The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Willow Creek Reservoir  (Read 5811 times)

Offline cruzin4abruzin

• IceShanty Rookie
Willow Creek Reservoir
« on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Looking to see if anyone has been fishing on Willow Creek and has any ideas, points and tips on catching anything. Looking to head up there to try it out for the first time. Any information would be nice.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Willow Creek Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Wish that I could be of some help, but the resevoir hasn't been too kind to me yet this year.  I fish it alot, and in years past, have done extremely well.  After only 4 trips over so far this year, I have only managed a handful of brookies and one brown.  Rainbows have been evading me quite well.  I primarily fish the first access to the right (the first point in the first bay when you drive in), or turn to the left just beyond and fish NW of the boat dock (you will see it hauled out onto the parking lot right now).  I fish anything between 5 and 15 foot of water.  I like using glo-type hooks tipped with maggots, or if jigging, small swedish pimples.  If you feel like trekking, or have an ATV, a lot of people head to the canyon (you will see the mouth of canyon to the north).  I hear that they do pretty well in there (havn't heard anything in there this year).  IF the rainbows are feeding, you can expect fish anywhere between 16 and 21 inches.  I would say that over the past several years the fish have averaged about 18 inches.

Good luck and let us know how you do.  Be prepared for wind.

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:26 PM »
I've always had the most luck down the canyon.  There is an arm that goes off to the east where the damn is and on the point formed from the canyon to the arm is a pretty sure bet for catching fish.  It gets deep fast though so you''ll be drilling like 10 feet off shore and fishing in 30'.  Try using a big crawler and the browns usually can't resist too long.  Good luck and be prepared for some wind.

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:31 PM »
I've always had the most luck down the canyon.  There is an arm that goes off to the east where the d**n is and on the point formed from the canyon to the arm is a pretty sure bet for catching fish.  It gets deep fast though so you''ll be drilling like 10 feet off shore and fishing in 30'.  Try using a big crawler and the browns usually can't resist too long.  Good luck and be prepared for some wind.

can you explain in beter detail where this point is and what to use? i  never fished it and ill give it a whirl..doesnt the current from the river make it sketchy to fish on?

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:36 PM »
When your walking down the canyon from the main body of the lake the will be a small arm of the resevoir that turns to the right.  Right before that there is a small cover and a point.  I've had luck fishing at both.  We consistanty catch 20" browns however the rainbows are a little bit more difficult to pin point.  Try using a fusia pink jig or lime green with a nice big crawler.  You'll have to let them play with it a little since the bait is a little bigger or you'll miss a bunch.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:59 PM »
Headed out there tomarrow.....probably going to fish the first arm as you come into the lake.  Im assuming we're talking about harrison lake aka. Willow Creek Reservoir.

Offline cruzin4abruzin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:52 AM »
I am very sorry everyone and hope you all understand. I am talking about Willow Creek Reservoir by Augusta, MT not Harrison Lake aka Willow Creek Reservoir by Three Forks, MT. I was not at the time of my posting aware that there was two of them and I will be sure to note where the location is better in any other posting I may do. Again sorry for the confusion. :'(
Mandy

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:05 AM »
I am very sorry everyone and hope you all understand. I am talking about Willow Creek Reservoir by Augusta, MT not Harrison Lake aka Willow Creek Reservoir by Three Forks, MT. I was not at the time of my posting aware that there was two of them and I will be sure to note where the location is better in any other posting I may do. Again sorry for the confusion. :'(
Mandy
darn I thought you were talking about Willow Creek resevoir west of Lodge Grass,MT and I thought it was the only one  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline cruzin4abruzin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Well I never claimed smarts and beauty and no I am not  blonde ;D ;D ;D

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Cruzin4abruzin,
Better luck on Nilan Res than WC ;)......Nilan is a bit closer; you can park by the boat launch.  Walk out 50/60yds straight off the launch.  Use Northland Buckshot Rattle spoon & the Forage Minnow Jig'n spoon tipped with maggots.  Bows for most of the day! Higher the barometer or clearer the ice the deeper you fish.  Good Luck!! :tipup:
Z
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline lingslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:16 PM »
I have fished willow creek by Lodge Grass about 10 years ago and did real good. rezeye do you still know if the fishing is any good there.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:31 PM »
I have fished willow creek by Lodge Grass about 10 years ago and did real good. rezeye do you still know if the fishing is any good there.
crow tribal permit required and i have never fished it through the ice but that is going to change i guess it has been good fishing past couple of years since the drought backed off as far as particulars the fish are rainbows, browns, and some silver salmon but i wont know till i catch some

Offline lingslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:06 PM »
About 10 years ago my cousin and I took his 7 year old son there. We knocked em dead as fast as we could hook them, he would reel them in as far as i can remember they were all nice size rainbow and a few real nice silvers.i heard that it was droughted out real bad and have never went back. i still can see the smile on that kids face,boy did he have a good time.If I rtemember right the wind blows alot up there so the ice is black and slick as heck ice cleats would be a good thing to take. Let me knoe how you do. :)

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:53 AM »
About 10 years ago my cousin and I took his 7 year old son there. We knocked em dead as fast as we could hook them, he would reel them in as far as i can remember they were all nice size rainbow and a few real nice silvers.i heard that it was droughted out real bad and have never went back. i still can see the smile on that kids face,boy did he have a good time.If I rtemember right the wind blows alot up there so the ice is black and slick as heck ice cleats would be a good thing to take. Let me knoe how you do. :)
Lingslayer,
Glad to finally here someone did well up there, and a kid better yet.  But the place must be fished out! Been there a mess of times with never a fish caught.  Even the derby up there, been a few times and no one ever really catches anything decent >:(!!  I remember 2 maybe 3 years back the biggest fish caught was the $50 sucker prize. Started going to Nilan and it's been night and day difference, never been there and been skunked! And like you said the wind isn't as bad at Nilan :tipup:
Z
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.