The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: help with pre ice  (Read 839 times)

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
help with pre ice
« on: Dec 07, 2008, 06:40 PM »
Every year it happens I tear them up all year then December comes and I (embarrassed to say) can't buy a hit. Weather in 40's and 30's and I'm fishing from shore...I never do well pre ice. Are the fish in deep water? I've got some nice livies...fishing current lines, foam, and standing reeds...
Anyone help me out with this...what are the bass and pick doing pre ice??? I've tried sunsets...figureing the water is warmer...although in January through the ice I tear them up...help me out!
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
Re: help with pre ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Bass are most definitely deeper but pickerel usually stay pretty active during the colder months. I would try targeting them with slow presentations with really light lines.
J. Cotier

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2008, 06:57 PM »
How deep are the bass?
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:03 AM »
I would say it depends on the water body and the temperature. Start with drop offs and structure between 8-12 feet, then keep moving deeper by intervals till you find them I would say. If you use a jerk bait or a spinner bait you can cover some areas fast, well as fast as you can with a slower presentation. Also try some smaller finesse jigs around deeper cover.
J. Cotier

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "DROP THAT FISH" - B. Meredith - Grumpy Old Men 93
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:39 AM »
I use big lively shiners.  More pics than bass, but have caught a few nice bass this early winter.
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline boulderdash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:49 AM »
i find the temps on the edges of ponds fluctuate two much in dec. the fish will seek out more stable temps in deeper water also looking for springs .spring water will be warmer than the ambient water temp in the winter
and should be well oxigenated . have you ever cought a bass ice fishing that couldnt close his mouth.
they are effected by cold water more than trout and pickeral.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.