Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Creek  (Read 89169 times)

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
Re: Big Creek
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I was with Russbone the other night and it was a great gill bite. Unfortunatly I left my lantern in the Ensign parking lot. If you drive a red Chevy Avalance hopefullly you grabed it when you were done fishing. hopefully it will return to me before I buy another.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:42 PM »
If not Rawfish come talk to me at Sports Authority, I'll hook you up.

Offline IceHaus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I was out there on the 26th and there was about 8" of ice on the East side of the lake and about 4-6" of snow. Hopefully tomorrow's warm weather and rain clean the snow off and we get some more good, clear ice. It is supposed to be back in the teens by Saturday.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:46 AM »
That will be great if the warm weather gets all this snow off the lakes.  If you cant drive on them you can only hope for good pulling on the ice.  The older I get the more a four wheeler sounds good. 

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Squ When do you work and who do I ask for?

Offline icekicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:52 PM »
is this road bed that everyone speaks of on the north- northwest end of the lake where the existing road would have gone straight through?

Offline icekicker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:53 PM »
also does anyone know what time polk city bait and tackle open on sun?

Offline old time jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:56 PM »
it runs from one boat ramp to the other,don't know times
I would rather be fishing,wait i probably am!

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Looked like a small village out there Sunday.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Does anyone know what the deal is with all the small walleyes?  Seems next to impossible to get a good sized one.  Was it recently restocked with them?

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:50 AM »
I've seen tons of small walleye there for a long time.  Don't know what the deal is with them.  I guess they are offering cash prizes now for fish in the legal slot. 

Been having good luck on the gills the hr before dark and crappies after dark.  Finding both suspended to at least im up off the bottom where those little cigars keep running.

Offline iafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:04 PM »
got out today caught a bunch of lil eyes, but what really is bugin me is gettin out there and seein all the beer cans and trash that people jus left on the ice. really guys what kind of sportsman are you to jus leave that crap on our lake, if ya dont want to take it home im the ol beat up f350 throw it in my bed and ill take care of it jus sucks to fill my bucket up with someones elses trash on my walk back in.

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:43 AM »
I agree iafish. Nothing pisses me off more than people that litter. what kind of sportsman are you to jus leave that **** on our lake you wrote. They are not. The fishing has been good out there lately but surprisingly I have yet to catch a walleye.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:34 AM »
got out today caught a bunch of lil eyes, but what really is bugin me is gettin out there and seein all the beer cans and trash that people jus left on the ice. really guys what kind of sportsman are you to jus leave that **** on our lake, if ya dont want to take it home im the ol beat up f350 throw it in my bed and ill take care of it jus sucks to fill my bucket up with someones elses trash on my walk back in.

It's sad that you have to make that offer but that is very noble of you. Thanks for babysitting the non-respective bunch. Good luck to you.  :)

Offline IceHaus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Agreed. The last few times I was out, I picked up anything from empty flashlight boxes to 1lb propane tanks to paper coffee cups. Seriously guys. Just toss it in the sled/shanty and toss it in the trash when you get home.

Offline Russbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Went out today and saw a bunch of dink bluegills just thrown out in the parking lot. Losers

Offline iafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:38 PM »
It's sad that you have to make that offer but that is very noble of you. Thanks for babysitting the non-respective bunch. Good luck to you.  :)
lol i wouldnt say noble. im broke and them cans can pay for my bait

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:42 PM »
New onto the boards. Been fishing for awhile, but finally got some stuff of my own. Where are honey holes on BC?

Offline fishhead50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2011, 09:22 PM »
For eyes, fish deep, 30ft-40ft, along the side of a dropoff, use a jiigging rapala, dusk. Bite is only about 2 hours active. Suspended fish are usaully crappies or whites.

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Im really not too familiar with the lake, where is the easiest access? Thanks for helping the Newbie out. BTW, I pick up all of my trash too, that stuff pisses me off.  :tipup:

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Im really not too familiar with the lake, where is the easiest access? Thanks for helping the Newbie out. BTW, I pick up all of my trash too, that stuff pisses me off.  :tipup:

I usually get on at the west ramp since it's closest to the brush piles I like to hit

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:16 PM »
I usually get on at the west ramp since it's closest to the brush piles I like to hit
Thanks will give it a go this weekend hopefully

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2011, 02:56 PM »
Bluegill bite still seems to be pretty good 1hr before dark or so.  Crappies in deep water seem to be fair.  Liking horizontal jigs best with waxies.  Lots that stare at it too.  Probably catch 1 out of 4-6 that look at it.  All after dark of course.  Just sitting on an area where the fish run at dark or later.  Would be nice to find where they sleep and sit on that spot too.

Saw a bunch of dink bluegills on the ice the other day while out next to a hut not far from where I go.  Hope those weren't the ones in the parking lot Russbone that you saw.  I will keep an eye on those guys.  Takes a real duche bag to catch, keep, bring in and then dump a bunch of fish.  They will probably do it again, and hopefully one of us will be watching.

Good luck to all.

Offline Russbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Saw a bunch of dink bluegills on the ice the other day while out next to a hut not far from where I go.  Hope those weren't the ones in the parking lot Russbone that you saw.  I will keep an eye on those guys.  Takes a real duche bag to catch, keep, bring in and then dump a bunch of fish.  They will probably do it again, and hopefully one of us will be watching.

Probably the same douches. Doesn't make sense.

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Just wondering on this weeks success at big creek?  Anybody doing any good.  Haven't been there yet this week.  Been at hickory a few times instead.  Probably heading back down to big creek tonight so just wondering how things have been going this week there?

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2011, 01:47 PM »
I was out Monday and the gill bite was slow suprisingly. I had a buddy go out that night for the crappie bite and he got 17. Thats all I got Jig. I am heading out tonight as well so we will see.

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:43 PM »
Litter is nasty. Losers. Anyway... :o

Who is all signed up for the tourney? I am! :)

Offline dancinjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 16, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Lots of nice bluegills and a few crappies after dark.

Good luck.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I haven't got over there yet this year.
Trash .... unfortunately you'll have this on a lake that close to a city .

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:32 PM »

Had a buddy send me this pic tonight - he's a Shanty newbie and may recognize the pic - I'll let him elaborate if he catches the pic and feels like sharing... said he caught a 10''r down there tonight! Kept 14 from 8" up... I'm sure this front didn't hurt. Regardless - nice little pile of gills - bravo my man!
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.