo???  !!!! I am deeply hurt!

you rookie!

Flaggs!
ya ya ya ya is that all you got come on flaggs you can do better Oh ya the reason porter didn't put your mug in there is this hr didn't want to ruin the picture of the Tree
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:53 PM »
I originally answered crackman's question on either page 1 or 2 (Shappell 3000dx), thus entitling me to right to hijack this thread :flex:, give Flaggs a proper greeting :P, and entice Butchy the b***h to enter the fray ;D :tipup:... man do we need some ice soon.... oh, well.....  :laugh: :tipup:
YES we do need more safe ice soon. Its starting to get old wasting all my bait money at Gilreins on Friday nights
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.