Author Topic: Trouble in the cold  (Read 2578 times)

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trouble in the cold
« on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:07 AM »
I bought a couple used atvs this fall for ice fishing.  I brought them up to south Dakota for my son and I to use and the high yesterday was 2 degrees.  Mine wouldn't hardly turn over like the battery was drained,  tried charging it with no luck so I went and got new battery and put it on the charger.  My son's fired right up so we put it on the trailer and drove about 45 minutes and got to the lake and his wouldn't hardly turn over like the battery was dead.  Is my problem that I'm hauling them on a open trailer and at 70 mph wind chill with the temps the it drains the battery?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trouble in the cold
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:14 AM »
Mkeller, i don't think the temperature is the issue, most likely a under charged battery or they need to be replaced.
 I've own atv's  for 30 years and only had cold weather starting problems when the battery is on its way out .
Unless you have something that's draining them while they sit unused.
A reputable battery shop can do a load test to tell you if your battery tired or just drained .

Offline mkeller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I had replaced one of the batteries in November.  Should I put a trickle charger on them when not in use?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:43 AM »
I have a maintenance charger on mine whenever it isn't being used. Makes all the difference.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Depending on the time they sit unused.
If they sit a lot more than they are used then a battery tender would be a good idea.
If you use them for a day and then put them away till the following weekend and they wont start then you have a drainage problem.
I have a 500 polaris and it can sit for weeks with out a problem starting right up.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Maybe some synthetic engine oil would let them turn over a tad easier when cold.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:01 AM »
are these carb or efi machines? cold shouldnt be an issue with either but it will help troubleshoot your problem.

what kind of batteries do you have on them? I wouldnt use anything but a good AGM battery. The new AGM batteries are great but the biggest problem with them is recharging them. If the charging voltage is too high, over 14 to 14.5 volts, it will fry the battery. The battery should be charged at a rate of .75 to 1.5 amps on an auto shut off battery charger. Put it on a charger and charge it too fast and it will ruin the battery.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:28 AM »
are these carb or efi machines? cold shouldnt be an issue with either but it will help troubleshoot your problem.

what kind of batteries do you have on them? I wouldnt use anything but a good AGM battery. The new AGM batteries are great but the biggest problem with them is recharging them. If the charging voltage is too high, over 14 to 14.5 volts, it will fry the battery. The battery should be charged at a rate of .75 to 1.5 amps on an auto shut off battery charger. Put it on a charger and charge it too fast and it will ruin the battery.

I agree with the AGMs....I use Deltran battery tenders and the quick disconnect setup on all my ATVs, Snowmobiles and water craft.....I also use full synthetic oil in everything but I don't know if that makes a difference or not...
I have 1 carbed Polaris and 2 EFIs........There is a world of difference between the way the 2 start in cold weather... I would never buy another carbed anything again if it is going to be used in cold weather... My Carbed sportsman does fine and I started it last week in 7 degree weather but it takes some playing around with the choke...With my Fuel injected rigs they fired right up and ran smoothly while I stood there drinking a cup of coffee...

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Another thing to keep an eye on is the brushes in your starters, you might need to get a shop manual and starter rebuild kit for those starters.
Another is use sae 0w20 motor oil.
Use fresh gas as old stale stuff will drive you nuts.

Here in NW Arctic Alaska folks use a 17 watt electric oil pan heat pad on the bottom the crank case to warm up the oil and case related structure.
Trying to start those little 4 strokes cold just is plain hell on the timing chain and oil seals.
I knew a guy thatd drive his honda 110 to work at -44°F by pulling off the seat and dumping 5 gallons of hot water on the cylinder and carb and crankcase.

One thing about driving a atv in really cold wx over a period of time in a outdoor situation (no warm shop/garage) is the oil never really gets hot and eventually moisture will build up in the crankcase melting and pooling up in bottom the oil sump till one day you start it and since the oil pick up is encased in ice it wont lube the cylinder and head.
That reminds me another thing is iceing up the crankcase vent hose, you might wanna watch that.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:32 AM »
I'd suggest bringing along a battery jump starter when you head out. No worries about a dead battery out on a lake when there may be nobody there to help you.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Wind chill should make no difference on that, only living things like us !   If it’s 2* outside and u go 100 mph, check temp of the mirror on the car, or anything metal, it’s gonna say2*

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:28 AM »
It will also help to use a lighter winter weight oil in your atv. That sluggish slow turn over with heavy oil is absolute torture on your motor..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.