Author Topic: Daytime Crappies- Wax worms or Spikes ---Which do you use and why  (Read 6190 times)

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
Daytime Crappies- Wax worms or Spikes  ---Which do you use and why?

When searching for daytime crappies what do you guys prefer?

-Bob

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
also...where are you looking for daytime crappies?

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline thehopehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use spikes because im cheap,  I bought a bulk bag of 1000 spikes for $13.50 from Jada Bait.  I like them because they dont come off the hook very easy.  Last year I spent a small fortune in bait.  I catch a lot of crappies on a number 12 jig with two spikes on the hook.  It kind of looks like little legs when you jig it.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
also...where are you looking for daytime crappies?

super secret spot "72"   ;D ;)

-Bob

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
either will work...also perch eyes and all your usual crappie baits....I prefer squid....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
With the heavy snowfall this season...all of my crappies have been daytime crappies...I've only got one after sunset crappie so far. 

Anyway I would rather use splikes instead of wax worms....I think the spikes keep better anyway.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
I take both and let the fish tell me what they prefer.  Some days they hit one more than the other, don't know why, that's just the way its been for me.  Happens fairly regularly.  If I had to pick only one--spikes, they are more durable and less expensive than waxies.

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
waxworms. thats what i can get  at the local bait shop.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
WIGGLERS!!!!  Dad preserved some and sent them out here.  They are outfishing everything for panfish and trout.

Jim

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Horizontal and plastics been great the last few years. Come across good Perch and 'gills often as well

Offline gotcrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use both.  They seem to like the waxworms better.  I also have had luck with the Berkley Gulp minnow heads and waxies. 

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
Luv those maggots.  About 5 or 6 on a no.6 hook ice fly and I'm good to go.  But I do bring along a dozen or so small minnows, I've seen many times when the bite stops and put on a minnow and they will start the bite all over again.  There's 2 lakes that I fish that are exact opposites.  One where everyone uses minnows and I use maggots and outfish most of the guys and the other lake where the prefered bait is maggots and I use minnows, don't catch a lot of fish but the ones I do catch are larger than the run of the meal crappie being caught with the maggots.
sparky

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
I perfer the minnow head but when i have them it is the waxworms, never had a reason to try the splikes but I guess I should some day. If I cant catch them on a wax or minnow I go home,

Offline perchslayer716

• Team IceShanty Regular
spikes no doubt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.