The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster magnum III for a song  (Read 8823 times)

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
Strikemaster magnum III for a song
« on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:12 PM »
I found a Magnum III for $80.It looks a lil worn but not real beat up. The problem is I can't much info on it. Yes I scanned through all 44 pages of posts and googled it to very little success.   Did this auger come with a chipper or shaver blades?
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Strikemaster magnum III for a song
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:00 AM »
Looks like a single blade, anything I dug up pointed that way....
http://www.fishusa.com/StrikeMaster-Magnum-Power-Ice-Auger-Replacement-Blades_p.html
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:26 AM »
It came with a single chipper but who says you have to use that? You can change them if you want. I have a Lazer 224 auger bit on mine Mag III.
From what I have gathered, the auger bits are all interchangable for SM augers. I have used 3 different bits. A chipper, a regular lazer, and a lazer 224.

If you just want to get a new blade, its the chipper style. Follow the link above.
It's a nice auger if it has been treated well. Mine is really old and still runs like a champ. Well actually i think i just messed up something on it when i took off the exhaust... But before i turned screws, it was awesome. Good power, more than enough for 8 inch hole.s

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Thanks . I was wondering if a regular lazer would fit.  I'm gonna run down and get it. Hopefully its still there.

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Did you pick it up? I just bought a 10" MagnumIII and it has 2 blades? I emailed Strikemaster a pic of the auger and all they told me was that they no longer make blades for it, but they could sharpen the ones that are on there.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Yeah it runs great. Blade was dull as a butter knife. I was able to find a new blade at Dicks. found it on clearance for $22.
If yours has 2 blades sounds like some one did some modifing, you might have to figure out what bit you have before you can get blades.

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Here's what the auger looks like(with one blade missing). Anyone recognize the model?

Adam

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Nope but those look like a More blade. How olds that auger?

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:25 PM »
The guy I bought it from said that it was over 20 years old, runs like new. The auger, however, only seems to be good at polishing the ice.
The blades do say 10.25" Made in Sweden. I don't believe that they are the right blades, they stick out past the drill/guide point. The blades looked new, until he demonstrated how well it started in a parking lot.

Adam

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2010, 11:06 PM »
 :%$#!: Ouch on the parking lot drilling. But the blades look right. You might have to search E-Bay for new blades or a new bit. Honestly if the blades are shot there is no harm in trying to sharpen them youself, I've used the sharpener Strike Master sells and had some good luck with it. Auger blades are a real pain, A little burr and they won't cut.

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I am planning on buying a new drill section, but it will be going on the Icegator I'm planning on buying.
I can get these blades sharpened, but I'm not sure that they are the correct blades. The blades stick out past the drill point.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2010, 04:34 PM »
Adam,
The Mora blades don't use a drill point normally just like their hand augers, and Nils etc. The points are mostly for the single blade chippers.

See this pic here

This page has a drop-down list that mentions a 10 in replacement blades for Mora hand augers. I do not know if they would match up to your drill.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2010, 05:00 PM »

Here's my 12 year old cutting holes with the Strikemaster. It's a single blade and rips it up.

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Nor Easter, My auger is a 10", so no match. There is something between the blades that looks like a drill point, and it sure seems like it would help to have one.

Adam

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:45 PM »
It looks like a mora bit off an old Strikemaster electric auger. i agree that it looks like there was a point at one time but it looks like it was worn away a while ago. Wether or not you need it is up to dispute, it seems most power augers have them but the number of guys running Ice Gators and cordless drills on hand augers haven't seemed to need a point.

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Thanks Fishville, for the info and the use of your thread ;D.
It sounds like I just need to send the blades to Strikemaster, hope they send Swedish ones back, and I am in business.

Adam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.