The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: JINX!!!!!  (Read 3374 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
JINX!!!!!
« on: Dec 03, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Man, the NWS is saying Missoula could see the coldest 10-day stretch coming up in the past 40 years.
There's a little lake between Polson and Kalispell I would LOVE to see freeze over again before I die!!!

Offline luv2fshmt

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: JINX!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2013, 04:40 PM »
There is going to be a lot of fishable water here in the next few days....time to get out!!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Man, the NWS is saying Missoula could see the coldest 10-day stretch coming up in the past 40 years.
There's a little lake between Polson and Kalispell I would LOVE to see freeze over again before I die!!!

It would be amazing if Flathead Lake froze completely to where you could ice fish the entire thing. That would truly be a once in a lifetime event if even that.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Ice is past Confederate(CF) and getting thick,should be good to go by Sunday.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:14 PM »
That's what I'm saying Andy!!! I think I can remember it freezing over MAYBE 3 times in my life. The best Mac and LSW fishing west that I know of. The last time I did it we also caught some amazing bull trout. Pretty exciting to see 40" macs come through the ice!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:18 PM »

Seems like about 40 years since the little pond, here froze over. The pond the Clark Fork flows into.    :woot:

There are some macs so big it takes two sonar screens.

Really lookin forward to this!    :thumbsup:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:30 PM »
I once hooked a Mac a few years back, got it up to the 10" hole. All I could see in the hole was its eyeball. It winked at me and swam away with all my line.... ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:36 PM »
I once hooked a Mac a few years back, got it up to the 10" hole. All I could see in the hole was its eyeball. It winked at me and swam away with all my line.... ;D

Haha, Moby Mac.     ;D

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Probably off a bit, but if I remember correctly the last time the entire lake froze over was in about '75 or '76?? It was amazing to be able to walk out from Somers out beyond the island and haul in lakers from 80'- 120'  of water. I believe there was a fella that set some sort of record by running across the lake at it's widest point that winter. That was the year that the mercury never rose above zero the whole month of Jan. here in C.Falls. Careful what you wish for........

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:23 PM »
I'm wishing Papa!!!!
I want to say it froze over last in the 90's sometime. Maybe not entirely but a Blue, Yellow, Woods, Gravel and Skidoo for sure. I didn't drive around the entire lake though:(

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Last season I called up the the afterbay ranger station at Oh-kah-beh marina on the Bighorn Reservoir near Hardin, MT. He said that end of the lake (deepest part) hadn't frozen over but maybe twice in 25 years. Could this be the year? Any "veteran" ice heads on here ever fish it?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline streamside

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:28 PM »
My wife works at the Bio Station up here, I'll have her check the official records. I don't recall it freezing over completely since my folks bought their place in 87.
There are so many things that are true, even if they never really happened

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Thought about this frozen Flathead a bit more and it was about '78 the last time it froze over all the way. Most of the bays will freeze most "normal" years, but we haven't had a normal one the past few. Hoping this is it.

Offline streamside

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:18 PM »
OK, straight from the people that know this lake inside and out.......

"Due to its massive volume and normally active winds over the surface, Flathead Lake does not freeze over most winters, although the bays often have winter ice cover.  The Lake did freeze over in the winters of 1978-79 (all winter), 1987-88 (all winter), 1988-89 (March only) and 1989-90 (January only)."

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2013, 01:30 AM »
Ughhh, I can't believe it has been 23 years already.....sigh.
Felt like yesterday to me.

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:51 AM »
My old man always tells me about being on Ski Doo bay during the 78-79 freeze. The ice was glass and as he was walking out a guy came running past him towards the pickup. A minute later he passed him again this time with a mal. So he went to see what the commotion and when he got bout 50 feet from the crowd he had the biggest lake trout he's ever seen swim right between his legs. They finally got the hole chopped out and landed the fish. It hung over the end of the snow sled they were using on the way back to the pickup. Well over 40 inches
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:41 AM »
Streamside, good job on the research. I ice fished the bays a lot those years but don't recall the total freezes of the main lake. All I know was that we did very well on macs and whitefish both and the kokanee fishing on Blue Bay was VERY good before they crashed. Looking like we may at least get the bays again this winter if we get a few more good cold snaps. Whitefish lake should certainly freeze over and it actually may have better early season ice fishing than Flathead does.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:54 AM »
you all have me drooling, I would love to pull a 40" fish up through the ice
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Im excited to see if it does freeze .please keep us posted.  Sounds like a rare oppertunity. Id love to catch a 40" through the ice  ;D thats some great research guys :tipup:
]

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:40 AM »
I totally forgot about ice fishing for Kokanee on Flathead in BlueBay:) what a blast that was, I miss that.
I remember some Skidoo bay stories like that as well.
The last time I ice fished Flathead lake anywhere other than Ducharme, Lakeside or Polson bay  it was gravel bay, what a blast!

Offline streamside

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:07 AM »
I hear ya about the Kokanee, sportsman used to take over a million, that's million with an M, out of the lake each year. Now we rave about 50 to 70 thousand lake trout and what a great fishery it is.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:37 PM »
I'll be headed down to Bigfork and Somers on Friday so I can report back on Somers Bay at least. Me thinks it should have some ice by then. If a guys can get out to 20-30fow smaller macs and w.fish will be available, perch and pike in the weedy bay itself.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:36 PM »
I just don't understand why people would be so jazzed to see flathead freeze over??yes I would love to see less yellow jackets...yes I would love to see the pine beetle larva freeze out....but seriously....a winter of that magnitude would be intense for a lot of of us who have livestock...etc...ther e is going to be plenty of ice this yr......last I heard lake trout in flathead already have a death warrant.....yes the opportunity to catch a 40 incher is wonderful....but if the lake freezes over......there will be other consequences for others than some of us catching a 40 inch fish....illegally introduced lakers..that the tribe doesn't want....the coldest weather in 40 yrs is good for ice fishers....but jesus......that weather is hard on a lot of people....

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Uhh....isn't cold weather part of living in MT? Cold weathers kinda out of our control so why not take advantage of it any way you can?

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:57 PM »
Uhh....isn't cold weather part of living in MT? Cold weathers kinda out of our control so why not take advantage of it any way you can?
couldn't have said it better. No one is wishing impeccable doom on anyone. We are just excited for a rare phenomena that I personally have never seen in my life. I'm excited to see if it happens, but in no means are we excited for cold weather to hurt anyone's property or well being. Like missoulafish said its all out of our control anyways might as well capitalize on something if it happens.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:08 PM »
what the heck are you guys talking about!!!!! yes, living in Montana....are you both generation montanans's?......I was only saying that seeing flathead freeze over would be hard on other folks.....this whole hippie fish thing is ridiculous..oh, by the way, yes I have a relative who is a small person....and I saw your post to nonya...and I
 am not a big fan of nonya...but the fact that called him a midget....is really offensive.....you are not a hippie...you are just lucky enough to have a lot of time to fish...congrats....did you used to work for UPS????

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Lol! Whatever dude. Sorry if me fishing and cold weather and conservation is so offensive to you. Maybe you should stay away from the internet if this is so bothersome to you.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:46 PM »
that's so typical.....anytime someone has a diferrent perception than you....it seems you reprimand them....and of course... you easily have  the support. of you....with that said, it seems nobody catches the fish the way you do....and even more....nobody can compare to the pics you show online......great fish...artiscally shot....but this isn't your site....I am sorry I am acting like such a d<ck....I do respect you...but believe it or not....others have an opinion too....

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Well this ended up on an interesting tangent...

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:48 PM »
How exactly does Flathead Lake Freezing over effect livestock?  Do your cattle rely on the lake to water?  Do you calve in December or January?  They aren't asking for piles of snow or terrible blizzards they just are excited that with this cold spell they might actually get the chance to ice fish a Great Lake!  Maybe you should try a different board if you hate cold weather/ice so much!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.