The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: CF derby  (Read 6073 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: CF derby
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:28 AM »
eXPLAIN THE CALCUTTA,im not sure **censored** you mean....
not too sure, never done one before, but it sounds like some kind of gambling event associated with the fishing event.  For the fishing tourney, money prizes go to the top few places... Well The Calcuta is similar but doesn't involve the winning people actually fishing.  Just ANYONE can show up, and bid on...and "buy" a team,  if that team wins, then the person who "bought" the team wins a certain percentage of the Calcutta pot money.  If  you're on a team, you can buy your team, or even a different team if you wanted to.  Now, here's where it gets  confusing... Say, a random person buys the team your on,  They are obligated to let you buy at least 25% of your team back from them.  Say they spent $100 on your team,  if you wanted to buy part of your team, they are obligated to sell you 25% ($25), but could offer you more... Then if your team wins, you would win whatever % you bought of the prize money. 
Thats my understanding on how it works, but I could be wrong, I've never done it before?? 

Good luck to everyone going out for the Derby!!!! Stay warm.  :o Would be cool to see someone from IceShanty take a prize, but even if we don't its all for fun and for a good cause anyways.  :) 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 23, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Sounds like a waste of time,see yal on the ice.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Fished till 1,only iced 2 perch,had fun counting the different objects blown across the lake tho,weighe in one that was 8th at the time,didnt stick around to see if it held up.Most people we talked to got skunked,we may go coyote hunting instead of making that trip again to fish for 3 hours in the wind.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2009, 04:52 PM »
that wind was hell this morning. i gave it an hour and called it a day when my sled loaded with all my gear and auger went sliding with the wind.  :-\
those fish arent going anywhere, i'll wait til the wind is a bit more cooperative.

TIGHT LINES

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:37 PM »
We did not have fun. We drove from Columbus, fished till 11:30, froze our a$$ off. Not one bite between 4 of us. We packed up and went to the bar for lunch. Then we came home.

Deadeye

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:38 PM »
It was nippy on the old face at 6am out there! Thats for sure.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:56 PM »
No fish for the four of us either. It was a wee bit chilly that is for sure I am really glad that we had the ice houses and heaters. We could not keep any holes open outside of the ice house. I did have at least one bite but between the wind and the cold could not see it. The only way I knew was that all of my maggots were gone. I would also have to agree we really did not have that much fun either. Wish it would have been as nice as last weekend. But oh well what do you do?? At least we got out and gave it a try.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:11 PM »
IT STILL BEATS ANY DAY AT WORK THATS FOR SURE!!! ;)

TIGHT LINES

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:36 PM »
We are going to call some yotes and shoot some critters,after today nobody is looking foward to another day on the ice/wind.When we left the largest perch werre .84 and .87 anyone know what won?

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I am happy to hear we weren't the only ones who didn't have fun or that didn't do well.  I alright that we only got 3!  Didn't catch anything that even had a chance at weight.  You know its cold when a perch is frozen solid in about two minutes and scooping holes is a full time job.  Hopefully next year it will be at least 15 degrees, even a little less wind would have been nicer.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline smalls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:14 PM »
I didn't fish the tourney so I don't know what it was like yesterday, but today was pretty good.

It was pretty cold and windy, making it tough to fish outside the shanty and go hunting for fish. So I set up, turned the heater on and cracked a beer. The action was sporadic but when a school came through they were incredibly aggressive...the bites were no doubters. Perch eyes outfished waxies and frostees and genz worms (or whatever the jamminjig comparable is) outfished hali's, pimples, and jiggin raps.

Beware that the holes in the ice are becoming increasingly magnetic as they swallowed not one but two of my rod holders today.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:34 PM »
I had the greatest time with the Team Ice Shanty Montana.  These guys are the real deal.  The weather was blistering yesterday (Saturday) but we managed through it.  I didn't get but maybe 1 hit on Saturday, but the derby was fun to be at.  I got schooled on perch this weekend, and the learning paid off today for the 4 of us.

I'm glad I hooked up with this team, the winning team.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:16 PM »
I didn't fish the tourney so I don't know what it was like yesterday, but today was pretty good.

It was pretty cold and windy, making it tough to fish outside the shanty and go hunting for fish. So I set up, turned the heater on and cracked a beer. The action was sporadic but when a school came through they were incredibly aggressive...the bites were no doubters. Perch eyes outfished waxies and frostees and genz worms (or whatever the jamminjig comparable is) outfished hali's, pimples, and jiggin raps.

Beware that the holes in the ice are becoming increasingly magnetic as they swallowed not one but two of my rod holders today.

Smalls,  Those holes will do that... they like cell phones an awful lot too I hear?  Glad to hear you did well on the ice.  Saturday I held up in the cube, had a couple bites is all, but today, I couldn't take being couped up any more so I fished outside and did quite a bit better.  Our fish took quite a lot of persuading today, but with some quality jigging they were biting on anything.  didn't seem to have a favorite jig. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:25 PM »

Swallowed up my jiffy ice dipper when my nephew was scooping holes on saturday.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:23 AM »
but today, I couldn't take being couped up any more so I fished outside and did quite a bit better.  Our fish took quite a lot of persuading today, but with some quality jigging they were biting on anything.  didn't seem to have a favorite jig. 

perchhogslayer, Like you said "there's power in numbers"  that technique was truly new to me.  I am impressed how it worked out, but you guys had a great eye for the bite.  The observer Don, he was pretty impressed as well.  You should of heard him on the way to the weigh-in.....  he and I had a great time BS-ing. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:47 PM »
You have to head north if you want to consistantly cath perch. North of the pressure ridge towards round top in about 60 feet of water seems to be the best. We have been putting on at duck creek, but if you want to you can cross the pressure ridge about 5 feet off of shore right in front of the hole in the wall. It is quite the ride on the old ATV, but we have not had a day that we did not limit out in the last 7 outings. I take that back, we only caught 31 on sunday for the tournament, but given another hour to fish we would have been able to limit. Take care everybody, and don't cross the pressure ridge anywhere other than right next to shore, it's just not good ice this year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.