Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Mississippi River Backwaters Ice Reports?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
Mississippi River Backwaters Ice Reports?
« on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:41 AM »
Has any ventured out onto any of the backwaters? If so, how much ice is there?
I'm what you would call an ice fishing freak.

Offline Qceskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Mississippi River Backwaters Ice Reports?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Checked it out the other day.  It's not safe.  Open water on the shore, and the current is coming through the Wapsi backwaters.  Checked out rock creek and the camanche harbor

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2017, 12:39 PM »
Checked it out the other day.  It's not safe.  Open water on the shore, and the current is coming through the Wapsi backwaters.  Checked out rock creek and the camanche harbor

How much ice was at rock creek?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Over a foot of ice on backwater in savanna. River dropping like crazy right now.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2017, 02:45 PM »
How much ice was at rock creek?

Ill answer my own question. Ive been fishing rock creek park all week, ice is 8-9" and frozen solid at shore (or at least was yesterday). Fishing absolutely sucks, but if 8-9" is unsafe then I dont know what to think.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Ill answer my own question. Ive been fishing rock creek park all week, ice is 8-9" and frozen solid at shore (or at least was yesterday). Fishing absolutely sucks, but if 8-9" is unsafe then I dont know what to think.

Pretty obvious why the variance in reports, you guys did not drill holes in the same exact area.   As an example, where I fished the Mississippi backwaters this weekend, I found as little as three inches and as much as 20 inches of ice, all within 100 yards of each other.  My report could be worded either way and be correct.

Any one fishing back water areas needs to know that ice thickness is not a guaranteed thing and not uniform in thickness over any given area.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:41 AM »
Pretty obvious why the variance in reports, you guys did not drill holes in the same exact area.   As an example, where I fished the Mississippi backwaters this weekend, I found as little as three inches and as much as 20 inches of ice, all within 100 yards of each other.  My report could be worded either way and be correct.

Any one fishing back water areas needs to know that ice thickness is not a guaranteed thing and not uniform in thickness over any given area.

I fishes the same place everyone else fishes. The slough is 50 yards wide and 200 yards long. There was 11 trucks worth of guys on sat, and 9 when I left on sunday. There was no place he could have drilled where he wasn't within 50 yards of someone fishing. Unless he just drove by the open water slough that stays open almost year around, figured it was all like that, and left.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2017, 05:31 AM »
Kevin,
Well there you have it, two different areas.  You just said there is another slough which has ice at least some of the time.   Maybe that is the area he wanted to fish. 
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Easy. I know the ice is going bye bye, but there's no need to start getting heated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.