Author Topic: Ice Traction  (Read 6392 times)

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Traction
« on: Feb 08, 2017, 01:49 PM »
If there's a small slippery area that you have to cross where you're fishing and you don't have spikes or don't want to take the time to put them on, throw some wet fresh drilled ice chips on the slick area.  They freeze down to the slick ice in a couple minutes and are GREAT to walk on.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Ice Traction
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Works for me.

Offline QDAWG44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2017, 06:35 AM »
Wear cleats! Boggles my mind when I see guys walking around ice skating

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2017, 01:32 PM »
i recommend calcium chloride, no more slipping  ;D
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Kitty litter works better!  ;D
Just wear the cleats, problem solved!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:36 PM »
If you don't have cleats, go to Home Depot and get some of the smallest and shortest hex head sheet metal screws, and put a few in the lugs of your boots. I used to do this to my running shoes when it was icy, and you could put the spikes just where you want them for traction. You can take them out again when you are through.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:09 AM »
Won't go on the ice without cleats. A good buddy fell & broke his elbow a few years ago., he decided not to wear them & left  his spikes in his car., ruined his season totally. Lesson Learned  ..

Kahtoola's

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:18 AM »
I have a separate set of boots with cleats already on them.  When it is below zero, putting on cleats on the boots on your feet is not the easiest thing to do.  It’s a simple process to just change the boots if you encounter sections of ice where the snow has blown off. 

Often if you are hiking a mile in the snow to the ice, you have no idea what you might find.  And yes, this is how I’ve done this after I lost a set of cleats on my way to the lake in the snow.

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:40 PM »
I usually wear my spikes.  Not only have they kept me from falling on my butt, they also give me traction in case I need to pull someone out of the water.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Definitely wear your ice cleat. The Kahtoola's ice spikes go on and off very easy and will last you for years.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:08 PM »
Won't go on the ice without cleats. A good buddy fell & broke his elbow a few years ago., he decided not to wear them & left  his spikes in his car., ruined his season totally. Lesson Learned  ..

Kahtoola's

You're right ! I just got a set of these Hillsounds... https://www.hillsound.com/products/trail-crampon-ultra

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.