The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: drill to auger attachment  (Read 721 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
drill to auger attachment
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:41 PM »
I'm thinking of getting one of those drill to auger attachment's for the lakes around my home where I don't have my gas one.  If you had tried one of these please tell me how it works, how well it works and how long it works(how many holes can be drilled with the battery life of and auger).

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: drill to auger attachment
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:01 PM »
What I'm looking for is a way to attach my 6 inch lazer hand auger bottom to my gas power head. I fish gills 90% of the time. A 10 inch hole is overkill. I have a Strikemaster Mag 2000. I saw a guy with a similar set up the other day. It took 5 seconds to drill 14 inches. 
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:01 PM »
Zeck, they are great for smaller augers, but anything over a 6" will limit your cutting/battery life.  The size of drill will also factor on how many holes you can cut.  Just be sure to get one that has a shield on it to prevent the auger and the bit from taking a swim in the event of the assembly coming loose from the drill chuck.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline mydogisscout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:08 AM »
I can order a smaller auger for your powerhead, but it's almost as cheap to buy a new auger lol

Offline firefighter3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:16 AM »
i got one of those converter things and put it on my 8" strikemaster mora, and i can only get about 6 to 8 holes tops out of an 18 volt dewalt. and thats when the batteries are warm.... deff.  get a 6 in or smaller. cause an 8 inch rapes the batteries. My father in law bought me a new gas strikemaster 2000 for xmas this year so i just take that with me now. i still young(23) and i will carry the 26 pound gas auger to drill through 6 inches of ice rather than exert the energy to hand crank. "LAZY KID" i know.

Offline BUSTNDUX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:22 AM »
Anybody run a 6" auger with a 18v drill? Curious to see how many holes you can get out of one battery with the 6".

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:49 AM »
Zeck, they are great for smaller augers, but anything over a 6" will limit your cutting/battery life.  The size of drill will also factor on how many holes you can cut.  Just be sure to get one that has a shield on it to prevent the auger and the bit from taking a swim in the event of the assembly coming loose from the drill chuck.
It's a 6" drill bottom with a 18V drill, how many holes you you think I can drill with 7" of ice?

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:29 AM »
I use a 5" Laser with a 18V drill. I would think it would drill 50 holes thru 12" of ice. It is really nice 'cause it weighs almost nothing and 5" is plenty for 'Gills and Perch. Here is a link where it was gone over pretty good.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=102309.0

I would buy one of the IceMaster adapters, I think they are well thought out.

How good does it work? See for yourself.

http://www.icemasteradapter.com/video

I explained why 6" is too much auger. It takes to much power and it is to hard to hold the drill.
Bruster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.