Author Topic: Lightest 2-man flip?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
Lightest 2-man flip?
« on: Jan 24, 2024, 10:19 AM »
I have an old Bass Pro 2 man flip hut - the tub is getting quite worn out and I've been constantly plastic welding it.  Going to be looking for a new tub, but haven't found anything in Canada. 

Also wondering what the lightest 2 man flip hut is nowadays?  I don't think anything exists now that is as light as this old hut is.  This is a follow-up of this post a while ago that I never resolved:  https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=388761.0

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Lightest 2-man flip?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2024, 10:36 AM »
Going to go with the Eskimo Sierra Thermal for the win ..as it has a thinner tub and lightweight mesh seats.  Otters have very heavy durable tubs .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2024, 10:41 AM »
Removing the seats completely and sitting on a bucket or lightweight aluminum chair can cut weight significantly.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2024, 11:11 AM »
I don't know much about them, or if they are available in Canada, but the Ice Runners seem to be about as light as it gets. Would agree that the Eskimo Sierra with the seats removed is probably close as far as weight. Nice thing would be that on day with an easy pull, you can put the seats back in, they are very comfortable. Those lightweight tubs probably are for hand pulling only if you want them to last

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2024, 11:52 AM »
A Smitty Sled can equalize a lot of weight woes .Again the mesh seating in the Eskimo is quite comfortable .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2024, 08:47 AM »
A Smitty Sled can equalize a lot of weight woes .Again the mesh seating in the Eskimo is quite comfortable .

Hey Hardwater, that Eskimo thermal is 82 pounds!!! I wouldnt call that light weight especially if you have to pull by hand at my age. My Ptter hub is bigger and can fit 4 guys at 48 pounds.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2024, 09:20 AM »
Hey Hardwater, that Eskimo thermal is 82 pounds!!! I wouldnt call that light weight especially if you have to pull by hand at my age. My Ptter hub is bigger and can fit 4 guys at 48 pounds.

In the world of flip overs I believe it is the lightest out there ...hubs are a different animal

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2024, 10:26 AM »
The Clam Nanook XT thermal is a two man shelter, thermal unit that weighs 80 lbs.  Has these specs:

Set up size: L 94” x W 61” x H 75”
Front height: 75”
Pack size with seats: L 61” x W 35” x H 23”
Weight: 80 pounds
Fishing Area: L 58” x W 59”
Fishable Square Footage: 24 square feet

If you want to reduce the weight, you can leave out a chair - should take about 10 lbs off that weight. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:25 PM »
I am using the Eskimo Sierra Thermal.  Use mostly as a 1 man.  Chose to not install either seat, saving 30lbs.
Use a comfy folding chair.  Made it lighter when loading in PU, add chair after shelter is unloaded.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:10 PM »
The Clam Nanook XT thermal is a two man shelter, thermal unit that weighs 80 lbs.  Has these specs:

Set up size: L 94” x W 61” x H 75”
Front height: 75”
Pack size with seats: L 61” x W 35” x H 23”
Weight: 80 pounds
Fishing Area: L 58” x W 59”
Fishable Square Footage: 24 square feet

If you want to reduce the weight, you can leave out a chair - should take about 10 lbs off that weight.

The seats in my Clam Nanook XT thermal weigh 17 1/2 lbs each. So the unit is only 45 lbs with the seats out. Very easy to load and unload. I use it with only one seat. Very easy to pull with a Smitty. I’ve had it for three years and really like it. It was the lightest 2 man flip I could find.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2024, 10:09 AM »
How did you join the cross-bars on the Smitty?  Doe's is dis-assemble for transport and storage?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2024, 11:06 AM »
How did you join the cross-bars on the Smitty?  Doe's is dis-assemble for transport and storage?

Drill hole in cross member, insert carriage bolt; drill hole in upright to accept the carriage bolt stem.  Doing it this way allows you to remove the cross braces when its time to pack up. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Online ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2024, 11:12 AM »
I actually used angles on the cross pieces, on both sides of the risers. Was able to eliminate the need for the carriage bolts. Tightened things up a bit for me too, although it was a sloppy first build with my amateur hour carpentry skills. 

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2024, 07:59 PM »

Yes it breaks down for easy transport. Just drill the uprights and use a bolt through the cross member into the hole. Here’s a couple of pics. Also lots of how to info in the Smitty thread in the equipment section:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2024, 12:20 PM »
Ive used a frabil aegis 2110 for 4 yrs now.

Very light 2 man, just take out the spare seat. Its got insulated top only.

Mine weighs 35lbs with one seat and no gear.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2024, 11:27 AM »

I second this big time. I am 69 and live in NE Illinois. So I have to manhaul my gear.  I built a Smitty Sled and it dramatically makes hauling my gear easier. Also unless you are fishing it really cold temps, perhaps you don’t need an insulated hut.  Good luck.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2024, 12:42 PM »

Can confirm that he pulls it faster than my otter xt650 cottage.... ;D

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2024, 02:23 PM »
Alright just measured and weighed my shelter.  As you can see from the pics... it's been plastic welded to the moon and back lol

Without seats/tow bar (I don't have the seats) so just the shelter/tub+2 layers of Refletix it's 52lbs
35" x 60".

Would be a pain to fit Refletix again if I buy a new shelter -but if I could save 10 or so lbs off the base weight might be worth it.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2024, 02:39 PM »
Ice Runner is very light, but a bit more "budget oriented".  I don't mind my Explorer, and think it was worth the short coin, but construction is less than the heavier brands (sled/fabric/poles).  No real issues, besides having to reconfigure the pole lengths in one of the hubs because they were not placed correctly from the factory and it made it a b%&^$# to hit the push pin on one pole.  Reoriented and no more issues as of yet.  As someone else said, removing bench or chairs will greatly reduce weight on any brand of hut.   

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2024, 02:05 PM »

35lbs sounds incredible for a 2 man.  Having a look for an old one and cant' find any for sale - will check their current offerings if there's something just as light.  For some reason they don't have weights posted on the site  ???

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2024, 03:27 PM »
I see 2 Frabill Aegis 2110 on Facebook marketplace, one in Flint Michigan and one in Winona Minnesota if either of those are convenient for you.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2024, 07:06 AM »
The seats in my Clam Nanook XT thermal weigh 17 1/2 lbs each. So the unit is only 45 lbs with the seats out. Very easy to load and unload. I use it with only one seat. Very easy to pull with a Smitty. I’ve had it for three years and really like it. It was the lightest 2 man flip I could find.

I don't know how  the newer Nanooks can be 82 lbs.  I have an older insulated one and it is 110lbs.  Then add your gear and it is pushing 140.

To get it in my truck I have to lift one end and set on tailgate hoping it don't slide out then go around and lift the other end and hope the runners don't get caught requiring me to tilt it...
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2024, 07:45 AM »
There is chatter on FB that the Eagle Claw/Shappell Bay Runner may be back for 2025 ...someone got a response from an Email from Eagle Claw supposedly .

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2024, 08:10 AM »
There is chatter on FB that the Eagle Claw/Shappell Bay Runner may be back for 2025 ...someone got a response from an Email from Eagle Claw supposedly .
that would be great.  I have a bayrunner 2 and the cover is getting wore. I had considered having one made. Probably cheaper to buy a new one.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline MichaelAngelo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2024, 08:39 AM »

just googled it - fishing area integrated right into the tub.  Wouldn't it fill up with snow when pulling?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2024, 08:51 AM »
just googled it - fishing area integrated right into the tub.  Wouldn't it fill up with snow when pulling?

Not at all, the trap doors seal up surprisingly well. I have 1 of the 1st ones made, put my order in before they were even available back in 2014 or 15 can't remember exactly. Search this site for bayrunner mods and mine should come up with all the mods I've done. I use it for skinny ice or when I can't use a machine to tow my stupid heavy Otter lodge pro X...
Be really great if they came out with an insulated version.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2024, 12:49 PM »
I don't know how  the newer Nanooks can be 82 lbs.  I have an older insulated one and it is 110lbs.  Then add your gear and it is pushing 140.

To get it in my truck I have to lift one end and set on tailgate hoping it don't slide out then go around and lift the other end and hope the runners don't get caught requiring me to tilt it...

Here are the specs from Clam. Overall weight 80 lbs. without seats. 45 lbs.

https://clamoutdoors.com/ice-shelters/fish-traps/nanook-xt-thermal

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2024, 02:34 PM »

It breaks down into 4 pieces 2 skis and 2 cross pieces.

Here is how I connected the cross pieces.

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2024, 03:18 PM »
On my Eskimo Sierra Thermal comment above:  Since I decided to not use the seats to save weight, I also did not install any of the seating framework.  Did not weigh it, guessing I saved more than the 30lbs I mentioned.
It reduced lots of wt for the load, unloading.  The padded folding chair I use, comfy and handy when fishing outside a set up shelter.

Offline Fishinmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2024, 10:10 AM »
I have gone to a hub style shelter.  I will never go back to the flip up due to weight.  We transom light and mobile to move move move.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.