The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Fishing with lights  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
Fishing with lights
« on: Dec 02, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Looked back at some posts from last march talking about fishing with lights and someone asked if you could use glow sticks instead. Just wanted to say that I tried it on Higgins one night smelt fishing, results were marginal at best. Was it better than no light at all, maybe. But I can tell you that at that temp, the glow sticks glow very dim. Very, very, dim.

Anyone ever fish Mallory LK. near Pittsford, MI ? For a two week peroid it is THE BEST PANFISH LAKE I'VE EVER FISHED. When you can catch your limit in about an hour...I'd say thats a safe statement.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
Re: Fishing with lights
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2005, 10:38 PM »
Reel Wet Ride,
  I live a couple of miles away from Mallory and I got some bad news for ya bud.
The DNR closed the public access about a month ago.  It's getting harder to find
a place to fish.  Go out to Oak Haven [3miles east of Hillsdale on m-34] to
Lakeshore Marine bait shop and Pat will fill ya in on where the fish are biting.
Best panfish action around.
  About the night lights go to Jamminjigs.com and get ya some neon glow jigs and a lure charger.  They kick ass.
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:00 PM »
Go figure. They've been talking about shutting it down for the last 3 years or so. I doubt I'll make it back to the Dale that part of the year anyway. Before moving over here to K-zoo, Hillsdale was my home. If there's ice I'll probably get on 3rd  once or twice around X-mas. I'll have to stop into Lakeshore to buy my dad some jigs anyway. You ever fish Brazie <sp?> its behind the BP off US 12. It has its times, clean water, good tasting fish, very little fishing pressure. 

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:57 PM »
Hey Reel Wet Ride,
  Good to see a local on The Shanty.   I've never fished Brazie.  So many lakes
so little time.  I found a honey hole for monster specks on third last winter.  I
mostly panfish the lakes around Reading.  Long Lake in particular has alot of
'bullnosed Bluegills".  Good luck fishin' around Kzoo.  Can't wait to straghten my line out on a jumbo.

Ted

Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2005, 12:01 PM »
Yeah, same to you Ted. I lived on Mud lake near North Adams. Or Adams lake if you look on a map. Either way. Its a good way to kill time in the winter, horrible place to fish if you want a mess of fish to clean. But the bluegills are big (bankers imports) and there are tons of crappie in that lake that makes for awsome spring fishing. If you bass fish at all, I'll get you out there in the spring.

jason

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:10 PM »
Jason,
  Mud Lake north of osseo.  We used to rent boats off a nice farmer couple there
and take the kids out fishing when they were little.  I don't do the bass thing much anymore.  I figure if I've only got limited time to fish I want some fish to eat.
Strictly panfish and eyes.  My folks own property on Posey.  Early spring and late
fall crappie fishing is awesome. 

Ted
Thoreau

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:25 AM »
That would be the lake I'm talking about.  The guy your talking about is Mr. Foust. I don't think they rent boats out of there anymore. Its nice to have that lake all to myself most of the year. Downside is that now no-one comes in and catches the eater gills, so the size of the gills have went down a little over the last 5 years. We'll have to keep in touch and try to catch some fish if I make my way that direction this winter.

Respect,
Jason

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:27 PM »
Jason,
  Sounds like a plan.  E-mail me at [email protected] when you wanna catch
some reelbigfish.

Ted
Thoreau

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2005, 02:38 PM »
I'll e-mail you a day or two before I come that direction. That way you'll have time to perfect your "stories". On another note, have you ever fished 2nd for perch? I know for the last few winters they've done pretty good over there, but I've never bothered to walk through the cattails to get there.

Jason

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:22 PM »
Jason,
  I fished in the mouth of the channel leading into 2nd for big gills and redears
last winter but didn't see too many perch.  I mostly sight fish 3rd and bass in my
fishtrap magnum delux.  Bawbeese perch run a little small for me so I concentrate
on the deeper water of Bird Lake and Bear Lake for 12" and better perch.

Ted
Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.