The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Break in  (Read 2069 times)

Offline WalkOnWater

• IceShanty Rookie
Break in
« on: Dec 26, 2006, 07:06 AM »
I just ordered some Amsoil Saber. My question is about break in. Do I need to break the motor in with regular oil or can I start out with the Saber. I see a lot of posts about starting out with regular oil and then switching. If the oil is better wouldn't it also be ok for break in. Possibly break it in at 50 to 1.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Break in
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2006, 08:03 AM »

When I had contacted Amsoil with this question last year they had replied that I could use the Amsoil at 100:1 immediately. They said that wear is going to occur eventually because of moving parts so the myth about breaking in the engines parts, seating the valves and the rings is just a myth. If anything you are protecting the engine sooner which is a good thing.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2006, 08:49 AM »
To add to Lonewolf's comment, neither Opti or Amsoil would warranty the engines that customers exclusively use either product in from new, if, in fact, their product was not to be used at their recommended ratios from day 1.

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2006, 10:21 AM »
To add to Lonewolf's comment, neither Opti or Amsoil would warranty the engines that customers exclusively use either product in from new, if, in fact, their product was not to be used at their recommended ratios from day 1.

My sentiments and thoughts exactly . I used opti 2 in my Nils since day one because all that other jabber never ever made sense to me and it looks like Lonewolf verified it with Amsoil direct . I could never understand why not to use it from day one . ??? Rings seat when they get heated regardless of oil .Why use the junky stuff first . ??? I started my Nils off on the good stuff right away . Less labour on your motor I figger .

TD

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2006, 12:55 PM »

That may be true of Opti but not Amsoil. If the equipment manufacturer denies a claim Amsoil will warranty the claim thru their insurance (if it's due to Amsoil's product) .... I'd say they stand behind their products.

Here's a link to their warranty : Amsoil Warranty

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2006, 01:01 PM »
Wow when I saw the title of this post I thought someone had their shanty broken in.  :D :D :D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline WalkOnWater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Everything you said made sense to me. Just had to get all the other posts out of my mind about breaking in your motor with a lesser oil and then switching to the good stuff. ??? At 6000 RPM your piston is going up and down a hundred times a second, if its not broken in five minutes it never will be. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2006, 05:06 PM »

You're welcome WOW and good luck with the auger.  ;)

trapperdirk

« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2006, 07:37 PM »

Quote from: LoneWolf link=topic=41207.msg433571#msg433571
date=1167159356

That may be true of Opti but not Amsoil. If the equipment manufacturer denies a claim Amsoil will warranty the claim thru their insurance (if it's due to Amsoil's product) .... I'd say they stand behind their products.

Here's a link to their warranty : Amsoil Warranty

I do believe Bushbunny's post implies the same thing your saying LW . ;)Both companies will warranty your auger if it's shown that things were caused due to their product whether it be from day 1 or day whenever . Exactly why I went Opti 2 from day one on my new nils .

TD

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2006, 08:36 PM »

I do believe Bushbunny's post implies the same thing your saying LW . ;)Both companies will warranty your auger if it's shown that things were caused due to their product whether it be from day 1 or day whenever . Exactly why I went Opti 2 from day one on my new nils .

TD

OK ... the way I was reading bushbunnies post  .. it was at the engines recommended ratios.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2006, 08:44 PM »
I talked to the Amsoil people a few years ago and they said they would warranty an engine if the manufacturer could prove that it failed due to using Amsoil. At the time I was talking to them about using Amsoil in my pickup's engine.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.