Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice out  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice out
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Someone has to bring it up unfortunately but I think it's coming quick! 😡 That being said what everyone's favorite ice out set up ?  I'm used to fishing docks at ice out but due some jerks that won't be happening anymore .  So il be fishing ice out from shore kinda excited actually heard it can be very good fishing
Red screens and tight lines!!😀😀

Offline ratfinky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut! Asphalt pro
Re: Ice out
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:22 PM »
A lot of winter left yet .........

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:23 PM »
I think I'll still be on ice 3/15/17!!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:33 PM »
I think we are at least a month away from being off the ice, and probably another week or two past that for actual iceout. Your area might be different.

Ice jigs under an ice bobber fished on the warm end of the lake (windblown side on warm days). Usually the fish are up along rock or sandy bottoms where the water is warmer and the larvae are active.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:23 AM »
I think we are at least a month away from being off the ice, and probably another week or two past that for actual iceout. Your area might be different.

Ice jigs under an ice bobber fished on the warm end of the lake (windblown side on warm days). Usually the fish are up along rock or sandy bottoms where the water is warmer and the larvae are active.

Same setup.  I have also hit them with tube jigs on a bobber or not.  North Side of ponds with the south wind in your face.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:37 PM »
x3, or whatever, on fishing the shallow wind-blown shorelines as soon as the ice is out, especially when the sun is hitting that shoreline as well. Waxies work great for panfish, with cut bait working for catfish. But enough talk of ice-out fishing...

I was out on a pond in southern Linn County this weekend. I had 6" or so of ice once I got away from shore, where there was maybe an inch of new stuff. I only had to step out a couple feet to get past that. This pond does not get a lot of runoff.

Another pond that has pretty good flow going in to it had several feet of open water around the edges. I have never been a fan of walking the plank, so I had to pass on that one.

Looking at the forecasts, if we get past today with the warm temps and wind we should be alright for a little while yet on at least some water around CR. I doubt that we will still be ice-fishing anywhere here March 1, though, like we have been doing in some past seasons.

Even if we get a cold February, and right now there is no deep freeze on the horizon, we have not built up the ice we usually have this time of the winter to keep us going in to the first part of March.

Offline ralphy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:25 PM »
I checked out McBride today. Was informed by one fellow that is starting to honey comb!!!!!
I have noticed a rather heavy set lady observing the lake lately.
If your a weekend fisherman I highly recommend going with a buddy and checking the ice with your spudbar
before you unload.
STAY SAFE
good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.