New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092833 times)

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hows the ice on white lake looking to try fishing it for the first time this weekend any recommendations on location to try or public access?

Offline phil o

• IceShanty Rookie
Got out on Yankee lake yesterday afternoon, not a soul in sight. Beautiful day out there.  Managed 2 small pickerels and a few missed bites.  Still new with flasher and jigging but learning.

how is the ice holding up?  and the edges

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hows the ice on white lake looking to try fishing it for the first time this weekend any recommendations on location to try or public access?

Pretty sure King of the Ice is being held this Sunday on White Lake. Just an FYI.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
White lake is probably fine and there is a public access launch on the Kaeuneonga side. The ramp for launching boats was very weak on Monday but the right side was fine. I found between 7-11 inches in various parts of the lake but do stay away from unknown shore areas just to be safe.

Yankee should also be fine but again pick your access points wisely and if it looks weak it likely is. Most of the ice out away from shore is plenty thick enough except where you might find springs and inflows or river currents. This is one of those strange years kind of like a Yo Yo with ice getting solid followed by a few days of warm and or rain. Your judgement should be your guide and do not trust what others say unless they have been there and do give accurate reports.

I fished Big Pond yesterday and the ice was a good 10 inches but some weak spots along the shore line. Not a very productive lake these days and I saw a couple guys catch small LM Bass and I only had one flag all day long. I staggered my baits from just off the bottom to just under the ice and everywhere in between and I tried Spikes, Meal worms and Super worms and basically just drowned them all. On a positive note it was a gorgeous day to be out and I got a little tan.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
how is the ice holding up?  and the edges

ice holding up good! Few snowmobilers were out as I was coming in yesterday.  As mentioned, I would just avoid any inlets like the one drain near Sandy landing.  Always iffy there. 

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
ice holding up good! Few snowmobilers were out as I was coming in yesterday.  As mentioned, I would just avoid any inlets like the one drain near Sandy landing.  Always iffy there.
keep in mind that was yesterday. theres been a good warm up with melt. I live about 7-8 miles from there and the melt here is flowing strong! just be careful walking on and hope you can still walk off come the evening...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
Just got off the ice on Yankee Lake, the top layer was soft but otherwise safe.  Caught 4 dink perch right at sunset. 

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heading over to Yorktown Heights to drop my wofe off at work so I have a few hrs to kill in morning. Was thinking of trying sylvan lake .  What do you guys think of chances there for trout? Are gas augers allowed therw? Thanks for any help.

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone been out on Upton lately? I’ve been busy with the lakers but wondering how the ice is on UL.
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished White lake today, fished about 75 yards left side of boat launch water depth 12-25’. Didn’t, get a bite, no marks on the flasher. I have a question: is there any fish in this lake? If there is, where are they hiding?
Good luck to you guys fishing king of the ice tournament tomorrow. My guess is if you catch one fish you may win. Lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished White lake today, fished about 75 yards left side of boat launch water depth 12-25’. Didn’t, get a bite, no marks on the flasher. I have a question: is there any fish in this lake? If there is, where are they hiding?
Good luck to you guys fishing king of the ice tournament tomorrow. My guess is if you catch one fish you may win. Lol

I usually have very similar results fishing White lake. Yes there are fish in there and some can be very large fish. The key to any fishing and especially from on top of the ice is to find the fish. Just once I happened to find them but after just a few flags and views on my sonar screen the fish moved off to some other spot. During open water I often troll and have more luck but when rather stationary on the ice it becomes a hit and miss ordeal. Those who stay mobile and prefer jigging probably do much better than we who set out tip ups but then we each have a fish we like to target and I could care less about perch and other pan fish or pickerel and am constantly in search of the trout and walleyes. I am not very successful in White Lake with either species but just getting out and trying is relaxing for me. I don't do contests and prefer fishing during the week when most others are working. Some day I might just find the bottom structure where the big fish might congregate but I don't expect anyone to give up their honey hole spots and I would not give them up either if I ever do find them. One day years back while trolling the deep hole out on the 17B side I did land an 11 pound lake trout that lived to fight another day.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody been out to stillwell lake? Wondering what the ice conditions are looking like.

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Howd the Highland contest go??

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Twinlakesfisher last I checked the Mahogany Ridge Hunting-Fishing club's Facebook page there were some photos from the contest nodetails on who the prize winners were in various fish categories. Hopefully someone who attended the contest will post some details.
Article in today's Times Herald Record at the King of the Ice contest around 350 entrants this year's winer was Robert Ward of Liberty,NY. his winning fish was a 26.25 inch 4.89 lbs. chain Pickerel.

Steve

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
25 gills, 12.5" black crappie, 15" largemouth + a fat 20.5"er on the tip up. Both largemouth safely released.
Made up for getting skunked up at Kiwassa Lake in the Adirondacks  ;D.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Went out this evening, not as much action, forgot the flasher at home. 6 gills + caught & released a largemouth on a tip up and lost a big one at the hole. My friend got 5 gills, a black crappie and a largemouth jigging.

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
boyd corners was so dead, fish were hitting better at white pond.  I caught a few dink perch and got  my spoon stuck in my jacket.  I broke the treble on my best spoon getting it out.  I went home after that.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
3 chain pickerel on tip ups this morning (17",17", 17.5") + 1 pumpkinseed & a yellow perch.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
29” channel cat not what you exspect to come thru a hole fishing for perch with a pinhead on a tip-up

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
That, is a large fish. What did you think you had on, a beautiful trout only to see his ugly mug come up the hole?
Not up on my catfish but I hope channels are good eating ones. Lotsa meat. Enjoy.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Wow! Awesome  ;D

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice cat bud 👍🏻, those bad boys put up one heck of an under water battle!
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Checking in Folks... re-familiarizing myself w/ Shanty.... FB was Just easier...
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thought it was a pickreal being it was a non trout lake took longer to get him thru the hole then up to the hole

Offline phil o

• IceShanty Rookie
ill be up on yankee tomorrow afternoon and all day saturday.  sunday looks like a bit of a disaster maybe ill make it out in the am.  i'll be the guy with the red eskimo shelter trying to stop my kids from releasing all the bait, and trying to convince my wife she doesnt need to wear a pfd, stop by for a beer or 3!

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I thought Yankee Lake was private?

Offline phil o

• IceShanty Rookie
I thought Yankee Lake was private?

it is, we're renting a place

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone know where to get big sucker minnows or big minnows around here?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Phil o  have a safe and good time at Yankee Lake may the fish cooperate and keep your children entertained.

Jimmyclaude welcome back not many members from the early years of this thread still posting frequently in this thread. I'll send you a personal message with what little info. I have of the folks who fished with us way back in Feb. of 2009 at Lake Huntington in Sullivan county. The website was upgraded around a year ago now running Ice Shanty version 4.0 . If you go from left to right on the line that starts with Home you will see My Messages if you have a message it will look like this  My Messages (1)  . Putting computer cursor on words and left clicking will open messages. Hope all is well with you and your family.
Steve

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
O & H in Chester got them for me once but it was a while ago. 845-469-2566. His name is Jim.                 Walt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.