Author Topic: How would you rescue your buddy or someone else  (Read 17305 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How would you rescue your buddy or someone else
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:06 AM »
I agree - this is a really good thread.  I saw an ice rescue video last year but haven't been able to find it again where a guy demonstrated how to extract yourself from the ice with picks and without and it was really informative.  I think it was from a fire department in Michigan...will keep looking.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Just thinking about the title of this thread, "How would you rescue your buddy or someone else". Every guy I know has imagined himself as a hero since the age of four. However, when the cheese becomes binding, are you more motivated for the heroics for a buddy or for just some stupid mook over there who wandered out onto thin ice? Personally, I'd go the extra mile for a pal and do what it takes. Total stranger, maybe not much more than shouted encouragement and self rescue instructions. And speaking of self rescue, that's the number two most important responsibility I've set for myself 'cause I usually fish solo and it's no fair putting someone else at risk. Number one emphasis is to stay the heck away from sketchy ice. Stay off it. How tough is that? Nobody needs to fish that bad.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:42 AM »
Number one emphasis is to stay the heck away from sketchy ice. Stay off it. How tough is that? Nobody needs to fish that bad.

To be fair, there are times and places where you can have a foot of ice in one spot and an inch in another.  Even if you only go out on "safe" ice, there is always the possibility of something bad happening to you or someone else.  That's the type of thing I try to be prepared for.  I don't worry about the people that push the limits and go out on sketchy ice because I won't be out there with them in the first place.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Imo you want to throw something that floats, life ring, boat cushion, etc.  Something to keep the person floating.  Have attached to that a floating polypro rope.  An anchor point... I use an ice screw that the climbers use with a carabiner takes about 10 sec to screw it in and clip the rope in.  Most people when they fall in will be hyper ventilating and pulling on the rope as fast as you can feed it to him.  You need anchor point or good cleats. 
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:12 PM »
I don't think anyone has said it yet, but guys don't forget to tie a large slip knot on the end of your rope!! You want the person to be able to loop the rope around their body under their armpits and for you to be able to pull it tight. Easy sliding knot for use with cold fingers. This way even if you cant get the person out, you can hold them above water until help arrives, even past when they lose their grip.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Everyone please remember the first action is to calm down and think. Make a plan before acting. Statistically the number of rescuers killed vs victims is higher for all rescue types.

Be Safe!
Houligan

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Hey Buddy!!!!  Throw me your wallet!!!!!!!!    and your keys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:43 PM »
I always have a boat cushion on a long rope in my gear.

Offline Cortland15b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:12 PM »
In early or late ice situations I wear my dry suit with a life jacket. Purchased the suit for late season kayak fishing and doubled the use for on the ice. Safety picks with me but I sometimes don't wear them when I'm standing on over a foot of good ice. I keep a coiled up rope in the truck in a bag. Probably going to start bringing that with me.

I really need to get a whistle I fish alone 99% of the time and I need the sound to get noticed.

I keep a small waterproof flashlight in my top chest outside pocket of my jacket on the S.O.S setting where it flashes 3 times at different intervals. Good for at night.

Anyone think of what happens when they throw them a life jacket or float and you miss? Everything should be tied to a rope then. You don't want your life to be in the hands of my throwing skills.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:31 PM »
I don't think anyone has said it yet, but guys don't forget to tie a large slip knot on the end of your rope!! You want the person to be able to loop the rope around their body under their armpits and for you to be able to pull it tight. Easy sliding knot for use with cold fingers. This way even if you cant get the person out, you can hold them above water until help arrives, even past when they lose their grip.

This is why I use a bicycle inner tube.  It’s heavy enough to throw on the end of a rope, with a little air it will float and it’s easy and comfortable to fit under you arms in the water.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:41 PM »
my plan is to throw it past them,then I  can angle myself to drag either the rope or cushion towards them..i was a pitcher in high school baseball so not to worried at hitting the mark with a rope and cushion.should be able to get close enough to lob it to them anyway not like your throwing a 50 yard touchdown.

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:44 PM »
I carry with me an old ski rope, which has the handle on the end

Offline Cortland15b

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Oh I forgot to say that my rope has two figure 8 knots on each end making a big loop and also a loop that doesn't slide and tighten like a slip knot does. Loop won't squeeze the air out of them or crush them when you pull them out.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Must have a good plan in place. First thing to do is call 911, then go to your plan of action. Throw a rope or float with rope tied to it. Remember to stay away from the hole so you don't break through or get dragged in by victim. Hopefully the victim can tie himself off with the rope. Now try to pull victim up with rope if you can't pull him out then wait for help to arrive. Never enter the water and make it a 2 person rescue.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:35 PM »
This is the video I was talking about earlier:

Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Great video.  After three times in the drink, I’m amazed he could even talk.  I think what is most notable is calming yourself down which is opposite of how most folks would react.  This causes one to focus on a solution versus making things worst. :clap:

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:09 PM »
I carry one of the Clam throw ropes with us and have a buddy heater and dry bag with extra clothes in the flip over.  Thankfully, I've never had to use them.

For myself, I've got a Striker suit and spikes and got the boy a set of Striker bibs this year as well.  Cheap insurance in my opinion, and they're warm as heck.

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:38 PM »

my grandpa saved me from the ice with this back in 86, got me in the lower neck.  Ive kept it in my tackle box ever since...
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:01 PM »
my grandpa saved me from the ice with this back in 86, got me in the lower neck.
I love it..There's an idea I didn't think of.   The guy in the water doesn't even have to hold on.  Throw him the bunker snagger and give a good pull.  He's coming out of that water one way or the other.  Hi 5 for grandpa!!!!!!! ;) 

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:50 PM »
I carry a Scotty throw rope and have practiced with it.  Like someone said above, don't try to throw them the rope, throw it past/through them.  For myself, I wear Striker bibs and coat. I'll be buying my daughter a set of the bibs next year.

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 22, 2018, 08:33 PM »
I usually just run towards the hole and let said person grab hold of my chest hairs and pull them out   @)

On a serious note I'd hook up a rope to a snow-machine if you have one and throw the end to the person and pull them out.
DILLY DILLY

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Spikes on knee pads. Hmmmmm....
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:46 AM »

my grandpa saved me from the ice with this back in 86, got me in the lower neck.  Ive kept it in my tackle box ever since...

Geez...good thing he wasn’t spear fishing carp at the time.  Course my grandad taught me how to never touch a cigarette lighter when I was 4 by having me touch it.  :'(

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:35 PM »
My tow rope on my hut is 15' long so it keep me out in front of my hut a good distance and I have a 15' tag line attached to the other end of my hut that just drags behind.  My buddy tags behind just in case the lead guy breaks through.  He can then grab the tag line and the lead guy who broke through can hang on the tow rope and be pulled out.   

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2018, 04:17 PM »
6:30 has a "Your buddy went through" section.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Throw bags are easy to make and inexpensive. 50’ to 75’ of 1/2” or 5/8” poly or woven rope with a loop on both ends finished with a bowline knot is all you need. Be SURE to tie bowline knots so it won’t slip and tighten around a wrist or arm like a granny or other knot will. A small cheap pack or stuff sack will work just fine to hold the rope. Hang on to the loop outside of the throw bag, and throw it past the victim so they can grab hold of it. Slowly pull in a consistent way until the victim has a good hold of it, then pull him out. I made my throw bag for about $6.00 to include the rope and a bag from a thrift store. Always carry it on my sled.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:38 AM »
Yes mountain i agree awesome read...i have a throw bag,and a spare 100 ft rope both wit snap links spare ice picks a pull harness fer both my sled and rescue ice cleats incase its all ice whistle...not ta mention you tube vids fallin through da ice all informative..thanks ta all i'll tweak my stuff a bit be safe

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:46 AM »
In the first video, guy was wearing tennis shoes.    Would have much more difficult if wearing heavy boots and cleats.  My size 13 LaCrosse Ice Kings with Kahtoola microspikes weigh a lot more than plain tennis shoes.   Also being 74 and over weight wouldn't help.    So I never fish early, late,  questionable ice,  always wear Striker Ice suit,  use spud,   drill test holes,  and carry picks and throw rope.  Both videos are must watch thou. 

Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:19 PM »
I had to deal with someone that fell in on new ice a few years ago. I heard the call for help and located him about a quarter mile away. By the time we got to him he had been in the water close to 10 minutes and was just about ready to go down. He was hanging on to the edge and was real low in the water as his strength was gone from trying to get himself out and his clothes were weighing him down. Both of us had on AA floating ice suits and as always picks so the 2 of us crawled out with my sled and got close enough to him to get the sled to him. He was able to hook his arm and shoulder over the edge and we were able to tie a long rope to the sled and get to safe ice and pull him out. There was no way he could have pulled himself out. He now owns a floating ice suit and IMO having that and picks should help make that job easier. My advice to everyone that ice fishes...invest in a good quality flotation suit and wear the picks.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #59 on: Jan 24, 2018, 11:52 PM »
i did a self rescue and i explain to every one i fish with how to do the same thing i did.
float suits will have you on your back so let it and elbow walk up and onto the ice and roll away. couldn't be easier. you may want to kick your knees up onto the side of the hole aslo to speed it up and then roll away.

What am I missing here? I don’t see how this will help. You still have to pull, and the rope will be anchored behind you. Please clarify. I may be missing something obvious. Lol

the victim would have a loop around him and the rescuer would tie it off onto himself and then the rescuer would pull the rope that is anchored. this would pull both persons towards the anchor point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.