New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hello everyone im new!  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Fishing Phreak

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello everyone im new!
« on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:38 AM »
hello everyone im new to the site/ ice fishing in general ..... my names dave and  i live in rome ny ... moved up here from newjersey .... never fished fresh water untill i moved here ... and ice fishing looked intresting to me so i figured id give it a go.... im starting a little late but oh well! ive got a few things auger  pole some jigs .... im gona buy some of those tip ups and a sled ....  i know nothing about ice fishing! lol but id be doing most of my fishing on oneida lake in slyvan beach  ive been trying to find a site to let me know if the ice is safe to go out on but cant find one if any of you can help! or would like a fishin buddy some time

Offline Reel Blonde Fishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hello everyone im new!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:41 AM »
WELCOME!!!  ;D  ;D ;D :clap: Lots to learn on here!

Offline Red

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Julie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Hey Phreak, welcome to the shanty - very very good site and lots of info - I started ice fishing last year and with the help of a few buddies and this site I'm well on my way now!  People are awesome too.  Good luck to ya!  ;D

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:54 AM »
Hi Phreak....lucky for you this site has all you need to be an expert in no time.  Spend time learning from this site and talk to some locals that fish the waters you will try.  I must warn ya...ice fishing is addictive...super addictive!!    Welcome!!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Search around this site, there's plenty to be learned, and welcome!
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Well now you've done it!  We're warning you, you're gonna' get hooked!  Good thing is you are here with a bunch of other junkies.   We'll get you on the 12 step program.  Hasn't worked for any of us but maybe you'll do better!
Oneida is a favorite of many.  You'll catch tons of fish there.  Check with the bait shop guys and ask the guys on the ice what is working.  Most people out there are really nice.
Best of luck to you.  Let us know how you do.
Grady95

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:59 AM »
hello everyone im new to the site/ ice fishing in general ..... my names dave and  i live in rome ny ... moved up here from newjersey .... never fished fresh water untill i moved here ... and ice fishing looked intresting to me so i figured id give it a go.... im starting a little late but oh well! ive got a few things auger  pole some jigs .... im gona buy some of those tip ups and a sled ....  i know nothing about ice fishing! lol but id be doing most of my fishing on oneida lake in slyvan beach  ive been trying to find a site to let me know if the ice is safe to go out on but cant find one if any of you can help! or would like a fishin buddy some time
welcome to I/S

Offline 5flagsAflyN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2008, 12:02 PM »
Welcome to the site. You'll like it here, nice people and lots of info :tipup:

Offline ralwag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • PARTY'S ON THE ICE!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Welcome aboard   ;D

Offline jiggin_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2008, 04:31 PM »
Welcome, I'm sure you'll find more than you ever wanted to know about icefishing withing these forums! :tipup:
Good things come to those who bait

Offline Joe Snag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just Waiting for Deer season to open
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Hello from the southern Adirondacks,Joe Snag here,,you live in Rome now--you have to know who the Rappid Roman was-if you don't know,go to the Rusty Nail--he was the GREATEST ever---
[

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:54 PM »
welcome!
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:02 PM »
Welcome to the board. ;D

This is a really good place to talk and learn about ice fishing.

Warning Don't watch the video where the blond girl bites the head off a fish, Iv'e been having nighmares for a few days.  Always the same one, I'm in my shack fishing and all the sudden Some Blond bites my head off, then I have to go and take some head ache stuff.

anyway enjoy the site.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Welcome, Phreak
Icefishing is just like open water fishing, but your casts have to be WAAAAAYYYYY more accurate

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Welcome Phreak. The ice is good to go at Sylvan Beach. Look for the deeper waters there (20-30 fow). Jigging rapalas and swedish pimples tipped with a minnow head work well there. Throw some buckeye minnows on those tipups about a foot off bottom. Good luck.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline ominousone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I'm from Rome too, and if you are looking for some tips, or maybe a fishing partner....drop me a pm

Offline Fishing Phreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:23 PM »
I'm from Rome too, and if you are looking for some tips, or maybe a fishing partner....drop me a pm

well i must be some kinda idiot ! cuz i cant figure out how to pm  you haha ... but my e-mail is [email protected] .... if you want to drop me a line ill get back asap! .... thanks alot !

and thank you every one for the warm welcome! i spent a good part of my day in gander mountain today browseing around looking at all the diffrent stuff when i asked what type of jigs to get they told me cicada so i got a few of them i guess well see how they work ... see you all soon!

Dave

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:41 PM »
well i must be some kinda idiot ! cuz i cant figure out how to pm  you haha ... but my e-mail is [email protected] .... if you want to drop me a line ill get back asap! .... thanks alot !

and thank you every one for the warm welcome! i spent a good part of my day in gander mountain today browseing around looking at all the diffrent stuff when i asked what type of jigs to get they told me cicada so i got a few of them i guess well see how they work ... see you all soon!

Dave
Hey Again,
Blade baits are good. (Cicada is a blade bait)  Let it drop all the way until your line gets slack, reel it up maybe about 12" let it set for 30 seconds or so and the rip it up pretty aggressively.  Go ahead and pull it up about a foot or even two from there, then, either lower it down slow or let it fall back to it's original position.  That's a good way to use a blade.  Don't be afraid to take that blade out of the box at night in your boat as well. Check this out.
http://www.reefrunner.com/html/bladebait.html

Hope you knock 'em dead buddy.  Welcome to the forum.

BTW, your PM privileges automatically kick in after 5 posts, so hurry up and tell us how many fish you caught on those Reef Runners.

Stay sharp, be safe,
Grady

Offline Fishing Phreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2008, 01:12 AM »
hey grady thanks! that site was helpful ill proly be going monday at some point il let yall know how i do.... whats the best time to go ? night time or morning  dawn? or in the middle of the day haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.