Author Topic: How would you rescue your buddy or someone else  (Read 17275 times)

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
Re: How would you rescue your buddy or someone else
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:44 PM »
Seen it a couple times in the thread but I use a waterski tow rope. big enough to grab the handle with mittens on. Also can jam your arm through up to the elbow if too weak to grab on.
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:49 AM »
i carry a rope with a seat cushion tied to an end. it's extremely throwable as well. this also doubles as my flotation device on suspect ice. i tie one end of the rope to me and drag it and the cushion behind me.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:05 AM »
i carry a rope with a seat cushion tied to an end. it's extremely throwable as well. this also doubles as my flotation device on suspect ice. i tie one end of the rope to me and drag it and the cushion behind me.

Do you have a good method for keeping the rope from becoming tangled during the day?  I have the same setup but am afraid if I ever need it to rescue someone I'll have to waste time unsnarling it.

Offline Ice head Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:51 AM »
I always carry a  boat cushion and a rope. I made home made ice picks but I'm going to buy the ones I saw in the videos.
Allot of great ideas and the 2 videos are great. Especially about calming down and stop hyperventilating before attempting to get out.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Seen it a couple times in the thread but I use a waterski tow rope. big enough to grab the handle with mittens on. Also can jam your arm through up to the elbow if too weak to grab on.

I have a throw bag that has a floating rope and a BIG loop at the end with some type of heavy, clear hose thru it(hose is maybe 10-12" in length). Makes a handle that is easier to grab like you are saying, and holds the loop open. Best throw bag I have seen. I'll try to get a pic of it when I get home. Can;'t remember the brand name.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice head Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 30, 2018, 12:59 PM »
Hey RuttNutt I would like to see a picture of that as well.  Thanks

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 30, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Do you have a good method for keeping the rope from becoming tangled during the day?  I have the same setup but am afraid if I ever need it to rescue someone I'll have to waste time unsnarling it.

not really. i just try to keep it untangled from my sled. i tend not to hole hop much when im on questionable ice.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #67 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:55 AM »
I had to deal with someone that fell in on new ice a few years ago. I heard the call for help and located him about a quarter mile away. By the time we got to him he had been in the water close to 10 minutes and was just about ready to go down. He was hanging on to the edge and was real low in the water as his strength was gone from trying to get himself out and his clothes were weighing him down. Both of us had on AA floating ice suits and as always picks so the 2 of us crawled out with my sled and got close enough to him to get the sled to him. He was able to hook his arm and shoulder over the edge and we were able to tie a long rope to the sled and get to safe ice and pull him out. There was no way he could have pulled himself out. He now owns a floating ice suit and IMO having that and picks should help make that job easier. My advice to everyone that ice fishes...invest in a good quality flotation suit and wear the picks.

You are a hero my friend and smart one.  Calling 911 is a good first reaction BUT sounds like it would have been recovery versus rescue.  You did your rescue in a manner that not only worked but minimized your risk.

It is an import message to all that by all means attempt a rescue but keep you witts.  Jumping in after the person should only be done if you are sure you can get back on the ice.  An unfortunate statistic is often two corpses vs one.

Great job!!!    :bow:

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How would you rescue you buddy or someone else
« Reply #68 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:54 AM »
The first thing you do is sit down with your buddy and go over what you should do in case one of you fall in. Keep calm wait for the initial shock to go away and then try to get out and with help it will be easy. SO there is where you start. Before you get to the Lake.

well said

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:48 AM »
Hey RuttNutt I would like to see a picture of that as well.  Thanks

Sorry- forgot to take it out of my gear and get a picture last night. Going out today after work, so will get a pic of it on the ice.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Capt.morgan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:02 PM »
I carry 50' of clothesline rope. But I recommend calling 911 you can always turn them away when they get there. There are many health conditions that can turn deadly when hypothermia is in the mix.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Here is my throw bag. Has a built in whistle

Where's the FISH?!

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:14 PM »
Great info and very good safety gear ideas I would have never thought of, thanks all for posting.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline dualjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "eyes, for to see"!
« Reply #73 on: Feb 21, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Plan ahead, tell your buddy what you have in gear. minutes count. Hypothermia kills, you have to function to drive home still! I carry 75' 1/2 " anchor rope with boat bumper threaded on end of previously tied and taped loop/eye. (large enough for a big man).The  bumper weights the eye of rope to throw in stiff winds or can be skipped like a rock. The end of the rope is tied to a duffle bag of some sort and stuffed lightly into coffee can to keep knots out and payout easier. A second bumper ( small ones) has a SPARE set of spikes attached with paracord, to throw to person in water. This can be thrown or slid on rope to victim( carabiner ). Spare set of cleats, two shanty anchors in bag. You might have to set one!  Dry clothes in truck and blanket. Not at all excessive, weighs little. I WAS INVOLVED IN A RESCUE, AND THE MAN PASSED ON SHORE IN THE AMBULANCE. THE VERY NEXT YEAR ANOTHER DIED STANDING IN CHEST DEEP WATER. (SAME LAKE) ! PEOPLE TRIED GETTING A ROPE TO HIM FOR 45 MIN. TOO MUCH TIME IN THE WATER!!! Brothers and sisters: be prepared, be safe, be there for each other!!!

Offline tkll17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I just added some safety equipment to my sled can't be too prepared. 1) A pre-tied rope with a throwing weight. 2) A second set of ice picks to complement the set I already carry. 3) I now have a plan to discuss the basics of ice safety before going out on the ice with anyone.   

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:59 AM »
Safety should be on everyone's mind as they are looking for first ice. Thought it would be best to bump this thread, given i bought a throw bag this morning. Link is below, looking forward to adding it to my gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBK59C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Now time to research spuds!

Be safe all and tight lines!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:23 PM »
And......if you do get a throw bag practice with it!
Make sure the rope will actually come out of the bag and practice putting the rope back in just in case you miss on the first throw.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #77 on: Dec 10, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I have a throw bag, carry it in the truck a few week before and after I hit the ice, just in case.  Another idea I thought was a good idea, have your buddy drag a 30'- 50' length of rope behind them. If they go through, the rope can be used to pull them to safety.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #78 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:54 AM »
And......if you do get a throw bag practice with it!
Make sure the rope will actually come out of the bag and practice putting the rope back in just in case you miss on the first throw.

This is important. My friend had a rope bag he got at a tag sale and was bragging about how easy it was to save someone. He threw it to show us.

That bag went flying in a huge arch and landed behind him. We laughed at him but we also addressed the need to know how to use it.

He has since learned how to throw and repack the rope.

I use a 100 foot piece with loops tied about every 4 feet for the first 30 feet of it. If someone needs it. They can put a boot in the bottom loop and wrap there hand in a higher loop.

I did this because I figure if someone goes through, they are not gonna have the hand strength to hold onto a rope. With loops, just wrap it around wrist and get pulled out.

I'm very happy in all my years ice fishing, that rope has stayed in my gear untouched.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 24, 2018, 07:53 AM »
We were on ice yesterday where the ice was thin around the trees. My buddy is my son and is wearing flotation bibs, at times I was thinking what the heck are we doing out here. There were others fishing also but still makes me nervous

I was carrying a rope tied to a boat cushion, we have never gone in but the more we fish we seem to take more risk.

I am not sure I would fish without the bibs, probably the best investment I have made.

This forum for sure has helped me with proper gear

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 24, 2018, 08:03 AM »
I have one of those space saving vacuum bags in my truck that has an old bath towel, underwear, socks, sweatpants, sweater, and a hat in it.  That way if anyone does get wet, we can at least get them dry after getting off the ice.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:05 AM »
I carry p-cord. If the situation were desperate I wear a float suit and ice picks so I would just bail in and help them out. If I were miles from anywhere I would think twice about it but most of the places I fish are within an easy 5 minute walk back to the car.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.