Author Topic: Flashers  (Read 5367 times)

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
Flashers
« on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:42 PM »
I have read allot about the folks back east using FLASHERS. Vex Or Marcum.
Do any of you use them out here in the west?
Do they really improve your chances?
I do the best in shallow water, 6-20', would it work?
Any advise or comments would be helpful.
Thanks
"We were not put on this earth to judge, just to observe"

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flashers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:45 PM »
Flashers are a good tool to have.  They let you know if the fish are under your hole, if fish are even attracted to your bait, etc...  it is a good drop of a few hundred dollars, but I live in Utah and don't fish with one.  My interest is spiked, but it is enjoyable just to get out.  I have seen people use flashers out here, and they are cool, but to me, not necessary.  Just my .02 worth.   :icefish:

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Thanks
I just go to relax and have fun. Have never been to serious about it. I have never even seen a flasher being used. That is why I'm curious.
Also I got my niece and nephew hooked so they are coming up to see me more in the winter to ice fish, I would like them to catch a few more big ones. Then they'll really be hooked.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Thanks
I just go to relax and have fun. Have never been to serious about it. I have never even seen a flasher being used. That is why I'm curious.
Also I got my niece and nephew hooked so they are coming up to see me more in the winter to ice fish, I would like them to catch a few more big ones. Then they'll really be hooked.

I just got a Marcum VX-1 a few weeks ago.  (It was $258 and lots of times check out marcums website for $30 mail in rebates.) I will gurantee that you catch way more fish. and it gives you something to watch on the ice. If you have any questions just PM me.

Gonephishin

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2008, 04:05 PM »
I also just bought a Marcum VX-1 a couple of weeks ago, they great!  You can see the fish, your lure and see how the fish react to you lure. You'll never fish a fishless hole... No regrets for buying one!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2008, 05:26 PM »
Flashers are necessary.  People fished without them forever and caught fish.

BUT, would I fish without one?  Never, ever again!  I went to grad school in Wisconsin and I saved my pennies while there and bought a fishtrap guide shanty and a Vex fl18.  Those were expensive purchases, but you know what, I have never for one second regretted buying them and I will always be really happy that I have um.

Nobody out here really has flashers.  I fish every single weekend and I have yet to see another one all year :o  In Wisconsin about 40-50% of fishermen have um and certainly most every 'hardcore' ice angler has one. 

Do they help?  Abso-friggin-lutely!  I fish Ririe Res N. or Idaho Falls.  It gets fished pretty hard.  Most guys use the max number or rods on tip-downs.  I use one rod and my flasher and I catch more fish than pretty much all the others around me on most days.

Here is the reason they are so effective:
1. not only does it tell you if there are fish beneith you, it tells you if they AREN'T there.  Typically, I move to find fish.  It takes a lot less guessing to know when you're on fish and when you aren't.

2. It allows you to discern the mood of the fish on any given day.  I have been able to fine-tune my techniques based up on the mood of the fish.  For instance, often times I start out fishing with a hali rig for perch.  Sometimes the fish will sit and stare that the rig, but will not bite.  You would have no idea there were even fish there without the flasher.  So, I then put on a smaller ice-fly or jig (tiny) and try that, BAM! fish-on.  Sometimes that hali works, but sometimes it doesn't.  You'd have no idea if it was your lure, or the lack of fish and most likely you'd sit there all day waiting for fish to bite, not knowing that there were fish down there but that they want a smaller, more specific offering on that day!

3. Allows you to spot supspended fish (trout or kokanee salmon, crappie, ect).  When I'm fishing perch on the bottom I'm constanly watching my screen for suspended fish.  This has allowed me to immediately bring my rig to the level of the suspended fish and get bent.  Without the vex you would have no idea that there were fish suspended 10 feet down in 30 fow.

4. Makes ice fishing more fun.  No longer is it a exercise in futility on many days.  If I"m not seeing fish I move and I find fish and if they are tight lipped I change presentations until I am able to consistantly target those fish.  Gives me something to look at too while ice fishing, keeps it fun and action-packed.

People who haven't fished with flashers often think they are a glorified fishfinder.  Well, yeah, but they are so much more than that.  Fish finders are the stoneage as compared to flashers on ice.  yes you can mark fish with fish finders, but flashers give you that real-time info that is critical on the ice with finicky fish.

Marcum, vex, both great!  Everyone's got an opinion on which is better but the fact is they are both great.  Do some research, try and see each one in action and make a decision.  Get the best you can afford, you won't regret it.  They will last forever, have great customer service and are indispensable on the ice.

If you are ever near IF, let me know and we will fish and I will show you how to use the vex and then you'll go home and buy one ;D

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Flashers are necessary.  People fished without them forever and caught fish.

BUT, would I fish without one?  Never, ever again!  I went to grad school in Wisconsin and I saved my pennies while there and bought a fishtrap guide shanty and a Vex fl18.  Those were expensive purchases, but you know what, I have never for one second regretted buying them and I will always be really happy that I have um.

Nobody out here really has flashers.  I fish every single weekend and I have yet to see another one all year :o  In Wisconsin about 40-50% of fishermen have um and certainly most every 'hardcore' ice angler has one. 

Do they help?  Abso-friggin-lutely!  I fish Ririe Res N. or Idaho Falls.  It gets fished pretty hard.  Most guys use the max number or rods on tip-downs.  I use one rod and my flasher and I catch more fish than pretty much all the others around me on most days.

Here is the reason they are so effective:
1. not only does it tell you if there are fish beneith you, it tells you if they AREN'T there.  Typically, I move to find fish.  It takes a lot less guessing to know when you're on fish and when you aren't.

2. It allows you to discern the mood of the fish on any given day.  I have been able to fine-tune my techniques based up on the mood of the fish.  For instance, often times I start out fishing with a hali rig for perch.  Sometimes the fish will sit and stare that the rig, but will not bite.  You would have no idea there were even fish there without the flasher.  So, I then put on a smaller ice-fly or jig (tiny) and try that, BAM! fish-on.  Sometimes that hali works, but sometimes it doesn't.  You'd have no idea if it was your lure, or the lack of fish and most likely you'd sit there all day waiting for fish to bite, not knowing that there were fish down there but that they want a smaller, more specific offering on that day!

3. Allows you to spot supspended fish (trout or kokanee salmon, crappie, ect).  When I'm fishing perch on the bottom I'm constanly watching my screen for suspended fish.  This has allowed me to immediately bring my rig to the level of the suspended fish and get bent.  Without the vex you would have no idea that there were fish suspended 10 feet down in 30 fow.

4. Makes ice fishing more fun.  No longer is it a exercise in futility on many days.  If I"m not seeing fish I move and I find fish and if they are tight lipped I change presentations until I am able to consistantly target those fish.  Gives me something to look at too while ice fishing, keeps it fun and action-packed.

People who haven't fished with flashers often think they are a glorified fishfinder.  Well, yeah, but they are so much more than that.  Fish finders are the stoneage as compared to flashers on ice.  yes you can mark fish with fish finders, but flashers give you that real-time info that is critical on the ice with finicky fish.

Marcum, vex, both great!  Everyone's got an opinion on which is better but the fact is they are both great.  Do some research, try and see each one in action and make a decision.  Get the best you can afford, you won't regret it.  They will last forever, have great customer service and are indispensable on the ice.

If you are ever near IF, let me know and we will fish and I will show you how to use the vex and then you'll go home and buy one ;D
with flasher :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :clap: :clap:

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2008, 05:37 PM »
with flasher :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :clap: :clap:
without flasher  ??? ??? :-[ :'( :embarassed:

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Thanks for the advice.
I've started doing research and will make a decision soon.
Thanks again.

Offline jmdigello

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:43 AM »
i would also recommend one.  bought one this year (marcum lx-2) can't say i've caught bucket loads more fish, but i haven't wasted hours sitting in unproductive spots.  also i have marked fish and changed lures up to three or four and different baits to make them bite.  it's great to know there are fish under you it allows you to concentrate and keeps you from getting bored.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I have a Marcum and this is its second season.  I love it.    Really helps with suspeded fish.   Green, Yellow, Red  and set the hook.......

Offline plumrob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2008, 11:25 AM »
Which one did you get?
Was looking at the lx-5. Do you think that it is that much better than the others?

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2008, 02:42 PM »
Which one did you get?
Was looking at the lx-5. Do you think that it is that much better than the others?
go with any you wont be disapointed marcums on sale at gander for $199. in binghamton vex is just shy of $300

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2008, 05:35 PM »
My buddy got a vex ($400 or higher), pretty darn nice but wow expensive for a depth finder. Too many lines to figure out what's a fish and whats whatever. For that price I could get scuba gear and figure it out myself.

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:51 AM »
My buddy got a vex ($400 or higher), pretty darn nice but wow expensive for a depth finder. Too many lines to figure out what's a fish and whats whatever. For that price I could get scuba gear and figure it out myself.
not true turn down gain till you see jig in green jig it a few times so you know where your jig is. drop to bottom you will see fish move tword it if there around solid red is bottom and top green weak  orange med red is strong reading  5 min you will love it

Offline McFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:16 AM »
  If you have the cash buy one and if you dont like it you can sell it for close to what you paid. I dont think you will ever want to do that but its an option.

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:05 PM »
How do flashers work on bottom huggers like perch. Thanks

Offline McFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:06 AM »
  Flashers work excellent for perch. After a couple of times out you should be able to tell the difference between fish and bottom easily. Lots of people in new york use them for bottom hugging perch and walleye.

Offline ripndalips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2008, 02:13 PM »
Right now I have a bottom line fish finder that I have rigged to be used on hard water.  I can see my jig but the perch will not show as fish but im catching them. thanks

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:23 PM »
Did you read my post on the first page?  Flashers are perfect for perch.  Seperation between objects is in inches.  You'll catch 2-3x more perch with a flasher.  Just knowing they are there and when to watch your spring bobber is a huge key.

Your buddy obviously doesn't know how to use this vex then ???  If you use the term 'depth finder' when referring to a flasher then you've never used or seen one effectively used before.  Calling a flasher a depth finder is like calling an F-21 fighter jet a kite.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2008, 02:40 PM »
get a good quality underwater camera like an aqua-vu or a fish tv and then get a flasher, or vice-versa

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 23, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I use a flasher on Palisades and limit out every time we go and in 2or 3 hours or less. We also average larger fish since using a flasher.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.