Author Topic: Thinnest Ice U will Fish??  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
Thinnest Ice U will Fish??
« on: Dec 19, 2019, 07:51 AM »
Hoping to get out in N.W. RI on Saturday...Temps looking promising right thru the weekend for ice making. I know the ice is constantly cracking/ moving no matter how thick, it's just that you can hear it and see it way more on early ice...Especially when by yourself..

I am 230lbs and have fished on 4 inches before but that doesn't mean I didn't pucker up a couple of times when a crack forms right to the hole/flag u r walking to.

Would like toget your thoughts on the topic
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
Re: Thinnest Ice U will Fish??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2019, 08:02 AM »
2" of perfect ice will keep you dry but it will take days for the pucker to subside...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2019, 08:08 AM »
2" of perfect ice will keep you dry but it will take days for the pucker to subside...

:thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2019, 08:08 AM »
I agree

Offline Fishing_Machine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2019, 09:16 AM »
After you've gone thru (and survived) the amount you're willing to fish on doubles. 

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2019, 09:18 AM »
This really depends on what my intentions are. I will not use my electronics nor my gas/electric augers on anything less than 4". If I just want to get out and fish, 3" for me is pretty much my limit. That is a hand auger or chisel and tip ups and the crappiest jigging rod I have. My thought here is "if I fall in I will not lose expensive gear". Pushing the limits has also dwindled now that I am a dad and he is almost ready to hit the ice with me.
Just add water.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2019, 10:05 AM »
The older I get the more ice I need.  Not as agile as I used to be and my waist line isn't getting any smaller.   With a family that I don't want to leave fatherless my risk taking has gone down dramatically.  With all that in mind, I feel comfortable on 3".    Ice picks, spud, a throwable with a rope and preferably a friend to throw the throwable with the rope.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I'm 165 lbs soaking wet, but I'm 56.. so 3-4 inches works for me. BUT.... if I know I'm in 3-4 ft of water. I'll chip out some holes in front of my house set some tip ups and fish. (I can do that from my front lawn.) not sure I'll catch anything but it's something to do... :P :P
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:43 AM »
What’s up boys! Almost lost my dog through the ice once...I just wait till I can jump up and down and not go through ;D....by the way Lincoln Woods is wide open too much wind. Tight lines and happy holidays!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:54 AM »
I'll go out on 3" with just a jig rod and a spud to scratch the itch... But to get setup with the shack, the hound and a spread of traps for a full day I wanna see 5"
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2019, 11:55 AM »
Depends on the quality of the ice. Minimum of 3” of good, black ice for me. Still spud to test the hardness, and am wary of any white or poor ice. I like to hear the ice “talking” while I fish. That tells me the ice is freezing and growing. It can be unnerving when the lid shifts and cracks, but I’d take that over quiet ice! Safe fishing!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:00 PM »
Early ice, I will walk out on 2". I'm spudding the whole way and stepping lightly.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:05 PM »
4” i weigh 298 and im not eager to fall thru.im at the age where i know there will be fish left for me after the young bucks push the limits on thin ice.its just some fish...

Offline HuyFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:07 PM »
4 inches! anything lower then no dice.
https://www.youtube.com/c/HuyFishin
Follow like and subscribe! Appreciate the support!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Early ice, I will walk out on 2". I'm spudding the whole way and stepping lightly.

LMAO!

200 lbs of feathers is no different than 200lbs of stones, weight wise. But I get what you mean.
Just add water.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Back in the day on thin ice my buddy always said think/walk like a feather.lol

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:12 PM »
What’s up boys! Almost lost my dog through the ice once...I just wait till I can jump up and down and not go through ;D....by the way Lincoln Woods is wide open too much wind. Tight lines and happy holidays!!

I have plenty of venison for a get together Ballbag. Lets try to connect this season.

I will be on 5-6" of ice on Saturday, less than an hour away.
Just add water.

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:35 PM »
Depends on the quality of the ice. Minimum of 3” of good, black ice for me. Still spud to test the hardness, and am wary of any white or poor ice. I like to hear the ice “talking” while I fish. That tells me the ice is freezing and growing. It can be unnerving when the lid shifts and cracks, but I’d take that over quiet ice! Safe fishing!

So do you guys agree that seeing ice crack and hearing the ice talking is a good sign if the temps are still. Below freezing???
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:43 PM »

So do you guys agree that seeing ice crack and hearing the ice talking is a good sign if the temps are still. Below freezing???
Yup. One of my favorite sounds in the world.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:50 PM »
Depends what makes the "crack"...................... .....if I am on 3.5" of ice(which is my limit) and my buddy walks over to look at the fish I just caught and I hear(and feel) a crack................. ...................... .......(he backs off) and we keep our distance!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:52 PM »

3 inches of good clear ice is plenty thick to hold any person …..   and you're dead on that noisy ice is good ice

It's that time again  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2019, 12:53 PM »
This whole thread reminds me of same logic behind the old saying,

"When tightening a bolt, turn it until it breaks and then back off half a turn or so."

Just sayin... ::)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2019, 01:01 PM »

Talking ice is absolutely a good sign. I've been out on a newly frozen big lake with 3 inches of ice in below zero weather and it sounds like you're at a Star Wars movie!     Cracks are normal too as they relieve pressure. I've been out on that same lake shortly after it locked up the ice cracked every time we hit it with the spud - not because it was weak. Other times we've been out on 8 or 10 inches of ice and a monster crack occurs and it sounds like an explosion when it happens - we had to walk to shore on the other side of the crack because there was so much water on the ice.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Online eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I don't have a hard and fast rule about minimum thickness, but I feel reasonably secure on 4". Anything less and I'm on edge the entire time, and probably wearing a life vest while walking around. Use the spud to check if you go out, best of luck everyone and be safe.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2019, 04:46 AM »
Thursday I walked out on 3.5" on ramp in sheltered areas it was 4" out toward the middle it 3" when I got closer to the spillway it was 2.5" holes were skimming over almost as soon as drilled them but I decided to go back to 4" and catch those fish    I have been through the Ice 3 times 4 if you count the time I used the sauna at Locustville  clear ice is the best      cracks that make star wars noises due to ice becoming thicker are good     {that doesn't mean your butt pucker a little every time one runs right between your feet }   low thudding cracks are another story    " by the going through the is never fun even after you just got out of the sauna "

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2019, 05:04 AM »

I do high pitch running across the lake sounds below freezing means you can get back to land the same way you came out       low thuds or the sound of bacon frying you probably should have been back at the truck by now

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2019, 05:40 AM »
I have plenty of venison for a get together Ballbag. Lets try to connect this season.

I will be on 5-6" of ice on Saturday, less than an hour away.

Right on sounds great!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.