Author Topic: Best crappie lure/bait?  (Read 32683 times)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best crappie lure/bait?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 22, 2018, 11:21 PM »
Whatever you choose, maybe bigger than you think. This past summer I was experimenting snap jigging for walleyes. On one spot I started seeing occasional marks half to 2/3s down the water column in 12 -14 FOW. Raised the 2.5" Shiver minnow up to one of the marks and got hammered by a 14" crappie. Not nibbled or leaned on. Hammered.
I was completely surprised one spring when I was throwing flies I tied for pike. The first fish that I landed on one of those flies

Not the only one either, at least a half dozen that day were biting my 4-6” pike flies.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #61 on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:45 AM »
A tungsten jig with a Minnow seems to work really good.

X2...even minnows on plain gold hooks. I also catch them on my gill setups...tungsten with spikes.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:26 PM »
I have some boss spoons but I’m not sure if I’m working them right. They are so light even the larger ones. Any advice? I know they work I’ve seen a lot of people hammer them with them

I just give them a long drop to let them "swim" out off to the side of the hole, and let them settle back under the hole.  That often gets a fish to come and look.  Either they come and smack it, or they stop and look at it, then you can give it some jiggles or vibrations.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.