Author Topic: Zippo hand warmers  (Read 1570 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Zippo hand warmers
« on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:06 PM »
just did a search of zippo hand warmers and these posts are pretty dated. just wondering if your experience with the newer Zippos is good or bad. when i say newer, i mean no older than 3 years old. Also, i have some Jon-e fluid that is about 4-5 yrs old. does this stuff deteriorate? can the Jon-e fluid be used in the Zippo?

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Zippo hand warmers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Not sure never used them. i am sure someone will chime in! :tipup:

Offline Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:53 PM »
I was given one for Christmas 3 years ago. To be honest, I forget I own it 80% of the time I go out on the ice.
But when I do ... MAN is it hot. Too hot to touch when it's not in the black velvety zippo pouch.
I also got myself one of those pouch hand warmers to wear around your waist and it has an extra pocket I am assuming designed just for one of these warmers because it fits perfectly and keeps the whole pouch toasty warm in even the coldest weather.
The only thing I don't like about the Zippo is I still haven't figured out how to "shut it off". I have tried following the instructions, but it seems to keep going.
So, at this point I just leave it in my sink until it burns out (I don't dare leave it on wood or plastic, too hot).
As far as the fluid, I've only ever used the zippo stuff so I'm not sure about anything else.

Offline pa ice man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You need to leave fish to find fish
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Zippo hand warmers work great new ones work better then the old ones and come in two sizes. The full is napta  and don't go bad might smell more then new fuel

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:33 PM »
I've still got the two old jon-ees I bought in 1995, or before.  I can't really remember.

There was a Zippo hand warmer thread on here about a month ago.  Seems there were some issues reported at that time...  But the new ones have 4 star ratings on Amazon.  I think that's good news.
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline PondIce82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:38 PM »
I got one for Christmas and I love it on cold days. I leave it in the black velvet case in my chest pocket of my bibs and helps keep me warm and when hands get cold I just take it out for a bit.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Eric,

With my jon-ees I pop off the mesh burner and let both pieces sit, separated for 10-15 min.  It'll go out.  But don't rush it.  I've had them continue to burn when I put 'em back together without waiting long enough.
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Eskimo6120

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAAG!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I just got like 3 of these for Christmas. From my experience, they don't give off that much heat. I used one the other day as a test. It was a pain to light, and took awhile to warm up. I actually forgot about it in the meantime. I'm pretty good with cold weather, so maybe they would ne more beneficial to someone more sensitive. But not worth my money. Also, I did bring one out for a friend the other day, and as he was trying to light the wick, he dropped it into the snow. The thing would not light all day after that, just fyi

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:14 PM »
I got one to test and I love it.  I'm going to get another to keep one in each pocket of my coat.  Worth the $12 or whatever they are on Amazon

Offline Jiggerdoodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:37 PM »
I've got arthritis in my hands and they really help when I'm out duck and goose hunting.  Haven't tried them ice fishing yet not cold enough.  They do help keep the pain away.

Offline robebrz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2016, 11:10 PM »
Love mine. Got one for Christmas last year and used them al season. Then lost them over the summer and panicked so I had to go but a new one. Just found the old one so now I have 2. They warm up quick and get hot. Always use the zippo fuel.

Offline SlavetodaBOX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2016, 11:43 PM »
Had numerous Zippo hand warmers through the years. Love them...can't go wrong. As others have said in the thread
the new ones are better than the old ones. I was at Fleet Farm today and they are on clearance for 15 dollars. You will occasionally have to replace the "burners" but that's not a deal breaker by any means.

Offline Granbysbia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2016, 02:32 AM »
Anyone think they catch less fish while using them? I also got one for Xmas and I'm concerned about smell on my hands. Thanks

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2016, 06:30 AM »
Anyone think they catch less fish while using them? I also got one for Xmas and I'm concerned about smell on my hands. Thanks
That's been my experience......  Switched to Hot Hands in a hoodie pouch or hand warmer muff.  Cheap, easy and always works.

Offline eastchannel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:22 AM »
I use methanol, the stuff in the yellow bottle of heet for gas antifreeze.  Doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as zippo fluid, and is cheap. Burn time is allright.  The alcohol in the red bottle will work, but it smells.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:32 AM »
I run coleman white gas in mine.i also run this in my jon e handwarmers.jon e handwarmers are a lot better than the zippo brand.ive ran the white gas for 20 years with no problems and warm hands.i have not seen a decrease in my catches either.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2016, 09:48 AM »
when i used both brands to try them, they worked. i liked the zippo for it's smaller size. they stink and burn you bad if not careful and to me not worth bothering with them.
then i got cases of chemical hand warmers and haven't looked back. i keep a few to give out for those who complain about cold hands.

i was asking about good fishing gloves not long ago on here to try to not have to use any thing more to keep warm fingers and back of the hands.
one person mentioned using a wrist sweat band and one chemical hand warmer under that on the bottom of the wrist and no more cold fingers. i haven't tried it but have the things to try it with now.

with flip shacks and lanterns/heaters no hand warmers are needed unless fishing out in the open with friends who have no shelter. that's been the norm all of this season so far. being it will be raining for days, no one should be out there today unless they have a shack.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:00 AM »
I have two and for some reason one works better than other one. If you fill up to top line they last a really long time. Sometimes I fill them for work and they last all day and a few times the next morning they were still going. One of them is hard to get lit and doesn't last as long and is hard to light. Not sure if it is the top mantle like piece or the packing inside. Other than that I am happy with them.
Fish on!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:05 AM »
bought a box of the chemical ones from COSTCO last year and they are not very warm.

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:21 PM »
Iv'e used two of these for years. I also use menthol hydrate for the fuel have had no problem with them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.