Author Topic: Keep pop up or go to 2 man flip over?  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keep pop up or go to 2 man flip over?
« on: Nov 11, 2020, 06:11 PM »
Hi,

Trying to decide if I should get a 2 person flip over or stay with my Eskimo 949I. Right now I fish with a 1 man flip over myself absolutely love it for just me I move quite a bit I’m out about 85% with this. The other 15% out with the wife or teaching neighbor kids, other adults. don’t move to much or I go out alone and hole hop weather permitting. The only reason I would like the 2 person is a little quicker to set up than a pop up on windy days and could move quicker if need be. Cons are I have a Traverse I could fit many 2 person houses but not a lot of room left over. No real good off season storage for it. They are very costly. I had one for a very short while but it was so heavy I could not drag it and everything else without dying of a heart attack. they seem to get heavier? Should I move up or stay. A do love the pop up sometimes I like to be lazy and put a rattle reel in one corner jig in the other and stay put on cold days. If it matters I only pan fish crappies and sunnies and sometimes rattle reel or tip up for pike only on nice days.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Keep pop up or go to 2 man flip over?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2020, 06:36 PM »
I had a 2 man flip years ago, had lots of room, but was very heavy once I got all my gear in it, on windy days still need to fool with ice anchors to keep it from being a ice boat. Bought a eskimo popup a couple years ago and love it, have downsized my sled and gear, so not much weight to pull and still fits easily in the old lady's van, easy to move, but me and the boy don't usually take it down, just each grab a corner and go. If it was me I'd stay with the hub.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2020, 06:58 PM »
I have an uninsulated two man flip that I love to use. I also have a side by side to tow it. It weighs 73 lbs and is pretty bulky for one person to load into my pickup. I can take the seats out of it which makes it easier. I also have an Eskimo Quickfish 4 and an Eskimo Quickfish 3i so I have a choice when fishing alone. I love having the extra room that comes with a two man flip and if I choose to I can leave one of the seats in my pickup.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2020, 07:29 PM »
I had the 949i I foiund it way to big for me, and way to large to pack around so I sold it.    I picked up a quickfish 3 and set up to find it about the correct size I think, need ice for the final test. It works well set up on the lawn. I think I will get good use out of it on the occasions when I have it out.
Thread killer

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:01 PM »
I had the 949i I foiund it way to big for me, and way to large to pack around so I sold it.    I picked up a quickfish 3 and set up to find it about the correct size I think, need ice for the final test. It works well set up on the lawn. I think I will get good use out of it on the occasions when I have it out.
You'll like the Quick fish, it's what I have and can fit 3 people if needed.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:45 PM »
I have the Quick Fish 3i and the Quick Fish 6 non-insulated.  My son and I use the 3i all the time.  The 6
hasn't been used in years.  I only keep it in case my brother and his kids come.  Years ago I had an old green Quick Flip 2. Honestly, I think it's a trade-off between the two and really depends on how you fish.  The Quick Fish is great and roomy once set up.  It's great if you don't plan on moving.  But you have to have a separate sled and chairs.  You have to take everything out of the sled to put inside, then put everything back in the sled when it's time to leave.  Not to mention, it's harder to set up and take down.  Ditch the storage bag and get cam-lock straps.  Everything you set on the floor is on ice, which means it will get wet.  The Quick Flip is easier and quicker to set up.  It has built in seats and everything stays in the sled and stays dry.  It is definitely the way to go for 4 wheeler run-and-gun fishing.  Keep the tow bar hooked up, it sets up in a minute.  The disadvantage if you are by yourself is throwing your back out trying to muscle a 70 lb sled in the pickup.  Also, finding room for summer storage is a pain.  I can fit both Quick Fishes in a closet.  Overall, I am happy with the Quick Fish.  If I had a 4 wheeler and moved around every hour, I'd get the Quick Flip.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2020, 08:49 PM »
I have a pop up for early ice and places I have to walk into and a 2 man flip over for hauling behind my snowmobile.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2020, 09:18 PM »
I have no other way besides pulling by hand. Or if lucky drive out but not to much.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2020, 09:25 PM »
Keep the pop up & get a 2 man flip...best of both worlds.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2020, 09:53 PM »
I was thinking about getting a flip this year and passed due to the weight and shipping prices.

I ended up picking the quick fish 2 insulated, I could fit two people in it with minimum gear but when needed just for myself it has more
then enough room.

On nice days I can just leave it in my Truck.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2020, 03:51 AM »
keep them both and add the 2 man you now have all bases covered  solo  with a buddy or group

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2020, 05:15 AM »
I have no other way besides pulling by hand. Or if lucky drive out but not to much.

Build a Smitty Sled...you won't regret it. It will haul EVERYTHING quite easily.

As for flip vs. hub...

Filp:
Heavier
Less roomy
Easier put up/take down
Portable / mobile
Self contained (mostly)

Hub:
Lighter
Roomier
More difficult PU/TD if solo
Not very mobile
Sled needed to carry it/accessories

I fished a flip for a few years...went without for several more...just purchased a hub for this season. Here's why...

Mostly because the pros outweigh the cons above. I want lightweight. I want room. I don't move around that much. If I do, it's only a short distance ( a little hole hopping ) from the shelter so I can jump in it to warm up if I get cold. If it's too windy, either don't bring it, find a partner or stay home. I also designed/built my Jet/Smitty sleds to accommodate everything. I am small and older so ease and comfort mean the most for me. I hope I did it right.😉

Hub, Jet Sled (with most accessories in it) and Smitty Sled all fit in the back of my truck (5' bed) with tonneau cover down. All fits on a shelf in a 4×8 shed when stored during the off season.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2020, 06:31 AM »
I’m in a similar situation. I currently have a one man flip for solo, and a 949i for a group (buddy has a 9416i for larger groups). I debated about a two man flip, but ultimately went with the QF2 (regret not waiting for the QF2i, and might make the switch) for solo or a quick & dirty two man trip.

I’m still looking at the possibility of getting a Clam Nanook to primarily use as a one man, but have the option to bring the second seat when someone is tagging along. However, most of the people that I bring along don’t want to hole hop aggressively enough to really justify the extra weight of the flip.

Unless you plan to constantly be on the move, I would look hard at the QF2i as an option.

No matter which way you go, anyone that drags by hand needs a Smitty Sled.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2020, 08:33 AM »
I bought a 2 man few+ years ago. It ways roughly 150 lbs  dry. I now only use it when the ice is thick enough for a wheeler. If I had to do it again I would have just bought a one man. I have a striker suit as well so a lot of the time I bring the shelter Im out in the elements as well. Even if I had a one man my guests could take turns warming up in it. A 2 man is just to bulky and heavy to drag by hand and I am a healthy fit guy. I have a smitty sled as well but because we get  a lot of snow and when it drifts its brutal hitting the drifts with that weight even with a smitty. Consider this though my drags on the one lake I go to are very long, thats also why I prefer to have a wheeler when the ice is thick enough.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:38 AM »
Eskimo Quickfish 5i pop and Sierra Insulate flip. I use them both depending on how many going with and what we are targeting. I started with the  QF5i and love it  though it is more than I need when its just me. Bought the Sierra flip last season and only took the QF5i out once. I went with the Sierra Insulated flip as it is one of the lightest 2man ones out there, its still heavy but I can load it by myself in back of Truck. Gonna build a smitty sled for it as it sucks to pull by hand in deep snow but otherwise its perfect for my uses. Even if I am hole hoping its nice to have along to get out of the elements if even for a few minutes. I will never get rid of the QF5i as its great when more people show up and want to go. One season was enough for me to see the benefit of the flip and I love my Sierra Insulated Flip. I do wish it had the doors in the side as it gets a bit tight and you have to watch where you step with finder heater and 2 holes for fishing but it works fine.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2020, 09:54 AM »
You might look at the ice house explorer:

https://icerunnerhouses.com/ice-house-explorer/

It is a nice size, and simple like a pop up- no chairs, bench seats, or batteries to add weight, and it is on sale now. Where you are you could pick it up and avoid shipping. You could use the same stuff to sit on you put in the pop up, and it even comes with a free cover. It seems to be tailor made for walkers- much lighter than the others.

I don't have one (yet), so I can't give a first person review.

:tipup:

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2020, 10:07 AM »
I have an older claim one man flip with expandable front and Otter cabin when 2-3 of us. Its the best of both.
I can easily handle the one man weighs 50 pounds and Otter is easy to heat when really cold.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2020, 12:35 PM »
Keep the one man flip-over and buy the 2 man flip-over then build a Smitty sled for the 2 man flip-over.  The tubs on the flip-over plow snow and that makes for a hard pull.  With the flip-over on a Smitty sled raised up 10" off the ice the pull is easy, snow or not.  Try it you'll like it am sure.

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:50 AM »
I'd just keep the pop up and forget about the flipover. I had a two man flip over,  with all my other gear it was heavy and it was a pain to pull when the snow got deep. As for wind I usually anchor down one side of my pop up before I set it up. For what a flipover costs you could invest that money into an electric auger.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I'd just keep the pop up and forget about the flipover. I had a two man flip over,  with all my other gear it was heavy and it was a pain to pull when the snow got deep. As for wind I usually anchor down one side of my pop up before I set it up. For what a flipover costs you could invest that money into an electric auger.

I agree, I also prefer a little more space inside my hut (8x8). On days I would want to bring the hut its also gear I would have to pull on the sled.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline blackshirt7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:01 AM »
For whats its worth, I also have a 949i. It’s a great shelter to set up and stay put. However I have tried to “run and gun”  with it during tournaments and it’s really not to efficient for that. I added an older 2 man uninsulated flip this year. It’s got enough room for 2, but since it’s a smaller flip the weight is not an issue. There is an huge weight difference between 2 man flip overs. I’m keeping the 949i for those days I want to settle in and get comfortable and using the flip for days I plan to move around

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.