New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: sacandaga challenge  (Read 20053 times)

Offline george33

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: sacandaga challenge
« Reply #300 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:38 AM »
We been fishing the walleye challenge for 5yrs and always have a blast! Now counting down the days until Fuel n Foods 3 day contest March  1st.
2012 Polaris Sportsman 500
Jiffy 10" Pro 4 Model 40
Heritage Laker Tip-Up's
Shappell DX4000 Cabin
Shappell Jet Sled XL

Offline beanhillbuckhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #301 on: Jan 29, 2013, 11:22 AM »
To add to the rumors for next year, I heard someone say they also want to give away a truck and bump it up to 2,000 entries.  I think a little bump would be ok, but parking is already a nightmare around the lake and at the awards.   I wouldn't mind seeing an extra hour tacked on in the beginning either, but cheating would have to be kept in check.  That whole mess with the entries going out this year, and then the thing about the guy buying hundreds and scalping them for a profit all needs to be corrected.  Overall the contest is still outstanding and sounds to be even better next year!  Looking forward to it...

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #302 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:25 PM »
 2000 entries,At $50 is $100,000 That leaves room for a lot of prizes. The more people that win  the more it will grow. A truck is a big chunk of money.In my opinion there should be more prizes than one big one. The way people sign up needs to be addressed as well as the number of people who fish.

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:38 PM »
could care less about the prizes but i realize that is the main draw of this event and the reason most enter.  I would like to see a large chunk of the money used to donate to the federation to purchase more walleye, as well as maybe organize something to put some pressure on the dec to re evaluate the fishery and possibly impose new limits or a slot on the lake. 

Offline TheDeadSea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #304 on: Jan 29, 2013, 01:12 PM »
I agree with wetsleeves^^^ :thumbsup:

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #305 on: Jan 29, 2013, 01:29 PM »
If they could raise enough money to start a small hatchery on the lake like Oneida. Or just keep stocking the walleyes. I agree that some of the money should go back in the lake. A larger slot for 18" and above would be a good place to start , Catch and realise any thing shorter than that. That would greatly increase the average size caught and increase the spawning numbers.

Offline carppone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #306 on: Jan 29, 2013, 01:46 PM »
they should just make it a pike tourny and have it prereg. and unlimited numbers. at 25 per person you dont want to give away two big of prizes because of taxes there is on tory allready making you fill out a tax form on the stop if you win over 599 . i bet your goin to see this more and more

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #307 on: Jan 29, 2013, 02:00 PM »
2000 entries,At $50 is $100,000 That leaves room for a lot of prizes. The more people that win  the more it will grow. A truck is a big chunk of money.In my opinion there should be more prizes than one big one. The way people sign up needs to be addressed as well as the number of people who fish.
not sure what one big prize you saw awarded, but I saw 3 the sled and 2 wheelers were probably pushing $8,000 each.

Offline beanhillbuckhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #308 on: Jan 29, 2013, 02:32 PM »
not sure what one big prize you saw awarded, but I saw 3 the sled and 2 wheelers were probably pushing $8,000 each.

he is saying if the contest gives away a truck next year as a prize, which is rumored.  And I agree- i would rather see that extra money go for maybe giving away 5 atvs/sleds instead of 3, and then whatever extra for putting more fish back into the dead sea.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #309 on: Jan 29, 2013, 02:44 PM »
gotcha, yeah I agree would rather see 5-6 machines and more door prizes. 10-15 augers, 10-15 flashers, 10-15 portables ect........ I agree there is plenty of room on the lake for people to fish but parking is another story. also with the constant worry of not having safe ice I wonder if it would make sense to move it back 2 weeks. make it the week after the northern challenge. just my .02.

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #310 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:58 PM »
I agree with o2rmk200 about the prizes.  I am not sure about adding fish at this point.  I would like to see proof that a large number of the ones stocked this year survive before investing $$$ into adding a whole bunch more.  Just my opinion.
J3W

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #311 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:52 PM »
I like the saying if its not broke don't fix it I think they should keep it the way it is same amount allowed in same format.  If they had to change anything tighten up the way that ppl enter so that no one can buy in tons of braclets and then turn around and scalp them off however I don't know if they can do that. Thats my opinion
It's close

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #312 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:54 PM »
So far in the history of the challenge,it has never been postponed. The program that they have putting walleyes in the lake seams to be working, I know a few guys that caught fingerling size walleye,  238 walleye caught and registered at the challenge, not counting the shorts that did not get checked in. Is the largest number ever. One of the reasons Oneida is one of the top walleye fisheries in the state is due to the amount of walleye fry they put in the lake Some 120 million fry a yr. I'm not pulling these numbers off the top of my head, I worked the hatchery last spring. If you put $$ in the sag the fishery will get better.

Offline carppone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #313 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:45 PM »
if you win a atv or sled you have to pay the sales tax on it before you get to takeits not free thats why you dont see trucks for prizes so if you win a 2013 f250 at 40,000 dollars you have to pay 3,150 in taxes

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #314 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:01 PM »
wrong taxes are paid only thing you pay is registration

Offline carppone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #315 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:08 PM »
no i won a sled two years ago for a deal up on tug hill in a 50/50 raffle and i had to pay the sales tax and its the same this weekend up at the northern challang

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #316 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:10 PM »
last year and this year taxes were paid in full, winner is only responsible for reg. may be different for other events on how they run them

Offline IceLabrador

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lead me to all of your secret spots or I'll bite!
« Reply #317 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:11 PM »
THe people that won the machines didn't have to pay sales tax.  The contest includes the tax dollars into the prize.  Pretty Cool if you ask me! 

Offline carppone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #318 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:36 PM »
thats not how it works at the northen challange if you win you pay sales tax they make the annocement right befoer the drawing for the atvs     

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #319 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:05 PM »
that may be how its done for the "northern challenge" but for the "Walleye Challenge" taxes ARE PAID!!

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #320 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:14 AM »
I did hear them announce,before they drew the winning tickets that all the taxes were payed.It makes it a true win.They do that right

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #321 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Here is my take on the WC. I believe that 1500 fishermen is the right number, but it should be 1500 people who fish. If you really are going to fish buy the wrist band. For those that only want to get tickets for the prizes there should be a way to get a ticket for that only. It would add more money for prizes and at the same time allow those of us who fish to have a better chance of getting into the contest.
The walleyes do re-produce in this lake but it would be good to stock. The state collect 300million+ eggs every year. Even if only ONE million were put into the lake on a regular basis it would help offset those years where there isn't a good hatch with the fish in the lake. Not all of those ONE million are going to make it, but even 10,000 is better than none.
Changing the hours of fishing is a toss up issue. Sure fishing the early and late bite is great but no matter what the hours, it is the same for all who enter and you will never stop those that want to cheat.
If we all want better walleye fishing on this lake the state should look real hard at changing the rules to 3 fish a day of 18". Now is the time to do this as there are a higher percentage of those fish in the lake at this time than there has been in years. If all those 16/17" fish that are being kept today were back in the lake we could have a great walleye lake in a few years....hunts2long
Northville, NY

Offline wetsleeves

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #322 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Here is my take on the WC. I believe that 1500 fishermen is the right number, but it should be 1500 people who fish. If you really are going to fish buy the wrist band. For those that only want to get tickets for the prizes there should be a way to get a ticket for that only. It would add more money for prizes and at the same time allow those of us who fish to have a better chance of getting into the contest.
The walleyes do re-produce in this lake but it would be good to stock. The state collect 300million+ eggs every year. Even if only ONE million were put into the lake on a regular basis it would help offset those years where there isn't a good hatch with the fish in the lake. Not all of those ONE million are going to make it, but even 10,000 is better than none.
Changing the hours of fishing is a toss up issue. Sure fishing the early and late bite is great but no matter what the hours, it is the same for all who enter and you will never stop those that want to cheat.
If we all want better walleye fishing on this lake the state should look real hard at changing the rules to 3 fish a day of 18". Now is the time to do this as there are a higher percentage of those fish in the lake at this time than there has been in years. If all those 16/17" fish that are being kept today were back in the lake we could have a great walleye lake in a few years....hunts2long

:thumbsup:

I heard rumors yesterday of a few who were DQ'd for having traps in prior to the 7am start

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #323 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:43 AM »
I would like to see more checking of the fishermen out there. We have never had anyone come around to check for wrist band, early fishing, fish in coolers or being kept alive, etc. Instead of fishing next year you and I could patrol the lake. Think of all the food we could sample...hunts2long
Northville, NY

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #324 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:48 AM »
:thumbsup:

I heard rumors yesterday of a few who were DQ'd for having traps in prior to the 7am start

I did as well heard 20 where DQ'd in total. A group that I had a debate with my buddy about was rumored to be DQ'd for having their tipups in and flags up bare hooks before 7 b/c of the cold not wanting the reels to freeze. If this is true I sympothize for them because that does suck however, the rules are the rules and Lou can't spend his time checking everyones tipups to see if they are baited or not.  To solve this in the future I suggest that one would take an extra tipup or 2 with them sound a hole then set the dry  tipup desired for that hole to the depth they want so it hasn't been in the water to freeze and insn't in the water keeping them from being DQ'd.
It's close

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #325 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:50 AM »
I would like to see more checking of the fishermen out there. We have never had anyone come around to check for wrist band, early fishing, fish in coolers or being kept alive, etc. Instead of fishing next year you and I could patrol the lake. Think of all the food we could sample...hunts2long

Should have done that this year didn't enter this year but keep kicking myself for not. Next year I'll be in and your more than welcome to come have some venison chilli on your patrol i'll be up by sinclair
It's close

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #326 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:50 AM »
I agree Hunts I like the way you think ,Strange minds think alike. I THINK YOU SHOULD CRUISE THE LAKE SELLING ADULT BEVERAGES

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #327 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:56 AM »
I guess im guilty also as I had my holes drilled, cleaned and sounded with tip ups in the water UN_BAITED prior to 7am. at 7am I went around and started to bait them and set them.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #328 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:56 AM »
In past years I have sounded my holes the day before and numbered the tip-ups. Then open holes first thing in the morning and ready to go a 7am....hunts2long
Northville, NY

Offline the piker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #329 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:38 AM »
on cheating,i used 2 get in contests,about 3 a season,quit 7 yrs. ago, knew guys who used 2 fish 2 days before contest catch some good size trout,pickrel & perch take home keep alive in bathtub, then in a cooler day of contest & win $3-$5 hundred dollars. there will always b cheating going on...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.