Author Topic: home made spudbar  (Read 2144 times)

Offline quacksmacker

• IceShanty Rookie
home made spudbar
« on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:55 PM »
anyone ever make there own spud bar? i know they are on the cheap side but i have some iron laying around and i looking for a sunday project .pics would be great if you have them.  thanks

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: home made spudbar
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:08 PM »
yep 1 inch rebar 5 ft long , piece of a cutting blade for the spud  and a big ring on the handle top so it don't slip out of your hand . needless to say no one takes it LOL very heavy

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:17 PM »
use the rebar and cut off section of an old blade off of highway plow
[already has the edge for ya] only need 2 inch section can make them up in 10 minutes
any plow company has them hanging around
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:17 PM »
A TRUCK AXLE??? Really?  they sold them at Fay's right next to the first glo jigs and the first jet sled, for like $10!

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:19 PM »
I was cheap! And had 2 kids! And don't remember seeing one for $10!

Oh! That perch was DELISH!

BIGJim223

Offline quacksmacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:23 PM »
thanks for ideas. everyone should own a bfh they come in handy for all sorts of things

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I am gonna use that BFH on "The System" if he keeps givin' me crap tonight! Must be enjoying a couple fingers of the Jameson after the hard day on the ice!
   You going to be OK to go tomorrow??? LOL! ::)

BIGJim223

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:28 PM »
I hope you still have that BFH hanging around to make another on. Custom gear is always better in my opinion. Take pride in making something you use on the ice. Im gunna use that abbreviation in the future. We call a BFH a Monday.

We call it a BFH and a Relief (when you put it down). ;D
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Hi Quack,

Don't know where you're from but if there is a Tractor Supply store near you go there first before you go to town with the BFH.  The store nearest to me sells an impressive bar for post hole digging.  One piece solid steel (no welds), nearly 18 pounds, almost 6 ft long. The flat blade part is about 1ft long and nearly 2 inches wide.  The other end flares out to about 3 inches for use as a tamper.  When sharpened a bit it made a really fine spud. The flared end keeps any safety line from coming off so you can't loose it down a hole, if the other end is around your wrist.  As I recall, I paid $18 for it.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:39 PM »
We call it a Monday because everyone hates Mondays and your not gunna use it on a Sunday.  Well unleashed your making a spud ;D
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2012, 07:58 PM »
I made mine outta 3/4 inch rebar and a piece of 1/2 inch plate sharpend i have had it for 3 years works good for opening up holes in the shack. :tipup:

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:10 PM »
You leave me and my associate Jameson alone! And, neither he no anyone else can keep me off the ice tomorrow!

Offline Striker7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:12 PM »
My uncle made one way back. I believe it was 1/2 " steel welded to a 3/4" wood chisel with a 6"tee at the end about 6' long, shot thru the ice with out being too heavy. His only complant was that he wished he used a 1 1/2" chisel.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:51 PM »
anyone ever make there own spud bar? i know they are on the cheap side but i have some iron laying around and i looking for a sunday project .pics would be great if you have them.  thanks

Personally I think a homemade spud bar is the only way to go. There are a lot of things that you can put on it to custimize the spud bar. I made mine out of 2 light  4-5 foot pieces of rebar I found at work. Then I cut the threads off of a u bolt and welded the u on the spud bar in the middle. That way I have a spot to hook my hitch from my portable ice hut and can use the spud for a handle to pull it out. Plus I welded a flat chissel tip on one end and a large nut on the other to hold if I'm using it to spud when I'm going out. Cost to make a spud. $0. plus with orange paint i havent lost it yet. I'll try to get some pics if you're interested in seeing some.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2012, 03:17 PM »
 My son made one for me when he was in Welding school. He made it without ever seeing a spud bar before, but it turned out pretty good and will punch a hole fair enough.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:17 AM »
In the Pics you can see I made a simple chisel out of rebar, a bolt nut, and a flat piece of steel. Then I found the bar was to light to pull the shack with and it would bend. So, I reenforced it with another bart by the side, and then welded a U bolt to the middle for a hich pin spot to hook and pull the shack out with. I've got to repaint now, but it works like a dream.

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:52 PM »
I made these out of 1 black pipe and 1/4 plate steel i had laying around little work with a grinder and they turned out pretty good  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.