The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: wadda you think  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Ponky

• Team IceShanty Regular
wadda you think
« on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:22 PM »
Wadda you think,  ponds get over fished to the point of changing the fish population ? A pond I've fished for over 40 years seems to have changed over to mostly pickerel. I used to catch large bass 6-7lb regularly.  I don't think people are catching and keeping, but maybe. Have any thoughts ?

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
Re: wadda you think
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2024, 03:50 PM »
I think it's absolutely possible. There's a pond local to me that used to have a healthy population of ling, but more and more people found out and now they are pert near extinct. Sadly, often people don't learn about which fish are the best breeders and will just keep any, or all that they can.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:14 PM »
In some fisheries, yes. 

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:18 PM »
Another consideration.... Pickerel have the same diet as Northerns. So, without anyone takin them and keepin their population under control, they will continue to eat the smaller fish. Therefore, much less larger fish over time.

Pyro
Those were the days.

Those were the days

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:27 PM »
Well, pickerel is native and bass isn't...they just reclaiming what was their all along ;)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:32 PM »
By targeting bass, they are interfering with their regular feeding cycles, and that can give the pickerel fry enough time to get too big to be considered by the bass.
Then the pickerel turn around and target everything else so that the bass fry are not the target of the pick's

That happened at a pond in Westford, and they started encouraging anglers to remove as many small pickerel as they want/could.
At its worst, you could run thru dozens of shiners and catch a multitude of 8-12" picks. It was sad.

Then they cleared out some of the weeds and had people cull what they could.

Now the pond has a somewhat balanced population.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:57 PM »
I think it's absolutely possible. There's a pond local to me that used to have a healthy population of ling, but more and more people found out and now they are pert near extinct. Sadly, often people don't learn about which fish are the best breeders and will just keep any, or all that they can.
Pyro

I'm sorry - - but what the heck are "ling"? 

Whatever they are, we don't have them out here in MA. 

Offline Gansett

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hi Neighbor !!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:59 PM »
One of my favorite fisheries gets slammed by tournaments during the spawn, the bass population has noticeably changed in my opinion.

Females get pulled off their beds, the eggs become vulnerable.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2024, 06:38 PM »

I'm assuming it is a fresh water cusk which we have in Ma,Ct, NH and Me
MA

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2024, 06:45 PM »

Burbot, cusk, lawyers, whatever they're called in your neck of the woods, called ling in Montana.

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2024, 07:26 PM »
Burbot, cusk, lawyers, whatever they're called in your neck of the woods, called ling in Montana.

Exactly this. Thanks, meandcuznalfy.
I reckon eelpout is among that list of common names.

Pyro

Those were the days.

Those were the days

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2024, 07:41 PM »

Seems like they're rare in yer state.

"Rivers and streams
Rivers and large streams in Massachusetts are home to many kinds of fish, including sportfish like northern pike, bowfin, and white catfish, as well as rare species like burbot. "

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/masswildlifes-fish-conservation-activities

Pyro
Those were the days.

Those were the days

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:11 PM »
Only place to catch 'ling" aka borbout in mass is the ct river
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:22 PM »
I’ve been out to a bunch of places that are well known for groups of people going out and filling buckets of everything and anything no matter what they are and sizes. It doesn’t matter. The quality of the fishing suffers. Sad.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:43 PM »
Only place to catch 'ling" aka borbout in mass is the ct river

Also colbrook resevoir
MA

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:48 PM »
One of my favorite fisheries gets slammed by tournaments during the spawn, the bass population has noticeably changed in my opinion.

Females get pulled off their beds, the eggs become vulnerable.
Personally, I think tournaments should be banned during the spawn

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:49 PM »
I’ve been out to a bunch of places that are well known for groups of people going out and filling buckets of everything and anything no matter what they are and sizes. It doesn’t matter. The quality of the fishing suffers. Sad.

Fish bio I fish with frequently says this isnt the case in many lakes and actually the opposite is true in many lakes.  The lack of recreational harvest on some species causes "stockpiling" essentially too much competition for food and lower growth rates.  A good percentage of lakes in CT (where I live) that were surveyed exhibited excessive stockpiling and low growth rates.

One of the mass lakes we fish is a 600 acre "great pond" that he said angling pressure for panfish could not effect the fishing negatively. 

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:52 AM »
That happened at a pond in Westford, and they started encouraging anglers to remove as many small pickerel as they want/could.
At its worst, you could run thru dozens of shiners and catch a multitude of 8-12" picks. It was sad.

Who is "they"? Removing more than five pickerel a day per person as well as any under 15" is illegal. Even the DCR couldn't recommend that without a change in the law. I know other ponds where I wish it was possible. Pequot Pond especially.

Offline Ponky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2024, 07:52 AM »
My brother called me after he read my post and thought it was cyclical only...Bass are in charge first until the pickerel can move in after the bass decline...then the bass make a resurgence when the next generation of bass can take over, for what ever reason.  What made me think of this is fishing two ponds I've fished my whole life...Last week, my wife and I fished a small pond just to the south of Boston and caught 3 bass5.5, 3.5 and 1.5lb...We were somewhat shocked as we hadn't fished there for a few years and only caught small pickerel...another pond south of Boston always had big bass, my brother caught a 7lb bass through the ice...now all we catch are pickerel...and  we feed them...the pickerel to the seagulls... I hope its only cyclical because at age 73 I might not have time to see the return of the bass...cheers!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2024, 11:45 AM »
.now all we catch are pickerel...and  we feed them...the pickerel to the seagulls... I hope its only cyclical because at age 73 I might not have time to see the return of the bass...cheers!

Honestly, I know you're an old timer, but I hate this mentality and it could very well be illegal.  Not against leaving a fish or two out for the eagle, but to kill all small pickerel is wonton waste. 

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2024, 12:20 PM »
too many variables to mention on sustained fish populations for every lake and pond alot of factors involved, including above things. structure, weeds, depth contours, size, baitfish, predators, pressure, water quality, ect.....

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2024, 01:31 PM »
Honestly, I know you're an old timer, but I hate this mentality and it could very well be illegal.  Not against leaving a fish or two out for the eagle, but to kill all small pickerel is wonton waste.
Killing a lot of the pickerel could make the bass situation even worse as you are removing the predators that keep the panfish population in check. Those panfish eat the bass eggs and fry.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2024, 02:07 PM »
I've been to underfished ponds that require a hike into and they usually have stunted populations of most species. I must have caught 150 perch on a pond that was a 1 mile hike off the road one day last season and not a single one was over 5 inches long. A lot of those ponds would benefit from some selective harvesting by anglers. But I've also seen an 11 acre pond get absolutely decimated because it got popular on Facebook for being an early ice spot. It would be nice if people could just use some common sense and not fill a bucket with fish if the water body is that small. Keep all the trout you legally can on small ponds but don't take 40 perch every time you're out and expect that to be sustainable. If nobody wants to use common sense we'll end up like Maine with a million different rules for every lake.

Offline Ryan51993

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2024, 02:09 PM »
I've been to underfished ponds that require a hike into and they usually have stunted populations of most species. Most of them have so many perch you can catch them all day long but you won't find one over 5 inches.. A lot of those ponds would benefit from some selective harvesting by anglers. But I've also seen an 11 acre pond get absolutely decimated because it got popular on Facebook for being an early ice spot. It would be nice if people could just use some common sense and not fill a bucket with fish if the water body is that small. Keep all the trout you legally can on small ponds but don't take 40 perch every time you're out and expect that to be sustainable. If nobody wants to use common sense we'll end up like Maine with a million different rules for every lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.