Author Topic: ? about old minning pit  (Read 1905 times)

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
? about old minning pit
« on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:16 AM »
 I have a ? about an old mining pit near where i live. I have just started fishing this pond last winter with great success on large mouth bass one 4.5lbs, one 5lbs lots of 2-3lbs my problem is that there are several kinds of fish in this pit sun fish,large and small mouth bass,bullheads,channel cats crappie and whitefish and perch. The ? I have is about the crappie and sun fish. I catch a few sun fish and bass but never any crappies I have fished this pit numerous time all depths of water and never any crappies. I use small jigs, spoons wax worms minnows and still no crappies. Is there something I'm doing wrong? or are the crappies just inactive? I have yet to fish this pit at night,should i try at night? I have fished early in the am and till dark with no luck on crappie. The pit is 0 to 32fow is the deepest i have found any help from you guys how are crappie catchers would be great thanks and good luck
If you are going to cry be quick about it. Then get back to fishing.

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ? about old minning pit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:21 AM »
look for structure, if there is no structure in the lake get some reel weeds and have the crappies come to you.  I was in a lake a few weeks ago that I knew had crappies, but couldn't find them. I set up the weeds in a circle and fished just outside of them and within a half hour, and any given time I would see at least a dozen crappies around with the camera.  I didn't catch all that many, but i blame that on the weather.

chimo

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Not a great crappie fisherman but night fishing may be the way to go.  Theres a lake I was fishing on monday.  Fished all night and then all the next day.  Caught 15-20 crappies and all except one came after dark and before sunrise.  The final one came just as the sun was coming up.  Good fishing

Chimo

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:26 AM »
I have a ? about an old mining pit near where i live. I have just started fishing this pond last winter with great success on large mouth bass one 4.5lbs, one 5lbs lots of 2-3lbs my problem is that there are several kinds of fish in this pit sun fish,large and small mouth bass,bullheads,channel cats crappie and whitefish and perch. The ? I have is about the crappie and sun fish. I catch a few sun fish and bass but never any crappies I have fished this pit numerous time all depths of water and never any crappies. I use small jigs, spoons wax worms minnows and still no crappies. Is there something I'm doing wrong? or are the crappies just inactive? I have yet to fish this pit at night,should i try at night? I have fished early in the am and till dark with no luck on crappie. The pit is 0 to 32fow is the deepest i have found any help from you guys how are crappie catchers would be great thanks and good luck
You are probably leaving the pit at the wrong time .Bring a lantern and definately fish it at night. There are a couple of lakes that I fish that you can't catch a crappie during the day but once it turns dark the fishing becomes fantastic.You also didn't mention if you use electronics with a water max of 32 feet there is alot of areas for the fish to come in at. Quite often fish [crappies ] will be suspended and without electronics you will have no idea they are there.

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2010, 11:05 AM »
thanks all I am very aware that crappies suspend and would be difficult to find with out electronics. To answer your ? yes there is structure old Christmas trees weed beds, trees that have been blown down or have been cut down I fish them but only catch bass and a sun fish here and there

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Going to try the pit tonight. Would wax worms or minnows be best? What kind of jigs/spoons? I have everything from glowing doodle bugs,Northland forage minnow,buckshot rattle spoons,jamnjigs. Hope i do well cuz I haven't had any slabs since last summer the is a private pond I fish in the summer I catch 15-17in slabs would love to get some for the dinner table any help would be great.

Thanks and good luck

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Done know what the law is about how many lines you can have, but definately have a deadstick with a minnow and jig with a minnow head. Works around here anyway.
Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.