Author Topic: How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?  (Read 74356 times)

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How many use your normal fishfinder for hardwater?
« Reply #120 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Here's my set-up.
This box I made many years ago & is currently holding it's 3rd fishfinder.

This is the main compartment as packed for travel with a new Hummingbird PiranhaMax 170. If you look closely you can see the extra battery(had the extra battery & room for it so why not bring it) behind the fishfinder.

This is the main battery compartment.

And this is how I rigged the transducer to float.

Best Wishes: Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Keeper Reaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rapture of the Deep
« Reply #121 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:43 AM »
haven't seen this thread since last year - OMG !

and why haven't we gone to MARS yet ?
All NASA needs to do is lie to some ice fisherman and say that they detected something swimming under the polar ice cap on MARS and i bet you you guys would figure out a way to get there with what you have in your garage, as long as it would carry an auger - lol  ;D

GREAT IDEAS ! Better than sitting on your boat for the winter, right ? Had about a year to play with my 5 gallon fishfinder... picks up 1/32 ounce jig in 20 ft of water. Not really an expert on jigging with electronics, but it has been fun.

KR

Offline wolverine-iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Thanks for confirming,getting old and  CRS ;)

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:11 PM »
WOW, i kinda thought for ahwile i might have been then only one...LOL i guess not.
have been using a humminbird 535 for awhile, absolutely love it. My rig has changed shape several times, a cat litter bucket was the first, worked great, ive since down sized to a marine battery box for a boat, mush smaller.

My question is, has anybody came up with a floating rig for a humminbird transducuer? My transducer set-up now is similar to those pictured. But im constantly having to tinker with it on the ice, going from shallow to deep water requires me to change the angle slightly. Have tried a few protoypes with foam pool noodle, just cant over come the angling, caused by both the design of the transducer and how the cable comes out of the back of the ducer.

HB 8)
P.S i can see a 1/80th jig/wax worm down to about 30fow before its gets to faint, up it to a 1/32 or 1/16, and i can get well over 50fow, sensitivity all the way up, chart speed 9.
P.S.S i call mine the "redneck vex" but rednexilar has a better ring i'll admit.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #124 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:01 AM »
chevy hillbilly if you look at my post 3 above yours you will see pictures on how I rigged my Hummingbird transducer.
For it to hang level from a float by the cord you require some way of getting the transducer to hang level when suspended by the cord. In accomplished this by attaching a metal strap used to attach a chain link fence to the post through the transducer pivot hole. To the strap I pulled tied the transducer cord and played with the angle of the strap & tension & position of the cord until it hung level when suspended by holding the cord. When it's level tighten the bolt holding the strap & tighten the pull ties.
I used the same set-up on my older Hummingbird LCR Portable transducer.

Hope this helps;Rick

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:11 AM »
woodsman, i have tried several set-ups like you posted there, but my transducer, the cable comes out from near the back and offset. I have tried leaving the mounting braket on, and taking it off. I can get it somewhat level, but never consistently. And the 20 degree beam is touchy, just a little off will drive you nuts.
Gonna give it another go today, ive got some down time from fishing, might as well put it to use.

Also somebody asked earlier how long you can go on a charge. I use a lawn tractor battery from wal-mart, $23, and i can go nearly a season with out charge. Its also handy, because i can run lights, my buddys electronics, fans ect with out ever worrying about battery drainage. Lugging the extra weight isnt the greatest.

HB 8)

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:57 PM »
I use a Humminbird piranha MAX210, I just took the suction cup off and mounted the transducer to a 1x3 shoe that I made. It works great for what I want. I will see fish on the screen but I am sure that the angle of the beam is a lot smaller than most  so it must only pick up fish directly under me. But it works well for the depths, and that is mostly what I need it for.
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline kettlesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:30 PM »
Jonserfish-

Sorry this is so long since your question, but my wife bought me the Hawkeye portable fish finder for Christmas this year.  I know most people would say it is not a "real" fish finder, but I absolutely love mine.  I built a box for it so I can set it near the hole and see the screen (like a vex), have a place for the wire/transducer storage, and not let it fall down the hole (it is otherwise small enough to fit in your hand).  I was concerned that it wouldn't do a good job of really marking fish, but I tell you, on all my bites and caught fish, this thing told me the fish were there.  Now I can't imagine panfishing without it.  The best part was, my wife got it for $46 online.

kettlesfisher.

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Is that the one they carry at Harbor Freight for around $50.00?

Offline tgoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:36 PM »
My first post... bear with me please.  I use my Eagle Sonar/GPS combo mounted on a portable transducer bracket screwed on to a 6 gallon bucket.  Have a rechargeable 12v battery I set in the bucket.  Use alligator clips to get juice from the battery,  The nice thing about this rig is I get both the sonar as well as the GPS waypoint and mapping capability.   If I should happen to find a Hot Spot, I just pop in the save waypoint and there it is.  When the ice is gone I just re-attach the whole shooting match to the back of my 14 footer and go fishing on the water.

Offline kettlesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:08 PM »
I looked on Harbor Freight and couldn't find any type of fish finder- sorry.

Offline Ten90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Mar 06, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Here's my set-up.
This box I made many years ago & is currently holding it's 3rd fishfinder.
(Image removed from quote.)
This is the main compartment as packed for travel with a new Hummingbird PiranhaMax 170. If you look closely you can see the extra battery(had the extra battery & room for it so why not bring it) behind the fishfinder.
This is the main battery compartment.
And this is how I rigged the transducer to float.

Best Wishes: Rick

Great set-up Woodsman!

What did you use for the float?

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #132 on: Mar 06, 2010, 10:13 AM »
i had a hummingbird wide 100 i use on a alum. boat. i made brackets to mount it on the boat so they can be removed when not in use. mounted em on a bucket like reapers,his is alot nicer,and i love it. after using it this season i could never ice fish without electronics again! will eventually upgrade to a made for ice settup but works great for now. after finding out how many others do the same i don`t feel like such a freak anymore. our ice days are coming to an end here,hope everyone`s season faired well this year and good luck on your next one!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #133 on: Mar 06, 2010, 10:23 AM »
I haven't read all 6 pages of this post but I used my FL 8 for about 15 years on my boat for the bow mount locator and ice fishing. Don't be cheap buy another transducer, and power cable, mounting brackets etc. Then it is a 5 min. job to switch from boat to ice fishing.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:06 PM »
One thing I've gone with this winter is letting the ducer sit below the bottom edge of the ice and then to prevent tangles, have the ducer sit like a piece of corner molding on the bottom of the ice.  So when I have it in the water all I see if the front/point of the ducer and the back edge of it is covered by the ice.  I then put the cord into a high tech pinch device (clothe pin).

I also modified my carry case.  I took the switch panel out of an old portable craftsman rechargeable air compressor.  I then wired the board to my battery wires.  When I need to recharge, I just plug in the charger that came with the old air compressor.  The board has a prptection circuit to prevent over charging and also has indicator lights for charge level..red, yellow and green.  It also has a 12v cigarette plug outlet to use as a secondary power source.

"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Mar 06, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Great set-up Woodsman!
What did you use for the float?
I used a piece of foam I found at a surplus store for 49 cents.
I have seen some people use a piece of a kids pool noodle for similar results.
Cut on one side to the middle (a hollow center is best) then insert the cord & use electrical ties to secure. Tighten enough so that the transducer cord won't slide without a firm pull so that you can adjust the depth that the transducer hangs below the float so that it is just below the bottom of the ice.

Rick

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #136 on: Mar 06, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Just got this guy a few weeks ago...

http://store.humminbird.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=307379

Was suprised at how much detail it had.  Zoom on the bottom and all.  Wasn't expecting to be able to pick up my hook on such a cheapo finder... but alas I was very impressed.  Includes battery, and charger.

Now I just need to read the last 6 pages on how to solve the level transducer issue.  Why are they offset to begin with??
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline Ten90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:01 PM »
Princess Auto?  (I'm from Barrie as well)

I used a piece of foam I found at a surplus store for 49 cents.
I have seen some people use a piece of a kids pool noodle for similar results.
Cut on one side to the middle (a hollow center is best) then insert the cord & use electrical ties to secure. Tighten enough so that the transducer cord won't slide without a firm pull so that you can adjust the depth that the transducer hangs below the float so that it is just below the bottom of the ice.

Rick

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #138 on: Mar 08, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Princess Auto?  (I'm from Barrie as well)
Actually the KW Surplus outlet in Stratford.
Pool noodles also work good & should be easy to find. One noodle should be good for 5-6 floats.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #139 on: Mar 09, 2010, 06:34 AM »
This has been my setup for years. I keep the transducer at the surface to easily adjust it as needed. Sometimes you get into a current and the jigs wont show as they get out of the cone angle. Also it is rigged on a swing arm so it stores easily and if you need it can be swung out of the way for bigger fish. As you can see it is made from a 2" x1" thick wood doll. drilled to adapt a 1/4" rod the rod was flattened and drilled to accept a 1/4" bolt with a nylock nut the other rod flattend also and sandwiched 2 pieces of 16ga sheetmetel and drilled to adapt the transducer all this stays quite nice no slipping and is very adjustable.

Offline ND_Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Just finished mine I know this thread is old but it helped me a lot to make mine and I know it will help more! I took some ideas from some different people and combined them! Thanks guys!

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Dec 12, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Im wondering if it is important to have the transducer below the bottom of the ice or if it can be 1ft under or just 1ft down if the ice is, say 3ft thick? will it affect the reading? and also i might get a little bit of sway with my set-up.  Just wondering if this will affect readings as well?

also i have an elite 4X and wondering the best settings for the ice? I usually fish no deeper than around 35ft.  Or just trial and error?

thx guys!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Dec 12, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Im wondering if it is important to have the transducer below the bottom of the ice or if it can be 1ft under or just 1ft down if the ice is, say 3ft thick? will it affect the reading? and also i might get a little bit of sway with my set-up.  Just wondering if this will affect readings as well?
Best results will be with the transducer just under the bottom of the ice.
also i have an elite 4X and wondering the best settings for the ice? I usually fish no deeper than around 35ft.  Or just trial and error?
Use the sonar screen & not the flasher screen.
Adjust the sensitivity so that your bait/lure just shows consistently.
Keep the scroll speed nearer the faster end.

Offline Steellord2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Here is my version of the "Rednexilar" My brother in law made the caddy for my old Pirahnamax 160 so that I could put it in a 5 gallon bucket!

Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
Use in that order!

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Modifiy Your Fish Finder for Ice Fishing 

Check this video out, it's a really cheap home-made mod for turning you open water finder into an ice unit.

Might help you out.

Good luck!
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Offline razorsedge31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Jan 10, 2013, 02:33 PM »
So after reading about every post about turning your Open Water fish finder into an Ice fishing machine. I thought that my LMS 520c would would work so I decided that I would buy the Vex Ultra pak and used the puck Transducer from my trolling motor. In The pictures you can see I had to rig the transducer redneck style but after coming off the ice and talking to others who got skunk for the day I will never fish blind again. My boys got a kick out of it and took over my hole and even caught fish . Now there asking me to get the other one I have up and running so they can fish with it too.

Updated pics. Ice ducer for all three units..

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #146 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:16 PM »
SHOWDOWN
Master Laker taker.

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Nice.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #148 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:28 PM »
I have an Eagle 250 that I use on my kayak, and on the ice.  Its been around a while but it still works just fine.

I have the head mounted on the battery base with RAM mounts to aid in positioning it to see better.  The RAM ball is simply held on with electrical tape wrapped around the battery.

The transducer is held level with a small cable clamp wrapped around a piece of copper ground wire taped to the 'ducer's cable.  Its all held afloat with a piece of pool noodle.

Its all packed into a nice padded case
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Jan 13, 2013, 04:29 PM »
here's mine i just finished.. More of a prototype.. I will make modifications in the future.. and update with nicer woods

complete with composite hockeystick transducer mount.. I knew there was a reason I saved my old sticks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.