Author Topic: DIY Tip Ups  (Read 3675 times)

Offline daveped

• IceShanty Rookie
DIY Tip Ups
« on: Jul 15, 2019, 02:23 PM »
The hot weather has me hard water dreaming already...we're making our first trip out of state to New York for some pike fishing at Black Lake. Most of our tip ups are set up for bass, trout, etc. Not too many heavy duty ones for anything heavier. Got me thinking about making my own. I'm still pretty new at this so forgive me if there is already a thread on this. Is it worth it? Or are we better off just buying more tip ups?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: DIY Tip Ups
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2019, 02:56 PM »
I'm not a tip-up guy anymore thanks to JawJackers, but these look like real quality builds.  Just trying to give you an option you might not otherwise be aware of.

https://forestcitytraps.com

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline daveped

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2019, 09:49 AM »
No I appreciate the input. I've never tried anything like those before. We have a few rod holders we made from coat hangers, but that's about it. Definitely something to look into!

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2019, 09:00 AM »
Built a dozen for the family this summer....  Big traps,. 43" with a 30" spring.   4" reels... 90% all stainless/aluminum hardware.. total cost was about $18/trap unlined.

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2019, 06:48 PM »
Built a dozen for the family this summer....  Big traps,. 43" with a 30" spring.   4" reels... 90% all stainless/aluminum hardware.. total cost was about $18/trap unlined.

Nice work!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2019, 03:18 AM »
I'm not a tip-up guy anymore thanks to JawJackers, but these look like real quality builds.  Just trying to give you an option you might not otherwise be aware of.

Hey DNinja make your own Jawjacker.

Easy/cheap to make just a board, pc PVC pipe, and a mouse trap took me about 20 minutes. I have two PVC pipes for short and longer poles.

After I took the first pic I added a tie to the tip so the trip wire would not run thru the eye. Doing this also gives the rod tip more time to get out of the way of the slapping jaw.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2019, 06:01 AM »

Easy/cheap to make just a board, pc PVC pipe, and a mouse trap took me about 20 minutes. I have two PVC pipes for short and longer poles.

After I took the first pic I added a tie to the tip so the trip wire would not run thru the eye. Doing this also gives the rod tip more time to get out of the way of the slapping jaw.

(Image removed from quote.)

I like the setup musky. What length and action of rod do you like for pike? I'm thinking 36" M, maybe ML? Also, would twist ties work as well as rubber bands?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2019, 06:22 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

If you don't want to put your rod under tension, post #33 on this link is what I came up with using a rat trap.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=344851.msg3673391#msg3673391
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Awesome idea!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I like the setup musky. What length and action of rod do you like for pike? I'm thinking 36" M, maybe ML? Also, would twist ties work as well as rubber bands?

I mainly use for crappie bass or eyes there's no Pike close me. I would say for Pike fishing you would have to use dead bait a big pike minnow would spring the trap. I would think the tension of the rod would stretch a rubber band allot so you wouldn't get much bend in the rod, the big bend tension is what sets the hook. Without a big bend there wouldn't be enough tension to set the hook.

If I was to pike fish and didn't have a tipup I would do what we did yrs ago for bass. Used a regular heavy fishing pole with a river bobbers w/orange ball on top you can see them far away. We'd open the bail so when a bass hit it pulled line out. Let them run a little then set the hook. If the ice is clear enough you can see which direction the big bobber goes.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2019, 08:25 PM »
easy to build and cheap(make 5 for 20$)

never even glued it together so it breaks down to pack out.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.