The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: silver lake  (Read 6183 times)

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
silver lake
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Anyone ever fish silver lake? what do you use and how deep any pointers i heard there are big lakers in there

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Re: silver lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 10:22 PM »
I've never ice fished Silver Lake. There's been people fishing it 3 out of the last 4 days I've passed by there though. I caught alot of bulltrout there during the summers when I was a kid. Probably been 25 years since I've fished there. I've heard many stories about the enormous lake trout in there, but never actually seen pics to substantiate the stories. Rumor going around 12 - 15 years ago was that the Fish & Game shocked a laker in there that would break the state record. Rumor or not, I don't know! Keep us posted if you make a trip out there and good luck if you do!! - SpitzoMT

Offline stack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2011, 12:37 AM »
I was one those guys.  Slow fishing for small lakers - been skunked twice.  No one is murdering them on Silver.

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:24 AM »
stack, where you out there yesterday? anyluck how deep do you fish there and what the best bait there?

Offline stack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2011, 12:14 AM »
I think sucker meat is your best bet.  I've caught them in 18 to 40 feet of water on the bottom.  Agreesive jigging with big jigs.  Small fish for Mac's and not too much action.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Fishing Silver Lake is slow going. Make sure you get permission before you park near the storage buildings. That is private over here. The owner gives permission to anyone who asks but he will get pissed if you don't ask.

As far as fishing go deep or go home. I fish in 40 foot of water minimum. You want big flashy stuff and sucker meat. You also have to keep it moving. They won't touch it if it is sitting still. Honestly, a lot of times they won't touch it even if it is moving. I have gone 3-4 days without a bite out there. When you do get into them they are big and worth the wait. Here is a pic from last year.

flyfish59102

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:39 PM »
Does it matter what part of the lake.  I've recently become hooked on lake trout fishing, I have family in the flathead so I've started fishing whitefish lake and flathead but would like a closer lake to hit more often. 

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2011, 04:42 PM »
It is slow fishing so i have never really don't a lot better one place versus other places. The only place I have never done well was on the shore by the highway. I fished over there a few times and never did very well. Back in some of the bays you can find weeds on the bottom and so there is more forage for bugs and minnows. Then I seem to catch more small ones. Good luck. If you get any post pictures. I want to see how other folks are doing out there. I heard someone caught a lunker this year, but I never saw a picture.

flyfish59102

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:28 PM »
do flashy spoons work well at all or jigs the way to go?

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Usually I use a large jig with some flash to it. I found some jigs that have spinners built in. Those work too. I would say the hook size is a 4 or larger.

flyfish59102

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:49 PM »
First I know nothing about lakers....NOTHING.
I grew up CO and remember a bunch of my buddies going for them and they swore by tube jigs.  Pink ones or white ones with sucker meat on them.  They had some amazing pics of some lakers they got down there.  20+ lbs.  I have thought about hitting silver coming back from Gtown.  Is it legal to access the lake from the highway?  I never bothered because I didn't want to mess around getting permission and I was under the impression it was not accessible without permission. 
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:37 AM »
You can access it from the higway, but it is a miserable climb up and down. VERY STEEP. Tube jigs, airplane jjgs, jigging rappalas. All that stuff will work. Sucker meat works, but so does 40-60 count raw shrimp from the grocery store. You can catch some decent macs out of there, but 20lbs are rare. After 7 years I have only caught a handful over 10lbs and I fish it more than anyone I know except one other guy. You will probably see him out there. He drives a brown 3/4 ton chevy pickup. I know he doesn't catch many over 10lbs either.

flyfish59102

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:05 AM »
after some thought my uncle used large white tubes while downrigging in 160 fow... laker's and kings i do believe!
(PATHFINDER)

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:53 AM »
yeah, I guess that came off wrong.  Like I said I had never fished Silver and my friends that were catching those lakers live in CO, not MT and therefore were not fishing Silver.

Sorry if that was confusing
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.