The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: URGENT! Phil Scott Proposal to temporally halt trout stocking Petition Added! p5  (Read 15240 times)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
For those who haven’t seen it, ol Flip Flop is back at it again. Him and Louis Porter have come up with a hair brain idea to close down the Salisbury fish hatchery. The hatchery supplies the vast majority of our states trout eggs from the broodstock at the hatchery. Closing it would mean the state would halt stocking of trout species for 2-7 years depending on species. This is to save a mere 250k a year, while hatcheries have a 9:1 return rate, meaning for every dollar we spend on them, $9 is returned in the state in economic activity.

This decision despite what porter and Scott say will lead to a total collapse of trout fishing state wide. As that collapse occurs fishermen will shift focus, and negatively impact other species.

I urge you all to contact the governor, your local reps, and Mr porter.

Sign the petition to save the hatchery:

https://www.change.org/p/phil-scott-save-the-salisbury-fish-hatchery-and-trout-fishing-in-vermont?recruiter=481857506&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Offline jthurs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: URGENT! Flip Flop Phil Hatchery Proposal
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:05 PM »
This state is becoming such a joke. I am so sick of watching everything we love about our great state slowly be taken from us.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Vote them all out.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Where is this proposal? Would like to see something more than just hearsay. Links please.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:49 PM »
phil will probably turn the site into a parking lot for people that received the $10K to move here from the citys a place to park their prius while they are out riding bikes in the middle of the roads.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:58 PM »
phil will probably turn the site into a parking lot for people that received the $10K to move here from the citys a place to park their prius while they are out riding bikes in the middle of the roads.
Yup these same meatheads are the same people who suck up the parking at our boat launches for their kayaks.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:12 AM »
Hopefully with no veto power Flip Flop Phil will decide the job isn't to his liking and not run again. Too bad a viable candidate wasn't running against him last year. His sell out on the gun control and pot legalization means at least to me he is a classic case of RINO. Those people who are concerned about last years change of campaign promises better be prepared for the next step.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:43 AM »
This “issue” has been a long known one for the state. They put the hatchery upgrades out to bid in 2012, with and in the document say the SAME things that Porter and Scott are saying now about water quality. So that means the last 7 years they have sat on this issue, not attempting to make gradual improvements.

http://www.bgs.state.vt.us/pca/bids/pdf/RFP%20-%20Feasibility%20Study%20Salisbury%20Fish%20Culture%20Station.pdf

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:16 AM »
Yup these same meatheads are the same people who suck up the parking at our boat launches for their kayaks.

Pretty sure a kayak counts as a boat...

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:21 AM »
Pretty sure a kayak counts as a boat...

Boat registrations pay for boat launches and upkeep,kayaks aren't registered.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:23 AM »

And? it's not like you can launch motorboats at all state launches. Also, if you're saying you should ONLY be allowed to park at a state launch IF you're launching a motorboat, I'll remind you that this is an ice fishing forum...

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:26 AM »
https://vtdigger.org/2019/02/04/searching-savings-scott-angles-close-trout-hatchery/?utm_source=VTDigger+Subscribers+and+Donors&utm_campaign=493aca939a-Weekly+Update&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dc3c5486db-493aca939a-405564869

Pretty messed up... As the article says, a much more sensible thing to do would be to raise fees on hunting/fishing licenses, but we know Phil and taxes/fees are like oil and water. Wouldn't want to break that campaign promise, even if this action makes negative sense. Sad part is we wouldn't realize the lost revenue in license sales from this idea till well after he's out of office... Time to call your representatives.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
The sportsman in your state need to organize and band together,and stop the them from closing the hatchery .take it from someone  in taxachusetts youll never get it back.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:27 AM »

Exactly.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
Seems like a very short sighted approach. Money now, repercussions later...as usual.

Offline Sacospinner

• IceShanty Rookie
This was discussed at length at the TU meeting last night in Burlington. This is a time when anyone that loves fishing needs to band together and be very vocal about how we feel about this and the impact it will have on our sport.  One option that was discussed was a form letter that each of us could sign and send to the governor directly. Kind of like a petition however individual letters sent to the governor will probably have more of an impact if enough of them are sent. We can't sit idle or the trout fishing in this state will be damaged for the next 10 to 20 years. Be vocal, contact your state reps and maybe we can stop this before it is too late.

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Montpelier politics at its finest.  If Phil and Louis had simply and honestly proposed an increase in license fees to offset declining revenues and future expenses, Phil would look like he was retreating, yet again, from his campaign promise of no new fee increases. 

Instead, they hold us hostage by threatening to close a fish hatchery, which would have negative consequences for both fisheries and the state's economy.  With this, they make a significant license fee increases more palatable.  Would you rather pay more for a fishing license or have nothing to fish for? 

I am certainly not happy with the Governor, but I also have to wonder about the motives and intentions of the Commissioner of Fish and Wildlife.  Who or what is this guy really looking out for?  Fish? Wildlife? Anglers? Hunters? Or his political cronies?           

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is there a way to get a drafted letter on behalf of the TU outta Burlington? Seems this group will have the most pull with the State; if something is added here that I can cut and paste, and then print I will most definitely send it to the Govonor's office direct (I feel like receiving the same letter a few hundred times will make the point). I will also pay for extra stamps so others I personally know will send them (at least a book of stamps...lol) I can even screenshot this thread and insert it with the letter!
I wish our State would get their Sh!t together...
They all need to be replaced. Apparently constituents do not matter nor do their opinions. 
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
Agree -- I think getting the VT TU Chapter involved is an excellent way to go...!!

Offline miknvt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How are they biting
I think the solution is to make kayaks register which will more than fund any shortcomings of funds for hatcheries and air boats....$$$
There ain't no fish in this frogpond

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I actually do not like the thought of registering the kayaks because there are many places to launch that are not public access outside of boat launches. I'd rather see a "Launch Pass" or decal that can be purchased for approved usage of public boat launches +$5 for every person wanting to use the public launches (yes this would be in addition to registration of a motor boat but would also incorporate kayaks using the launches) and make pedal bikes register as a vehicle seeing how they take up road space and have bike-lanes that are maintained by DOT. Add the proceeds from that to the general fund and add 2% of the GF to Fish and Wildlife to supplement. why do they make it seem so difficult? Are they still using DOT signs to advertise the Exit 7 gas station on 89? Seems to me that those LED signs should fall within the billboard restrictions set by ACT250, as other businesses cannot use them... Flip Flop must make money off that store somehow.
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I actually do not like the thought of registering the kayaks because there are many places to launch that are not public access outside of boat launches. I'd rather see a "Launch Pass" or decal that can be purchased for approved usage of public boat launches +$5 for every person wanting to use the public launches (yes this would be in addition to registration of a motor boat but would also incorporate kayaks using the launches) and make pedal bikes register as a vehicle seeing how they take up road space and have bike-lanes that are maintained by DOT. Add the proceeds from that to the general fund and add 2% of the GF to Fish and Wildlife to supplement. why do they make it seem so difficult? Are they still using DOT signs to advertise the Exit 7 gas station on 89? Seems to me that those LED signs should fall within the billboard restrictions set by ACT250, as other businesses cannot use them... Flip Flop must make money off that store somehow.
And fines imposed for not following the rules would also generate more funds.
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

• Team IceShanty Addict
I think the solution is to make kayaks register which will more than fund any shortcomings of funds for hatcheries and air boats....$$$

Good luck with that. I would love to see how people would react to that proposal, even on here.

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
I agree with registering bicycles if the are to be used on the road. I also agree with something being done with kayaks, what a good solution is....IDK. Kayaks can be launched just about anywhere, pretty easily. And while boat registrations help fund the launches, they make for an easy spot to put your kayak in, albeit most of them are just in everyone who pays way usually. Something simple like a small fee to use the state launches for the year seems reasonable. As for the hatchery issue, some good ideas have been proposed to try to fight that, and whatever the consensus is to do so, I'm on board and will do my part to help.

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Agree -- I think getting the VT TU Chapter involved is an excellent way to go...!!

I don't know that I would rely on TU to carry the ball.  Some TU members might think that closing a hatchery is actually a good thing.   

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
This is an easy proposal to defeat. All we have to do is each take responsibility for getting the word out, and contacting our local reps. Post on your social media, call for your friends and family to unite and reach out to their reps. There is no anti hatchery lobby, or high school kids talking about the harms of fish hatcheries. There are 2 people advocating this, and as long as we can convince the other 150 in montpelier that its a bad idea we can win. Write to your legislator. Point out that fishing creates 2400 jobs in vermont. Point out that statewide 147 million dollars are spent each year directly attributable to fishing activity, and 21% of that can be tied directly to our hatcheries. Point out that statewide 16 million is brought in in tax revenue from our fisheries, and that since the hatcheries on a whole (all of them) cost 3.5 million, half of which is federal funds, that the 21% of that 16 million in tax money is far more than the hatcheries cost. The hatcheries directly contribute to 3.3 million in state and local tax revenue, and cost 1.75 in stater revenue to run. Also be sure to point out that for the last 15 years fishing licenses while fluctuating a little annually have otherwise been flat. The decline the flippy phil mentions in his canned reply is 100% on the hunting side of things, and can be tied to older hunters stopping, and young hunters not having a place to hunt as we let more people post land. Point out the local shop that will struggle if trout fishing goes away, the Fly Shop in stowe, Old fishing hole in morrisville, datillios in shelburne, all of your local bait shops.

One last thing make sure to mention how all of our significant others will not be able to put up with us if we can't fish, Flip Flop Phil is trying to break up families!!!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2019, 12:21 PM »

So I take it you don’t park at boatramps to go ice fishing? No fees paid for upkeep from ice fishermen...

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good luck with that. I would love to see how people would react to that proposal, even on here.

Agreed. If you want to go to smaller bodies or carry your boat in so bad, go buy one and do it. It shouldn't preclude us from using state boat launches at larger bodies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.