The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: ice Gator auger drill head.  (Read 8911 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ice Gator auger drill head.
« Reply #60 on: Aug 26, 2014, 10:29 AM »
8 inch drills really don't work that great with the cordless drills.  I have a 6 inch Lazer but like the Mora because it  doesn't hang up at the bottom of the hole and it cuts just as fast as the Lazer plus the blades are cheaper. 

I should have went with the Mora ..more and more posts are leaning that way when attached to a drill...but when I originally purchased the Lazer wasn't thinking of attaching it  to a drill or the Clam plate ..those options/thought came a lil later in my thought process.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #61 on: Aug 26, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Just got off the phone with Greg. He gave me a sneak peak into what he will have new this year. Sounds pretty darn nice. Only thing is, its going to be pretty pricey. $650 range. Thats getting up there for just the head unit however I'm a believer in the people behind this ice gator and am very tempted. I'm thinking I may just start out with the ol fashion 24 volt setup and if i don't like the weight of it then maybe upgrade to the lithium. He said he would have some ready to sell by end of Oct. Without even seeing one in person I'm conviced this is the best electric auger out there. The problem I'm having now is that the main reason I'm thinking electric is to save weight and if i go with the 24 volt im not saving much weight. Soooo, the more i read about using a drill it is catching my eye more and more.

Well - what is "new"  I may be looking for a "back-up" drill.   :P

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Aug 26, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Well - what is "new"  I may be looking for a "back-up" drill.   :P

I doubt he cares if the word gets out but he is going to have a 48volt lithium option for this year. Said he has been testing it and the thing will last a looooong time on a single charge and has more power as well. New/bigger motor on this unit compared to past models. Like i said the price will be in the 639 range is the only down side. Sounds like a heck of a unit though.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #63 on: Aug 26, 2014, 12:35 PM »
I doubt he cares if the word gets out but he is going to have a 48volt lithium option for this year. Said he has been testing it and the thing will last a looooong time on a single charge and has more power as well. New/bigger motor on this unit compared to past models. Like i said the price will be in the 639 range is the only down side. Sounds like a heck of a unit though.

Sounds nice!  Two years ago he introduced a 36V model and that disappeared from the line-up.  Not sure what happened?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Aug 26, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Thanks. Your adapter was purchased where? If a guy wants to use an 8in bit is a different adapter needed? I am liking this idea more and more. Thanks

Here is the adapter I have in my pic. I put a pin the the top hole to hold the metal disk with the cord that goes around the drill. This is incase the chuck loosens up. It holds the auger from falling down the hole. The foam on there is a back up plan in case that strap breaks for some reason.

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/HT-Enterprises-Power-Ice-Auger-Adapter-Shaft

8 inch drills really don't work that great with the cordless drills.

The 18v Milwaukee Fuel has proven to work well with an 8in auger. And appears to be the best overall option for this setup. However the Rigid works great for the 6in auger.

Pointerguy had a pretty extensive post using both of these drills.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=273421.120

I should have went with the Mora ..more and more posts are leaning that way when attached to a drill...but when I originally purchased the Lazer wasn't thinking of attaching it  to a drill or the Clam plate ..those options/thought came a lil later in my thought process.

Again, the clam plate IMO is not needed and just adds extra weight. The auger im using in my pic above is a Fin-Bor, which uses a curved blade like the strikemaster. Before that I used a Mora which uses flat blades. It did seem to "chew" thru the ice and punched through easier and didnt get hung up when punching thru. But felt rougher doing it, which i feel equates to more wear on the drill, and more effort to cut, which means less holes. I also like the Fin-Bore because it has an offset handle which I carry in my box. Should i have issues with my drill I still have a nice cutting hand auger with an offset handle to use.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Oct 08, 2014, 03:25 AM »
I got a gator when they first came out. I love its power. But not crazy about the weight. Ice never ran out of juice and cut many holes during the day off fishing. The only problem I ever had was one of the long screws that holds the battery cover on vibrated out and I lost it in the snow. Dee at ice gator sent me a new one at no cost. But I think it was for one of the newer models because it was too long. I had to cut them shorter at work and add more threads. But it still cuts through the ice with no problem. Ice been using it with an HT 7" Arctic Express hand auger... Which I had to have the flute welded back on a few years ago. Still going strong,  though.
jbird68

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #66 on: Oct 08, 2014, 10:10 AM »
I got a gator when they first came out. I love its power. But not crazy about the weight. Ice never ran out of juice and cut many holes during the day off fishing. The only problem I ever had was one of the long screws that holds the battery cover on vibrated out and I lost it in the snow. Dee at ice gator sent me a new one at no cost. But I think it was for one of the newer models because it was too long. I had to cut them shorter at work and add more threads. But it still cuts through the ice with no problem. Ice been using it with an HT 7" Arctic Express hand auger... Which I had to have the flute welded back on a few years ago. Still going strong,  though.

Get a Lithium battery pack for it.  Lose almost 10lbs. instantly -   @)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #67 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Sure wish I could get a hold of someone from Ice gator.  I have called at least once per week since April when my gator stopped working and have yet to talk to any live person or get a return call.  I have left at least 20 messages with my contact info and still no response.  I have emailed them too and no response.  Others have tried on their FB page and no response.   What is the secret to getting a response from them?  Is there are 5 minute window each day when they man the phones?  Do they not listen to VM messages?  I don't get it.  You would think a small company would pride itself on providing service to those that supported them.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #68 on: Oct 18, 2014, 06:26 AM »
Strange wax-worm - that's all I have to say.  I've been on the phone with them and email exchanges several times.  Never a problem.   IDK.
PM me the contact info you have, I'll check it against what I have.  I don't believe he/they have anything for parts to help with the original units.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.