Author Topic: best lures to use to jig for pike  (Read 7468 times)

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
best lures to use to jig for pike
« on: Nov 09, 2017, 09:14 AM »
I have been getting better at catching pike on tip ups but not so much on jigging. what do you guys recommend for popular lures to jig for pike and what colors? I have used hd ice lures, kastmasters, spoons, tube jigs and all with very limited success. any info would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: best lures to use to jig for pike
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2017, 05:19 PM »
I use one of these with a piece of cisco on the single hook.

I also use size 4 Lindy Darters in Chartreuse Glow again with a minnow or small chunk of cisco to add scent.

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:07 AM »
thanks for the info. what is cisco? just curious

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:22 AM »
thanks for the info. what is cisco? just curious

Lake herring

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Anything that rattles and is flashy for me. I use either a big Rattlin flyer spoon or a VMC rattle spoon ( i think its a louder rattle then a buckshot) flashier paint scheme the better. I tip all of them with a minnow head. I work it fairly aggressive till they come in and then if they hesitate i do a light jiggle with my rod tip and work it up above them. 50% of the time they come out of nowhere and hammer it. If i notice they are on a reaction bite, i will switch to a Russian type flutter spoon with no minnow head, the only thing that sucks with the flutter spoon is they tend to inhale them deep.

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Cisco are actually Tulibee.

Might be surprising, but a high quality heavy jig with doubled up minnows works just fine for pike.

Cisco, Tullibee, Herring, and Lake Herring are names for the same fish according to the MN DNR.

http://dnr.state.mn.us/fish/cisco/index.html

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Anything that rattles and is flashy for me. I use either a big Rattlin flyer spoon or a VMC rattle spoon ( i think its a louder rattle then a buckshot) flashier paint scheme the better. I tip all of them with a minnow head. I work it fairly aggressive till they come in and then if they hesitate i do a light jiggle with my rod tip and work it up above them. 50% of the time they come out of nowhere and hammer it. If i notice they are on a reaction bite, i will switch to a Russian type flutter spoon with no minnow head, the only thing that sucks with the flutter spoon is they tend to inhale them deep.
.       With the flyer spoon, is a 1/4 oz  size you use?

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:33 PM »
.       With the flyer spoon, is a 1/4 oz  size you use?

Yes if i know there is big pike, i will go down a size to if needed. Its a rattlin flyer though, the regular flyer dont have any rattles in them.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Thanks for that information D-L, appreciate it!

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:09 AM »
awesome!! thanks for all the info everyone!! I normally use some sucker meat but it doesn't stay on all that well. gonna have to get me some minnows and put the minnow head on and jig.

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2017, 08:31 AM »
To be a wise a$$ whatever hook is the most vulnerable ... It seems they will always strike on whichever hook is tied direct to the line little hook thief's they are when jigging.    But really any jig from small t tots with maggots jigging spoons and body baits and everything else in between.   When they are hungry they don't seem to care. 

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2017, 10:40 PM »
I fish for muskies in the summer and have done a fair amount of jigging for them. In the winter I'll use some of the same baits for pike. Fuzzy Duzzits, Bondys, 1oz RattleTraps, Tiger Tubes, etc. Yes, they are big but pike will take them. Pike are water goats, they'll eat anything and will try to down stuff that is much bigger than you'd expect them to take. 

I don't even know what my pike rod is but it's quite stout. Because I'm using baits like that I rigged this rod up with 80# power pro and use a 100# Flourocarbon leader.  Overkill?  Yes...perhaps... It's basically a muskie set up on a jigging rod but when you hook into a fish you're not going to lose an expensive bait because of a line snapping. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:53 PM »
I fish for muskies in the summer and have done a fair amount of jigging for them. In the winter I'll use some of the same baits for pike. Fuzzy Duzzits, Bondys, 1oz RattleTraps, Tiger Tubes, etc. Yes, they are big but pike will take them. Pike are water goats, they'll eat anything and will try to down stuff that is much bigger than you'd expect them to take. 

I don't even know what my pike rod is but it's quite stout. Because I'm using baits like that I rigged this rod up with 80# power pro and use a 100# Flourocarbon leader.  Overkill?  Yes...perhaps... It's basically a muskie set up on a jigging rod but when you hook into a fish you're not going to lose an expensive bait because of a line snapping.

Better be pretty stout rod if you're jigging Bondys. They tip the scale at 7 oz. and that's just for the "regular" size ones. I know because I got a couple boxes of them I use frequently. Haven't found an ice rod worthy of pumping them or I would. @32: is that stout rod a commercial deal or custom? I'd be interested...  ;)2

My primary pike jiggers are lipless rattle baits (think Rattle trap and the like). I've also used tipped airplane jigs (really old school but really effective), flutter spoons with silicone skirts and straight dead bait on a Q/S rig. Done well on all but the rattlers are the easiest and catch fish.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:25 PM »
It is a stout rod. No idea what it is but I’ve had it for a bunch of years. Came across it a few years ago and thought “hmmmm....let’s see what this thing has.” It’s nothing fancy at all. If I bought it I wouldn’t have paid much for it. I think it’s an old HT rod.

True...you’re not going to aggressively jig a Bondy all day long...I’ll call pike in with a rattle bait and watch the camera. If there are bigger fish lurking the bondys come out. Those bigger pike go nuts on them. The smaller stuff less than 30” shy away from stuff that size.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:13 PM »
@ 32: you got a model number on that rod that handles Bondys? I have an interest... ;)2

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:21 PM »
The hot orba runs 5.6 ounces.... Would still need a pretty stiff rod.... I got a broom you could use ::)
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:28 PM »
#9 chart/white jiggin rap and big rattle traps work good but haven't caught anything over 37" on them and mostly smaller fish...
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:29 PM »

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:25 PM »
The hot orba runs 5.6 ounces.... Would still need a pretty stiff rod.... I got a broom you could use ::)

And that's the problem using full size musky lures thru the ice. Regular Bondy goes 7 oz., Chubby Darters go 3.5, the mini Wobblers are about that too.

I need a rod...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:39 PM »
The one I put a pic of is on ebay for 10$ and it looks stiff enough to do the job.... You aren't gonna be ripping too hard and if it can handle a 40" fish it can handle a 6oz jig

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:24 PM »
They all look heavy, especially in comparison to conventional jig rods, but when you finally hang 4 - 7 oz. on the end and try to work a lure they are woefully inadequate. I've been through a few, even rolled a few of my own but no Bondy tools yet. Still looking.

Maybe I'll have to break out the 9' open water rig and step back a bit... :o

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Could always use half of a 2 piece full-sized spinning rod.... Wouldn't have any sensitivity but then again a 7 ounce lure doesn't get nibbled

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:45 PM »
I have two of these, low cost, I love them for big jigs and big fish.
https://automaticfisherman.com/store/#!/AF38HH-Automatic-Fisherman-Heavy-Heavy-38-Lake-Trout-Rod-with-a-cork-handle/p/56951309/category=15414119

Berkley also makes a nice heavy one. I'll have to look that one up.
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:13 PM »
Esox, the HT Togue rod would handle a half# jig.  I use it mostly with 2-3oz jigs in 100ft+, but I think it'd work well for the Bondys.  It has a nice long handle too.  I pair it with a 6500 Abu and 20lb trilene big game, mostly for lakers.

I've had excellent results with Northland's airplanes too, Drifter knows what's up.  I like the blue/glo one best.  Hurt getting owned for $8CAD by big pike the couple times it happened tho...

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:32 AM »
Rattle trap or a red white dare devil spoon  or similar casting spoon.. even looking at deep diving baits with a 1/2ounce weight attached to the ring closest to the eye were your line goes  so it dives and shakes when jigger sharply..

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:26 AM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Better be pretty stout rod if you're jigging Bondys. They tip the scale at 7 oz. and that's just for the "regular" size ones. I know because I got a couple boxes of them I use frequently. Haven't found an ice rod worthy of pumping them or I would. @32: is that stout rod a commercial deal or custom? I'd be interested...  ;)2

My primary pike jiggers are lipless rattle baits (think Rattle trap and the like). I've also used tipped airplane jigs (really old school but really effective), flutter spoons with silicone skirts and straight dead bait on a Q/S rig. Done well on all but the rattlers are the easiest and catch fish.

This one would work for those baits.
I built it several years ago but have not been using it as it's too stout for what I wanted it for.

Offline whale1979

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Do any of u guys jig with the super trap 4"-4.5" or biggest chubby darters? With any luck for the big ones??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.