Author Topic: Done with Amsoil  (Read 8916 times)

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Done with Amsoil
« Reply #30 on: Sep 03, 2014, 12:14 AM »
If the 100:1 ratio was destroying and locking up engines that some people's lives depend on, Amsoil would have been out of business long ago from lawsuits from the families of the victims of the horrible 100:1 recommendation. I have yet to come across a bad review or a catastrophic failure of any engine that has had this oil put in it. Just like everything else, time will tell and in this case I think it has...

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Run Ams in everything with cylinders. A buddy of mine runs a dyno at the HD PDC (Product Development Center), dude tests motors using every oil on the planet in just about every condition imaginable. I was lucky enough to tour the PDC a few years back and he show me wear tests done on Revolution motors (V Rod). Same conditions, same duration (24 hr test), three different oils.....HD Syn, M1 and Ams. The cylinder wear on the Ams motor was 1/2 that of other two. Simply put. It kept the motors running cooler, longer.

I never used anything else in my motrocycles, toys and cars again.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:28 AM »
Unless you are a chemical engineer then you cannot say what the oil does or does not do. All we can do is rely on the research done and all the research that I have read done by affiliated and non affiliated parties says it does not harm engines and in some cases makes (some not all) them run better.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:33 AM »
I should start off with saying I have used Amsoil products in tons of different things, and feel it is some of the best available.

A little confused here. You start off by saying that you have used amsoil and think its some of te best out there. And later in this thread you say amsoil is terrible for engines and should not be used. You are upset because you were give. Bad information from and uninformed dealer and you have completely changed thoughts. Pick a side and stick to it.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #34 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:57 AM »
I have another thought on the Amsoil issue.  I feel that as fellow Ice Shanty members, we have an obligation to not make unjustified statements about products from companies that might be interested in being sponsers on Ice Shanty.   There are hundreds of Ice Shanty members that are satisfied users of Amsoil and other products.  If a company is going to be bashed by a few misinformed members, they probably will not be interested in helping to promote the sport that we all love.  If we have had bad luck with a certain item, it may be allright to relate a bad experience, after all, that is how companies are able to improve their products is by knowing their downfalls.  We should not be calling individuals blatent  liars or indicating that companies are making fraudulent claims without proof.  Thanks for reading.  Happy trails!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Sep 03, 2014, 09:02 AM »
A little confused here. You start off by saying that you have used amsoil and think its some of te best out there. And later in this thread you say amsoil is terrible for engines and should not be used. You are upset because you were give. Bad information from and uninformed dealer and you have completely changed thoughts. Pick a side and stick to it.

I never said it would damage an engine when used properly. 100:1 is not using it properly. Use it at manufacturers specs, and it will work great. I'm not bashing the product, I'm calling out Amsoil on its ridiculous claims with no proof.
-Tom

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #36 on: Sep 03, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Unless you are a chemical engineer then you cannot say what the oil does or does not do. All we can do is rely on the research done and all the research that I have read done by affiliated and non affiliated parties says it does not harm engines and in some cases makes (some not all) them run better.

You don't have to be a chemist to see the results of a micrograph. I'd take the word of a metallurgist, who's studying the effects of lubricants on metals, over that of a chemist who says this is what a product should or shouldn't do. Chemists aren't testing  products, metallurgists and engineers are.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #37 on: Sep 03, 2014, 09:29 AM »
I'd have to say in all my years working/rebuilding engines, reading threads like these, hearing from people that use the product, hearing from my mechanic buddies, reading reports, and stats, and I've only ever heard one bad report from ONE mechanic about it, but he had no proof it was the Amsoil that directly caused the problem he experienced...he admitted that. All it takes is a couple of problems with a product, and the entire world knows about...hence threads like these.
A few blown engines here and there, et., and Amsoil is gonna be the "villian". I've yet to hear that about Amsoil.
I have to state the proof is in the overall actual experiences...all I which I have heard nothing but good about it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #38 on: Sep 03, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Would anyone who is being forced to use Amsoil please say so. We have already heard from folks who use it and like it and those who don't. I have been using it for a long time with no problems and someone else trusts it with his life in his ultralight aircraft, but didn't state anyone forced him to use it. If you don't care to use it, don't use it, but why browbeat those who do?  ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Sep 03, 2014, 10:21 AM »
here is the answer.  if you want to run amsoil sabre at 100:1, 80:1, 50:1 or 40:1 do it, its a free country. run what you want how you want and stop complaining.  hell if you don't want to run amsoil that's fine too.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #40 on: Sep 03, 2014, 11:14 AM »
With fishing websites, threads like this are usually explained with a, "it's been a long winter".

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I have been using saber for about 10 years on all my Stihl equipment, ice augers, etc. I love it. I mix without measuring exactly but between 75 or 100 to 1. Nothing but good to say.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Sep 03, 2014, 08:58 PM »
I use Saber Pro in all small engines at 80:1 .   I've also used Amsoil Outboard oil but not the last couple years because I couldn't find it but it says on the bottle TCW3 and a ratio of 50:1.  Maybe its changed in the last couple years ?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Sep 03, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Well after reading through this whole thread I've been converted, I will begin using amsoil exclusively in my auger from now on. Thanks to all the guys with experience and history with the product for speaking up.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Sep 03, 2014, 10:59 PM »
I have used Amsoil in snowmobiles, weedeaters, chainsaws, blowers as well as ice augers and have never had a problem with any of them.  I also feel that the engines run cleaner and the spark plugs do not foul because of the synthetic oil properties.  It would appear that the real reason that the Amsoil contraversy came up was due to a conversation that went afoul with an Amsoil dealer.  Just because someone has a run in with a misinformed dealer of a product, does not make the product bad.  What solid proof do you have that Amsoil and the 100:1 mix is bad and deserves your degradation of the product based on your expert analysis?  I am sure many people will continue to buy and use Amsoil mainly due to the fact that it is a good sound product from a good sound company and they have had good results from using it.  If you feel that Amsoil is a bad product, then don't use it.  The rest of us users will most likely continue to have good results regardless of your expert opinion of the product.

Not sure how I missed this. I never claimed to be an expert. I'm just a guy who likes to work on motors, and has done tons of research on 2 strokes in particular. I have raced 2 stroke dirtbikes for years, and that is my main info-gathering for kinds of oil. I just thought I'd throw this out there, but I run 32:1 in my bike, and I've never fouled the spark plug. I've fouled more spark plugs in 4 strokes than 2 strokes. That's mostly due to me running 4 stroke plugs till they fail, and changing 2 stroke plugs every couple of years. I ran Amsoil Interceptor all last year in my dirtbike. It did fine, and kept the engine clean, especially the power valve. Still plenty of people kept nagging for me to try 50:1 as it says on the bottle. The reason I run premium oils is to extend engine life. I've never seized a 2 stroke. I've taken them apart with low compression, even major scoring, but with proper oil, they will rarely fail. What a lot of people don't realize, is a ton on engine wear occurs right at start up. Usually during a rebuild, you can notice an engine has a pool of oil in the bottom end which protects the engine on start up. With how little oil goes through a 2 stroke anyway, I have a really hard time believing half the amount of oil is enough. But since the only thing people listen to is "I've used it, and my motor still works," how about some simple logic? No other company claims you can use a 100:1 ratio in any 2 stroke, which is often less than half what the manufacturer recommends.  Is Amsoil more than twice as good as any other oil out there? No, its not. The fact that the company will continue to claim such with little to base it on is why I feel they are not a good, sound company.

I think I've got my point across, whether anyone agrees with me or not, so be it. I'll leave it at this.
-Tom

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Sep 04, 2014, 06:22 AM »
My stuff has never run better since switching to the 100:1 Saber   

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #46 on: Sep 04, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Not sure how I missed this. I never claimed to be an expert. I'm just a guy who likes to work on motors, and has done tons of research on 2 strokes in particular. I have raced 2 stroke dirtbikes for years, and that is my main info-gathering for kinds of oil. I just thought I'd throw this out there, but I run 32:1 in my bike, and I've never fouled the spark plug. I've fouled more spark plugs in 4 strokes than 2 strokes. That's mostly due to me running 4 stroke plugs till they fail, and changing 2 stroke plugs every couple of years. I ran Amsoil Interceptor all last year in my dirtbike. It did fine, and kept the engine clean, especially the power valve. Still plenty of people kept nagging for me to try 50:1 as it says on the bottle. The reason I run premium oils is to extend engine life. I've never seized a 2 stroke. I've taken them apart with low compression, even major scoring, but with proper oil, they will rarely fail. What a lot of people don't realize, is a ton on engine wear occurs right at start up. Usually during a rebuild, you can notice an engine has a pool of oil in the bottom end which protects the engine on start up. With how little oil goes through a 2 stroke anyway, I have a really hard time believing half the amount of oil is enough. But since the only thing people listen to is "I've used it, and my motor still works," how about some simple logic? No other company claims you can use a 100:1 ratio in any 2 stroke, which is often less than half what the manufacturer recommends.  Is Amsoil more than twice as good as any other oil out there? No, its not. The fact that the company will continue to claim such with little to base it on is why I feel they are not a good, sound company.

I think I've got my point across, whether anyone agrees with me or not, so be it. I'll leave it at this.

Want to race my Dirt bike with 100-1 mix against your 32-1. You will loose!

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #47 on: Sep 04, 2014, 08:41 AM »
No other company claims you can use a 100:1 ratio in any 2 stroke, which is often less than half what the manufacturer recommends.  Is Amsoil more than twice as good as any other oil out there? No, its not. The fact that the company will continue to claim such with little to base it on is why I feel they are not a good, sound company.

You got your point across and this subject appears every year. As far as Amsoil being the only company to say you can use their 2 stroke oil mixed 100:1, I disagree. Some people on IS use Opti 2 in their augers. Opti 2 is ok for use in any 2 stroke mixed 3.2 oz of oil to 2.5 gallons gas which is 100:1 according to what I have read. Now there are two companies claiming the same ratio and an online search could possibly find more. One advantage I find while using Amsoil is I no longer have a black discharge coming from the muffler of any of my 2 strokes. Nuff said.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Sep 04, 2014, 08:53 AM »
One time on the line, another mx'er saw there was no smoke coming from my exhaust. He quickly informed us, and my dad and I told him we must of forgot to put the oil in the gas. His look was priceless! We kept it serious and told him we would race anyway because there was not time to go back to the pits. I know he was surprised when I won the race, but if I remember correctly, I think his bike smoked allot less after that!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Sep 04, 2014, 09:06 AM »
I heard they used Amsoil on Chevy's saucer... ;)2  ;D

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #50 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Hilarious  :roflmao: :woot: :whistle: :angel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:17 AM »
You guys really like to egg me on. It has been proven more oil provides more power. Simple as that. I'm trying to tell you that Amsoil has you brainwashed into a completely false way of thinking. I guess some people just wont listen. ::)
-Tom

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #52 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:28 AM »
You guys really like to egg me on. It has been proven more oil provides more power. Simple as that. I'm trying to tell you that Amsoil has you brainwashed into a completely false way of thinking. I guess some people just wont listen. ::)

Nobody's egging you on except you. I figured this thread needed to be lightened up some. We've all stated our opinions and and our feelings on the matter. People are entitled to believe in what they want, for their own reasons, and they will, regardless of someone elses viewpoint. Let's give it a rest.  ;)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #53 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:31 AM »
 ;D  Maybe I have come up with a solution as to why this 2 cycle mixture war has occurred and why we are beating this horse to death !  :o I think the engine manufacturers specify 50:1, 40:1, 32:1 or whatever to cover their butt for warranty purposes, that way if someone wants to use any other brand other than what they recommend, they will be covered.  After all, you can over lubricate a 2 stroke and still be alright, if you don't mind the smoke, etc.  If you under lubricate, you will be doing damage.  The engine manufacturer can't make a 100:1 recommendation because they know that not all oils out there that a person may use will provide the protection needed at 100:1.  Several of the newer synthetics provide that protection at 100:1, but can be mixed at a stronger ratio to cover the engine manufacturers recommendations.  ;)  Hopefully we can let this horse rest before we do beat it to death. :-\  Happy trails !  :)

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #54 on: Sep 04, 2014, 12:24 PM »

I'm not egging you on - we have a difference of opinion and I'm not changing mine - based on years of experience.  You prolly won't change yours and likely won't change that of anyone that has taken part in this "discussion".  So be it.  There are lots of other things that I have an opinion on, very few of those opinions have ever been changed.  Still, I like to hear about different opinions, no matter what they are based on.

Enjoy whatever oil suits your needs/requirements - I know I do.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #55 on: Sep 04, 2014, 01:01 PM »
I'm trying to tell you that Amsoil has you brainwashed. ::)

:cookoo:    Sorry that didn't come to fruition. That must be very frustrating for you. 

I wish you the best in all your future endeavors.     ;)2

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Sep 04, 2014, 02:46 PM »
OK show me the PROOF that Amsoil at 100:1 makes less power than other oils mixed below 100/1!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Sep 04, 2014, 03:18 PM »
I guess my Stihl chainsaw and Tanaka power head are destined to die as they both have had Amsoil 100-1 in them for years now. So with that said I guess I will give them another dose as they seem to like it. May they die happy.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Sep 04, 2014, 04:04 PM »
I for one think Thomasterpikehunter is right. STOP USING AMSOIL NOW!!! It is very bad for your engines. You are imagining that your engines start better,run cleaner and don't smoke. It's just a coincidence that your engines aren't carboning up and your mufflers don't drip gunk all over. Stop using it immediately and send it to me I will dispose of it for you.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Sep 04, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Can you show me why you think more oil is more power?

Did you ever run a two stroke with no oil in the gas, or see It done? Was it faster right before it seized? Or did it slow down and give some warning?

Do you put an extra quart of oil in your cars and trucks?

If you think that oil is power! You are wrong! Oil is friction also? You only need enough oil to protect the parts being used. Any more oil than needed causes heat.the new cars use 5wsomething for gas saving. Putting heavier weight oil in the newer car engines drops the performance and uses more gas.

Back to  the 2 strokes. Using amsoil 100-1 in an engine at 40-1 is crazy! Anything other than 100-1 mixtures and your performance drops. The only thing it may do is convince the user its best so he or she can sleep better. I caught allot of people sleeping on the racetrack.

Please feel free to test for yourself. Using a stopwatch with both mixtures. Let us know what you find. We are listening!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.