Author Topic: River Fishing For Eyes??  (Read 2324 times)

Reelinrolly

River Fishing For Eyes??
« on: Jan 28, 2004, 12:56 AM »
Im planning on trying to fish the sydenham river in southern ontario for eyes.  I t is my first time ever fishing for walleye throught the ice so i need a little guidance.  i was going to use a tip up and a jigging rod...with a rappala or swedish pimple.  How does water clarity affect walleye....i bleieve this particular river has poor visiblility but I knwo people fish for walleye on it.  What baits should I use and what are some things I could do to better my chances of hooking into some walleye action.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:River Fishing For Eyes??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2004, 06:03 AM »
I have had great luck using bare colored hooks and live minnows. Size from medium to large. I have had to donk a few on the head to get them to respond, but once they woke up a lot of them woke up. I use a Vex to find them and watch their reaction from there. During the day I have been getting them out of 30+ feet of water. At night I find them anywhere from 12 to 20 feet. They will most likely be on the bottom, but try to keep your bait above them and make sure your minnow is lively. I have had some luck with glow jigs too. I haven't had much luck with Raps.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

grumpymoe

Re:River Fishing For Eyes??
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2004, 09:17 AM »
the one thing you must do in low clarity water, is SLOW DOWN.. for tipups, i would suggest one and only one bait. SHINERS   for jigging rods, any darker color (including black) jigheads tipped with a small shiner. twitching lightly once in awhile will probably produce best for you. once you have a school of fish around, you should be able to keep their attention until they move on. lol grumpymoe      p.s. the oddity is using darker colors in stained/low clarity water and brighter/lighter colors in clearer water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.