Author Topic: Best Ice Fishing Lakes in and around Prince George  (Read 12103 times)

Offline IceDrillerFishKiller

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Ice Fishing Lakes in and around Prince George
« on: Dec 15, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Hello Iceshanty group,

I am new to the forum so I thought that I would start a thread. I did a quick search and didnt find anything relevant. I am not great at forums as this is my first one so please be patient.

My question is;  what are the best Ice Fishing Lakes in and around Prince George?

My Favorites are: Camp, Eena, Cob and Clucuz. Any other suggestions?

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
Re: Best Ice Fishing Lakes in and around Prince George
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Pete's Lake and Eaglet Lake and Tacheeda Lake (before it was closed for ice fishing) are a few of my favorite lakes.

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:26 AM »
that question depends to me on wether you kill and eat all your fish or send some back to make pretty little babies.

SC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:13 AM »
that question depends to me on wether you kill and eat all your fish or send some back to make pretty little babies.

SC

I don't think I could eat all the fish I catch. I am a big advocate for catch and release. :-) Last weekend when I went to Camp (Both Saturday and Sunday) my group got around 70 fish. I took 1 kokanee  and my sister took 3 rainbows. I am a firm believer in conservation and sustainability. Just want to get out have fun, go for a walk, play with my dog and do some fishing!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Pete's Lake and Eaglet Lake and Tacheeda Lake (before it was closed for ice fishing) are a few of my favorite lakes.

I love Tacheeda in the summer but haven't been in a long time. Too bad its closed for ice fishing. I think I will go try Eaglet on Sunday! Thanks!

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2011, 01:11 AM »
it is only recently closed to fishing because of the amount of people that were keeping the 20 pound fish and the population dwindled.
SC

Offline IceDrisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I don't think I could eat all the fish I catch. I am a big advocate for catch and release. :-) Last weekend when I went to Camp (Both Saturday and Sunday) my group got around 70 fish. I took 1 kokanee  and my sister took 3 rainbows. I am a firm believer in conservation and sustainability. Just want to get out have fun, go for a walk, play with my dog and do some fishing!

Hey IDFK - welcome to the forum.

If you don't mind me asking, how big was your kokanee from Camp? We targeted Kokanee once last year but all we could find were 6-8 inchers. Also - did you catch the kokanee in shallow while fishing for rainbows, or were you specifically fishing for them?

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Ness Lake also has Kokanee now. Caught about a half a dozen last summer.

Offline kodiak80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2011, 12:47 PM »
i was at camp yesterday, kok fishing was very slow compared with last weekend.  fish aren't huge, but taste good.

if you want some decent kokanee, ten mile lake is a better bet.  plus, you can drive right to the lake

Offline Aerator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:52 PM »

Kodiak the trail into Camp will be mushy after today's rain. So will  most destinations requiring a hike.  It takes a -10C or colder freeze to tighten up the slush for walking. Eskers Park area is usually 2 to 3 degrees colder than down here in the bowl.

By the way:
My neighbor has another sled, same size as the one I use  to transport  gear if you are interested.  Its in his work  warehouse so I can't tell you what condition it's in. Will let you know when I take possession.

Offline kodiak80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Kodiak the trail into Camp will be mushy after today's rain. So will  most destinations requiring a hike.  It takes a -10C or colder freeze to tighten up the slush for walking. Eskers Park area is usually 2 to 3 degrees colder than down here in the bowl.

By the way:
My neighbor has another sled, same size as the one I use  to transport  gear if you are interested.  Its in his work  warehouse so I can't tell you what condition it's in. Will let you know when I take possession.

sounds good.  i think i will just take the vancouver guy to eena tomorrow.  we won't bother hiking into eskers, it will be a mess after all the rain today.  maybe i'll give u a call in the morning before we go.  we are leaving around 8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:02 AM »
Hey IDFK - welcome to the forum.

If you don't mind me asking, how big was your kokanee from Camp? We targeted Kokanee once last year but all we could find were 6-8 inchers. Also - did you catch the kokanee in shallow while fishing for rainbows, or were you specifically fishing for them?

I didn't measure it... It was bigger than 8 inches though. I would guess it at around 1.5 pounds. I got him in the shallows fishing rainbow and brook. Like I said my group got 70 fish and that was the only one I landed. I had another one on however I lost it at the hole. It was about the same size. I know that there was people there targeting them in the middle of the lake with flashers and corn. Dont know how they did as they left before me. Good Luck!

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Lots of Kokanee in Ness Lake.  Caught a few last weekend.  I won't be driving the highway to 10-Mile Lake anymore.

Lots of good fishing around PG -

Dragon Lake (Pete's Lake)
10-Mile Lake (kokanee, rainbow)
Ness Lake (Kokanee / brook and rainbow)
Verdant Lake (brook trout)
Vivian Lake (brook trout, rainbow trout)
Eena Lake (rainbow trout)
Cob Lake (brook trout / rainbow trout)
Crystal Lake (brook trout / rainbow trout)
Echo Lake (big brook trout)
Coop Lake (brook trout)
Lakes in Eskers Park all produce either brook or rainbow and Camp has Kokanee (ski or hike in access)
Cluculz Lake (rainbow trout, burbot)
Norman Lake (burbot)
Purden Lake (rainbow trout, burbot)
Gravel Pit Lake (brook trout)

and a whole host of other lakes usually requiring snowmobile to access for ice fishing - lots of opportunity

Offline Burbot Buster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT BURBOT?
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Bc there are also lakers and kokanee in cluculz

My Mom says I'm better than all of you.

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2011, 01:00 AM »
BB - yep.  Knew about the lakers and Kokanee but I havn't heard of it being much of a Kokanee fishery (i.e., like 10 Mile) and I just won't bother with Laker lakes as I'm not a promoter of lake trout fishing for even catch and release although I have been tempted in the past to give it a try. 

Offline Burbot Buster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT BURBOT?
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2011, 11:29 PM »
I catch kokanee all the time when i fish for burbs. They like the big shiny lures

My Mom says I'm better than all of you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.