Author Topic: Mono or Fluro? What is everyone using?  (Read 7387 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mono or Fluro? What is everyone using?
« on: Nov 19, 2005, 06:54 PM »
What type of line is everyone using?  I used the Trilene Micro Ice (blue) last year and was very pleased with it.  The fish didn't seem to mind the blue line.  With all the new ice lines out there this year, what is the recomendation, fluro or mono?
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

hali-man

Re: Mono or Fluro? What is everyone using?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2005, 06:59 PM »
I'm going to try P-Line's Floro-Clear this year.
It's a combination of both.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:45 PM »
some people love that p-line flouro clear stuff.  Other people like me think it is WAY WAY too soft (no abrasion resistance)...even for ice fishing...but hey, thats just me ;D  I use flouro leader (VANISH only) when using braid (deepwater heavy jigging lures)...otherwise, I use trilene xl, or something nearly equivalent for everything else

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2005, 10:11 PM »
Well, I used P-line floroclear all season last year on my jigging rods. It is soft, but had good knot strength; the only break-offs were locking onto stumps or rocks. Most of my fishing was for panfish with 2-4# test. It is also very hard to see in thin diameters, which is why I usually have rigged several rods at home under a strong light. Anyway, it worked great for me, and I have always been a Trilene man. I agree it might not be as tough as some for leaders.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:33 AM »
I just respooled my rods this weekend. I have Fireline ice on one and the other 2 are done up with the PowerPro ice...braid all the way......I tried that Blue Trilene last season and I really didnt like it, I will probably give a ferw more lines a try befor seasond end...there is always room for improvment.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:35 AM »
tried that Blue Trilene last season and I really didnt like it

Me too - JUNK!

I am going to experiment with Suffix, Gamakatsu G-line and McCoy's mean green(if i can find it)

I had the G-line spooled up all last year on a 4lb rod, and it lasted on the spool all season, and well into the open water (3x-4x longer then normal for me)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:25 PM »
I love P - Line fluoroclear and find it pretty strong and fairly abrasion resistant. It's about as strong as original stren, but has a little more memory. But for finicky fish in hard pressured, clear Colorado lakes, it really works wonders.
For pike leader I use the stiffer, P Line fluoro leader material for pike and it works great. For other lines that work just fine, Original Stren or the more smooth stren magnaflex work well too. If I ever have a doubt that fish are being leader shy, I will always use a fluoro leader.
As far as fireline or any superline, I have found them to collect far too much water and to freeze up far too easily. And I do not like the way that I cannot feel my jig thump back down, as I can with mono or fluoro.
I have also found Berkley Vanish to be very brittle and have poor abrasion resistance and knot strength. I don't use it.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I was mainly using the copolymer P-Line floroice not floroclear as both leader and main line material.  I have a spool of floroclear but haven't used it much.

SB- Could you please enlighten me as to the difference (in your opinion) between Floro-Clear and Floro-Ice. Is there any, or is it just a marketing thing?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:32 PM »
I think the Floroclear is somehow coated with flourocarbon particles. My results last season were: Floroclear+ Hali jigs = many tasty dinners. Plus many fish were educated and released for the future. Good jigging to all, no matter what you use! Just oiled up one of my reels and loaded it up with braid (also P-line 2# diam.). Felt good in the kitchen, but 25-30 fow might be a better test. Probably a good month or more to go here in PA. Can't wait!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2005, 07:23 AM »
Gamma has introduced a new fluro into the market(ESP ice).As fluro being more dense than mono, it tends  to absorb less water, a bonus for ice anglers.

Also Cajun Line has come out with a new ice line I think might be worth checkin out!
Andrew

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:58 PM »
how is the line memory on the floro line im thinking about going with the vanish line this year through the ice if the memory isnt to bad in the cold weather.  Im also thinking about using it during soft water next year because of its density in fishing in windy conditions i like to get my line down quickly to notice any bites on the way down.
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2005, 08:32 AM »
Vanish has a good bit of memory, but I do know people that use it as a mainline.  I just use it as a leader.   If you want a flouro main line, I would go with the p-line floroice that slipbob uses, it worked great for him.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:50 AM »
I use fireline as a mainline then attach about 4ft of Berkley Vanish.
Never had a problem with it freezing on the reel but I don't generally fish when it gets below -40. Sometimes when I use an ultra lite jig, I have to spool my line off some by hand for a bit. I really like the sensitivity of the fireline when I'm fishing in 100 ft of H20. If I'm using my Marmish rods though I use black widow mono line.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2005, 10:38 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I will probably try a couple different lines this year to see which ones I like best. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2005, 07:39 AM »
last year i used a line from bass pro called mr. crappie in yellow for crappie. had very good luck
very little memory. seemed to be strong enough . used 4# test landed a 10 lb northern

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:27 PM »
just plain old trilene xl in 2 3 and 4 lb test  or ill use the micro ice in 2 3 and 4 lb test i ussually have at least 6 rods rigged up each time i go fishing this way i dont have to keep retying my fav jigs on
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2005, 08:24 AM »
Sliverthread.  Nuff said.

Ted    (hey that rhymes LOL)
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Crazy-Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2005, 07:08 PM »
I use Gamakatsu on all my regular poles as well as my jig sticks.The stuff is awesome.I also use there hooks .The 6lbs test is the size of 2lbs test.Unbelievably strong.
If it was that easy,everyone would do it!

hali-man

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:45 PM »
Do you mean Gamakatsu? I didn't know they made line.

Offline Crazy-Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:00 AM »
Yes,I 'm not a great speller!.Yes,they make awesome line,but,the only place I can get it is at my local bait shop (Granby Bait) If you go to
http://www.alltackle.com/gamakatsu_line.htm
you can find it there.Like I said the stuff is great![/color
or punch in Gamakatsu fishing line in your search engine and it will come up!
If it was that easy,everyone would do it!

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2005, 02:06 PM »
8lb Supermono - the stuff is like piano wire and very abrasion resistant.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2005, 08:35 AM »
I just picked up a spool of #4 and #8 P-line Floroice......Going to give it a shot tommorrow!I never really had a problem with trilenes Micro ice last year...No break offs and solid hook-sets.
Andrew

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:56 AM »
Just spooled up with Berkley 6lb ice braid.  Seems like it will transmit bites better, but am worried about stiffness when it gets cold...anybody ever use this line before?

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:14 PM »
I spooled all of my panfish poles with spiderwire braided line two years ago thinking
it sounded good (no stretch, stays limp with low coil memory) , but the fish hated
it.  They wouldn't touch my jigs with this high vis presentation.  After only a couple
of outtings it started to fray and get fuzzy.  Total junk.  So I respooled with trilene
iceline and started catching fish again.  Braided might be good for tipup backer but
I'll never use it again.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:06 PM »

Masons Pole Cat 1# test for my panfish

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:50 PM »
I spooled all of my panfish poles with spiderwire braided line two years ago thinking
it sounded good (no stretch, stays limp with low coil memory) , but the fish hated
it.  They wouldn't touch my jigs with this high vis presentation.  After only a couple
of outtings it started to fray and get fuzzy.  Total junk.  So I respooled with trilene
iceline and started catching fish again.  Braided might be good for tipup backer but
I'll never use it again.

Sounds more like spiderwire fusion than their braid. I use their braided line with great success in the summer but find braided lines absorbs too much water in the winter. I think you had the fusion line as I have had buddy's that had the same problem with fraying with that line. Too many guys think braided line and fused superlines are the same.

For Ice fishing I like fireline, whcih is a fused line, with either a mono or floro leader. I can't for the life of me figure out why a couple post up a guy would state he could feel his jig better with mono instead of fireline. That just doesn't make any sense there is next to no stretch with the fireline. And I find it absorbs very little water if any and ice build up is less of a problem with fireline than mono because of its slippery surface, the ice just comes right off when you pull the line through your fingers.

Offline bergal1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I have ice fished with berkley vanish for years and have always been quite satisfied with the product line. I have heard good reports on the P-Line floroclear. Will have to try that next.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.