Author Topic: How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?  (Read 74347 times)

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 07, 2009, 03:18 PM »
WHER DID YOU FIND THIS 12V 8AMP HR BATTERY? WHAT STORE WOULD CARRY THEM?

Picked mine and a charger up at Gander Mountain, $25.

Cabela's has a battery/charger combo for $29.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline BASS4ME

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SOUTHERN VT ROOKIE
« Reply #61 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:31 PM »
AWESOME THANKS FOR THE INFO JUST ORDERED TODAY ONE FROM CABELAS. LOOKS LIKE IT WILL FIT IN THE TACKLE BOX ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER WIRE AND FISH FINDER. THANKS AGAIN :tipup:

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #62 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:31 PM »
I looked at gander mt today and they said they were out currently but they would have some in about a month. I asked what they cost and he said the battery was 35 and the charger was 20.... I left.

I just ordered one from cabelas for 29.99. Battery and charger.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:16 PM »
ok this thread is great, alot of awesome ideas and I couldnt help myself had to put my hummingbird to use.I was gonna go the 5 gal bucket method then I started looking around the sshop and I found an old tackle box, with a little "remodeling of it I came up with this.(velcro will be added to the box top and base shortly)

transducer mount

all packed up

and ready to travel

the best part is that under the lid is storage for all kinds jigs and things, no need for separate boxes.(still gotta fill it up)

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Last year I used my fishing buddy 1001
It worked well. Just turn the light on if it gets to cold.

I just sent for a marcum vx1 pro for this year

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Just got mine completed

Now I have to wait until next Friday for the battery to come from cabelas
EYECONICFISHING

Offline steelieATC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 10, 2009, 11:41 AM »
How did you like the fishin buddy? going to try it on the hard water soon. How is the delay? thanks for the info

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 10, 2009, 04:31 PM »
It worked great
I can even see my line.
Used it in up to 60 feet of water
I bought a bracket for it on e-bay that holds it
in place.

After using my camera for the first time today I think a fish finder or flasher is
all you need. Depth, fish, line, structure, weeds

The fishing buddy worked fine
now I'm getting a VX1 pro
I hope I don't miss my LCD

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:07 PM »
I recieved my battery from cabelas today. Hooked it up and it worked great in the koi pond. Cant wait for this weekend!!!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Boston Tangler

• NoReportPost
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:31 AM »
Tight lines Tangler - it's better than sitting on the boat or work bench for the winter - right. Happy huntin!

I haven't quite figured out how to put a picture up yet, but I used my "RedNexilar" this past weekend and it worked perfectly. 8hrs on 1 rechargeable screw gun battery with power to spare. I caught several crappie that I otherwise wouldn't have known to bring my bait up to. I could see both lines and fish clearly and had no problems with the screen 'freezing' up.(Inside a heated hut) I can't wait to get thing out on the big water this year.
Beer...the cause and cure of most of life's problems...

Offline novice2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:42 PM »
I've got an Eagle Fishmark 480 and just picked up a puck transducer.  Anyone know the best settings to use for this for ice fishing?  Thanks.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:47 PM »
This will be my first year using a fishfinder on the ice. I bought a used x67c in the summer and going this weekend for the first time.  I feel like a Fat Rat in a cheese factory ......can't wait......
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #72 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:53 PM »
Ive been doing this for a while.  Funny, most Vexies thoughtI was nuts. 

Thanks for confirming my sanity.  Have never shot it thru the ice though... Thanks for the tip.

M.I.R.C. 

Offline 185xlt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Saw this thread and remembered I had a garmin 240 fish finder collectin dust up north.  Made a nice little wood box used a small dirt bike batt.  Its more entertaining then my camera, It has a flasher option on it and I just love it now.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:11 PM »
Wow.  See what I started.   I'd been using mine for years also.  I've been using my Vexilar for the past few years though and haven't brought out my old fishfinder.  However, I just picked up a new Eagle for my boat and plan on trying it on the ice when I get around to it.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 16, 2009, 04:08 AM »
Ive been doing this for a while.  Funny, most Vexies thoughtI was nuts. 

Thanks for confirming my sanity.  Have never shot it thru the ice though... Thanks for the tip.

Shooting throught the ice will only give depth as far as my experience confirms.

Offline brokeinNYS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #76 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:03 AM »
check out a progressive model craft stores in the area - the local store here is very helpful in checking out chargers and can usually advise on problems involving chargers and batteries. Keep in mind many of the models they sell are involved in flying model aircraft and radio controlled cars use similar battery setups.

Offline wifisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 16, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I see that most guys have their ducer hanging off the side of thier set up. I was thinking about putting mine off the front, anyone else do that? This is what mine looks like- Sorry its a little big
Whether its hard or soft, I'll fish em both

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Jan 16, 2009, 01:23 PM »

EYECONICFISHING

Offline bostoned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:17 PM »
I was going to set-up my new fish finder the way that most set them up for Kayak fishing.  Using 8 "AA" batteries.  Then I can use rechargable batteries and you may need to recharge them every other trip or so, but since I already have the battery recharger and the rechargable batteries I figured that is the way I would go.

Does anyone else set it up that way? 

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_view.asp?Kayak_Articles=39

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Thats good stuff! :clap: I was just talking to my Dad about this going to give it a go! ;D

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:51 AM »
Now I'm either going to have to drive up to the cabin and take the Humminbird WIDE unit and transducer off the row boat and bring everything back down here...you guys really have too much time on your hands... ;D  I even have an old tackle box for this.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:01 AM »

I have this exact portable case for my Humminbird, got off Ebay for less than $20 shipping in. It is fantastic, you can run the finder off the 8 AA batteries or the power cable and what ever source you want
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline gunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:21 AM »
Those of you who have the cuda 168; do you set the scroll speed as low as it can go ??  One more question where do you set the sensitivity level ??  I'm getting a lot of lines at the top of my screen that tend to blend with what I believe is the bottom reading.  Any advice would be great!!  Gunner

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #84 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:30 AM »
I have the Eagle FIshproID gunner which I believe is comparable to yours and I set the scroll at Max. so I get a picture as often as possible and I set the sensitivity at 50 percent.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #85 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:36 AM »
I have the Vexilar FL18 and love it.  Just curious how many people just use their regular fishfinder for the hardwater season?  I have a unit that is rigged with the blue "Genz box" that I always used prior to my Vexilar purchase.  The only problem I had was getting the darned transducer to sit level.  If you use your fishfinder how did you rig your transducer? 
i have mine set up in a orange box and the transducer is mounted on the side that i can turn straight down the hole while fishing. inside the box is the battery and the unit is bolted to the top of the box. the size of the box is about the size of a plano tackle box.maybe 5x12x5.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:23 AM »
I don't use the cuda but I start at very low sensitivity and increase until I can see my bait and stop there. Scroll speed should be max to give you most up to date info at right hand edge of screen
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:45 AM »
Shooting throught the ice will only give depth as far as my experience confirms.
It will also show weeds.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:23 PM »
I purchase this Fishing' Buddy and made this frame for it. This model has sidefinder as well as depthfinder. I will be able to use this ice fishing, on my float tube as well as my boat.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #89 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:28 PM »
I have one of those fishin buddys for 5 years and hate it. Its just awkward to carry, use, and store.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.