Author Topic: How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?  (Read 74357 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Re: How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?
« Reply #150 on: Jan 13, 2013, 04:50 PM »
I used to just attach my ducer to an old tipup, but it got in the way of jigging
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #151 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Hummingbird makes an ice transducer for the pirranahmax series. Would I have to get one of those? Has anyone ruined their transducer from their boat from ice fishing and then having it literally freeze out of the water? I'm kind of worried that water enters the transducer, freezes and expands to break the transducer.  That ice transducer is about the same cost as my complete pirranahmax so I doubt I'll get one of those.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:32 PM »
been using a humminbird fishin buddy 110 this year just for depth and to show me where the fish are in the water column... works good for that but I really want to get a lowrance ice  machine

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #153 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:49 PM »
There are some great ideas on this post thanks guys
Tight lines and big fish

Offline Caster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:30 AM »
Here's mine, I did it like this after reading about leveling problems, tracking the lure and tangling of line at the hole. I drill two holes side by side and place my ducer just below (about 1"-2") the ice now. I can tilt or level in any direction and no longer have any problems.

http://www.lakesimcoeoutdoors.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6271

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:09 AM »
Just to let you guys know if you have any model eagle/lowrance that uses the same male end of the transducer as the elite-5, which alot do (you can call lowrance to confirm)  You can get the ppp-18 ice pack.  I have a eagle 642c df and it fits and works perfect.  Its a nice case, the same one that comes on the elite-5 ice machine, it has the ice transducer, 12v battery and charger, a spot for an additional battery, and 2 little tackleboxes.  I got mine for 120$, alot cheaper than a flasher and works great.  Its nice to have a gps out there as well, plus youll be able to see all your waypoints and marks from boatfishing.  Also this way you can just leave you skimmer transducer on your boat and just swap the unit between the two.

Offline icecold23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #156 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:57 AM »
Not nearly as creative of some of the setups on this board...but I picked up the portable case and ice transducer for my Humminbird 788ci.  It will be going on its maiden voyage this weekend.  It will be nice to have GPS and Flasher in one unit.  But, I'll still be taking my FL-18 with as backup.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #157 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:12 AM »
Not nearly as creative of some of the setups on this board...but I picked up the portable case and ice transducer for my Humminbird 788ci.  It will be going on its maiden voyage this weekend.  It will be nice to have GPS and Flasher in one unit.  But, I'll still be taking my FL-18 with as backup.

I bought a soft case and ice transducer for my 787c. You are going to like it. I use mine in chart mode on the fastest scroll speed, and the real time sonar is still in the bar on the right. I have had some interference noise, but in graph mode it isn't bad. I added a plastic tube in the side pouch to hold the transducer, I drilled some small drainage holes in it.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #158 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Smelt so thick I had to crank up the gain to see the bottom  :o.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #159 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:32 AM »
if you have a fl-18 just buy a ice ducer right from vexilar you can get 9,12,19 or 9,19 degree cones it will screw right on . they are around 120.00 bucks
what is and what should never be

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #160 on: Nov 23, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Just wanted to get this back towards the top to give those folks who use or want to use normal fishfinders for Ice Fishing ideas on how they might do so.. Happy Fishing!   :)
Marvin

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:59 PM »
I put this rig together using a Humminbird Fishing Buddy 110 that I got off craigslist for$35, the padded cover on Ebay for 6$, and a Stansport 1lb propane bottle holder $5 off Amazon, and a piece of stiff foam kneepad that I cut to fit to hold the bottle holder in place.  The bottle holder has swing out feet that expand it from about 6-3/4" to 11-5/8"+-, so it works best on 6" and 8" holes.  I originally got the fish finder for my pond boat and liked it so much I thought it might be worth a try for ice fishing too.  I have tried it and it works pretty good for getting your depth and seeing fish under the hole.  I found you need to use LiIon rechargeable batteries because regular alkaline batteries don't work as good in the cold.  If you have one remember to put the scroll rate on fast and the sensitivity on high.  The whole thing is 35" long and skinny so it fits in my sled good on the top of the pile, bungeed down next to my auger.  I like just being able to pop off the transducer cover, stick it in the hole and turn it on.  Nothing to set up, no wires or separate transducers to fool with.  It is nice for being on the move.

“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I used my hummingbird for a few years but then I bought a flasher, not tuning back unless the flasher poops the bed

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:19 PM »
I used my Lowrance HDS5 on saltwater boat, freshwater boat, kayak, and on ice.  Now I am without as I sold boat with HDS included.  I will soon be getting another Lowrance.  I am impressed with all the many ideas and inventions posted to make them work on ice.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #164 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:29 PM »
I have a lowrance x510c that is on the front of my boat, I take it off and put it with the portable ice pack and use it.  it has a flasher mode on it that works great great and an ice machine setting.

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Nov 23, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Anyone ever try those Hawkeye or similar fish finders ice fishing? Portable run on 4aa batteries and are only like 50$ ? They say to keep it above -4 deg but that would be fine to use in my shack w my big buddy running. Even if it does not mark fish may be nice for marking depth

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Have a Humminbird 570 with and Ice ducer works great. You can use the regular transducer that comes with it you just have to use one of the method shown in these post.. If anyone has questions on how to use a regular fish finder contact me and i'll try to help you out or just scroll thru the 8 pages of instructions on here.

Happy Fishing.
Marvin

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I used my hummingbird for a few years but then I bought a flasher, not tuning back unless the flasher poops the bed

Someday I'd like to have a flasher too, but right now I've only got $46 tied up in this and I use it in the summer too.  I'm retired so I like $46 a lot better than $460 as long as it finds the bottom a pings a few fish.  Maybe someday I'll bumble across a nice flasher at a garage sale or on Craigslist...  ; - )
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #168 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Just got a Lowranca elite 5 this year.  I used my mark5  before that.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #169 on: Nov 30, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Bump
Marvin

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #170 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:24 PM »
I purchased a new Lowrance Elite 4 GPS/Chartplotter/Fishfinder this spring for my kayak. I learned that they also made an ice transducer for 60$. So the standard transducer stays in the yak, and I got the ice ducer for the hardwater. Now I can mark those hot holes on my GPS for future trips.

Picked up a waterproof box to mount the holder to and store the battery. Whole thing fits in my old 6pack softside cooler.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:35 PM »
I use my Lowrance M68c....both the flasher and normal screen views

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Dec 05, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Bump some more...
Marvin

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #173 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:58 PM »
im surprised everybody goes with the making of something to hold the transducer. I just used and old small tip up in need of some help, removed all the hardware and mouned the ducer at the bottom. so it looks like an other tip up without a flag. when I store it I just wrap the wire up and drop it in the bucket with the rest of my tip ups, and head unit goes with the cooler with the Rigid batteries to keep from freezin

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #174 on: Dec 24, 2014, 06:16 PM »
I just love all these Ideas and like to keep this towards the top of the threads so those in need might come across it and can use some of everyones ideas.. ;)
Marvin

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Dec 24, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I use my Lowrance M68c...I like the scroll view the best...I just cannot get used to the flasher or the flasher is not as good as the Vex or Marcum...on the scroll sreen I see everything from bait to bows

Offline jferlicka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Dec 24, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Yes...I have a hummingbird that I convert in the winter, use two 1x1 wood about 36inch  long with a wing nut, attach the transducer to end with a wing nut and good to go. It folds up and fits in ice sled and put fish finder in a pelican case. Have been doing it for over 15 yrs with no issues. I wired it to two 6 volt batteries.

Offline mickeyl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Dec 24, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Use the Hunmminbird 570 on ice all the time.  Drill a half-hole near the one I'm fishing in, add some water, and put the transducer right in there.  Reads through the ice fine if it's good, clear ice, which is common here in Western Montana.  Only complaint is that in <20 feet of water, the read is narrow, but that's not insurmountable. 
Good fishing to you!

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #178 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:03 PM »
If any one ever needs Idea's this is the thread. Boy I love what guys come up with! :)
Marvin

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:23 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.