The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Will the temps kill the ice?  (Read 584 times)

Offline Ice pack

• IceShanty Rookie
Will the temps kill the ice?
« on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:39 AM »
How many of you think over the next week or two the ice is going to get destroyed from the temps? I am in the south east part

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Will the temps kill the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:53 AM »
Im in sw Michigan and have been on ice anywhere from sketchy 3" to 6" of hard black ice.the lakes with heavy snow will be bad  but the hard black ice i was on can take the warmup.the good ice lakes are east of me.all the ones to the west are crap with water and heavy snow.spud is the best tool.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2024, 09:10 AM »
Shore ice will take a hit, but it'll lock back up if the overnights get back down below freezing after next week.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2024, 10:09 AM »
We can definitely survive this week and maybe into the weekend, but the real question/ problem will be if we don't get good temps back below freezing next week. They were showing good cold air returning, but then flipped that projection. Current forecasts show us struggling to return to good cold air in the se part of the state. Let's hope that changes in the next couple days
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:14 PM »
There are two things that kill ice quickly....... warm rain and warm'ish wind. Warm being over 40 degrees.
Day time temps will be over freezing, but night temps will be below freezing, so what is lost during the day, should be regained over night to some extent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.