Author Topic: zippo hand warmers  (Read 6828 times)

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
zippo hand warmers
« on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:01 PM »
I am thinking to get one for this season - any reviews ?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: zippo hand warmers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Can't speak specifically to the Zippos but used to use the similar "Jon-e" ones decades ago. I thought they were a pain: stinky, a mess to refill and can chem burn skin if they leak. Once they perfected the dry chem ones I buy 'em by the box and don't worry about it.

Just my opinion, UMMV...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Bought one last year and never used it. So I can't say much other than they are bigger then I thought they were. If you put fluid in it you better be ready to use it. DOn't put fluid in it 2 days before you go out or it won't last long. This is based on the instructions.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Went through a ton of those, they work, but like stated, a pain in the butt...and stinky. There's better things. But, they are good for keeping batts warm, etc. Just not too close to the item.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:38 PM »
they work if you can get them lit. mine always don't light take several tries to light them. they stink like burning zippo fluid... i dont fish steelhead while using them your hand will stink too. they do keep you warm for up to 12 hour or more depending on how much fluid you add..  all and all 6.00 for 10 two pack of hand warmers at wally world  a can of zippo fluid $5 out last the hand warmers but still not sure what is a better price my self cause of the lighting time the stink and just a pain in the rump...all together...  from the zippo hand warmer i got 2 of  them and 100 pack of hand warmers. i do fish crappie and they dont mind it...same with gills...   

Offline MNLumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Bought two one worked the other never did. Threw both away cause the one that worked was a pain to light.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Bought two worked well. just dont over fill them.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2014, 03:03 PM »

I have a brand new one in the box....from 1955.   It's in my antique tackle collection.  ;D

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2014, 03:08 PM »
I have heard the "over filling" is one of the biggest problems people make. The old jon-e was as stated, a stinky mess. I couldn't bring myself to try the new one after years of using the old. I am surprised no one ever blew their berries off with a jon-e.

WS

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I have heard the "over filling" is one of the biggest problems people make. The old jon-e was as stated, a stinky mess. I couldn't bring myself to try the new one after years of using the old. I am surprised no one ever blew their berries off with a jon-e.

WS

Silly goose, where do you think the term "roasted nuts" came from?  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2014, 03:19 PM »

Caution!  Be very careful with those things.   About 50 years ago my grandfather bought a pair of "Jone-Warmers" which are very similar to the zippo style.  They also used to sell a belt for them which placed one over each kidney, the theory being that it would warm your bloodstream as it circulated through your renal system.   He was out deer hunting with a friend who found him unconscious and fortunately got him to a hospital where they determined that the hand warmers over his kidneys had shut his kidneys down and he had gone into complete renal failure.  Another hour and he would have died.  He was apparently not the only one because Jone took the kidney belt hand warmer holder off the market very quickly.  Presumably the same thing could happen if you had a handwarmer in each coat pocket over your waist?
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Wow...what a story. Glad he made it through. The stuff we did back then ::)

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2014, 05:22 PM »
I have the Joni hand warmers and I use methyl hydrate in them lights easy and no smell.I also take a roll of toilet paper and put it in an old cigarette tobacco can and soak it good with methyl hydrate it will burn all day no smell lots of heat.

Offline WET-KNOTS II

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:50 PM »
last yr works great every trip but unfortunately was trying to lite it up couple days ago and it wont lit whatever i do. :(

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:32 PM »
I have the Joni hand warmers and I use methyl hydrate in them lights easy and no smell.I also take a roll of toilet paper and put it in an old cigarette tobacco can and soak it good with methyl hydrate it will burn all day no smell lots of heat.

That's interesting to kn ow they run on alcohol as well. I'd prefer that.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:34 PM »
I have a couple old solid fuel stick hand warmers but don't use them anymore...

I've used nothing but the Grabber warmers the past few years

You might want to use a good quality denatured alcohol vs that methanol - for your own health

Catchin' Fish

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2014, 12:31 AM »
I bought a zippo last year and used it many times for work and fishing and it worked great. The very first time starting it was tricky but after that its not bad. You will get the occasional faint lighter fluid smell but I dont get it very often. I will add be carefull filling them and read instructions fully and as always keep tabs on it. Sounds like allot of guys dont like them but I do like mine. I will be using it shortly as the temps plummeted recently and my hands get cold easy. My 2˘ take it with a grain of salt.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2014, 11:41 AM »
I thought I was the only one to not have had good luck with these.  I too like the handy chemical warmers.

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2014, 05:35 PM »
I bought a zippo last year and used it many times for work and fishing and it worked great. The very first time starting it was tricky but after that its not bad. You will get the occasional faint lighter fluid smell but I dont get it very often. I will add be carefull filling them and read instructions fully and as always keep tabs on it. Sounds like allot of guys dont like them but I do like mine. I will be using it shortly as the temps plummeted recently and my hands get cold easy. My 2˘ take it with a grain of salt.

I like mine a lot and use it frequently in the fall and winter while fishing and duck hunting. My kids also like to use it a lot then they are out playing in the snow. I would agree that you need to pay attention when filling them to ensure you do not overfill.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:38 PM »
My dad has one and loves it when it works right but the thing is so dang moody. And a mess to fill so I wont wast my money on one.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:53 PM »
i have two i love them both, but their a little work to get running but once their running their 10x warmer and 10x more reliable. i cant use the deer hunting though as they do smell like fluid.
go hard or go home

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2014, 06:04 AM »
I just bought a brand new one off ebay for 10 bucks since my hands usually get cold due to poor circulation, I heard that this works real good so I am excited to try!

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 17, 2014, 06:54 AM »
loved the idea, but the pair I got can't seem to stay lit...go out inside my pocket which defeats the purpose  :'(

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:23 AM »
I use these as well, put a squirt of fluid on the wick and light it, just don't light it close to your face! Let it burn down and it's usually lit, otherwise the "crack" torch lighters work really well since they're super high heat and consistent flame.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:35 AM »
Hold the freshly filled warmer upside down and hold the lighter to the wick untill you see it glowing below the surface of the wick
go hard or go home

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:53 PM »
the last time i used mine the white fibers below the steel mesh burner needed to be fluffed up to the burn was not making contact.. so it would not light now it lights every time and stay lit i must have been packing it down with the plastic measuring cup that you fill it with? 

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:04 PM »
they also run on coleman lantern fuel, have used mine a couple years now. lighting is fun as one flames up for the first minute

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:10 PM »
they also run on coleman lantern fuel, have used mine a couple years now. lighting is fun as one flames up for the first minute
ive used coleman fuel  in my jon e hand warmers for over 10 years now.i have  a set of Zippos too but haven't used them yet .probably never will the jon e hand warmers were built to last.

Offline icetime15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:09 PM »
Have one and wanted to love it. But it can be a pain in the ass to fill and light, and when I'm out the door at 5 AM to catch ice, the last thing I want to be doing is fumbling with a hand warmer.

Offline K-Rock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:54 PM »
I use them frequently for duck hunting.  I think they work great but learned a few things along the way

1.) as others mentioned be careful not to overfill and don't try to "pre-fill" the night before
2.) a lighter works to get them lit, but the a small butane torch lighter (like old lady uses for candles) works best
3.) after they are lit, use the pouch they come with; bare metal gets very hot
4.) after several uses, you may need to purchase new burner

I would agree they can have a a little smell to them, but it has never been overbearing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.