Author Topic: Hand jigging cow bells for kokes  (Read 757 times)

Offline Cluster Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
Hand jigging cow bells for kokes
« on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:42 PM »
The wife and I are new to ice fishing.  Don't know about elsewhere, but Coloradoans going for kokanee swear by jigging a separate hole with a set of lake trolls, or cow bells, to attract a school of fish.  Some folks set up the attractor rig 5 to 10 feet from the closest ice fishing hole, depending on drift, distance down to the kokes, etc..  If placed in the correct general area, the angler with the attractor doesn't need to move locations multiple times.

However, muscle strain and fatigue are problematic for hand jigging the attractor.  I want in on the kokanee action, but don't yet want to buy a battery-powered jigging machine, which many icers say is necessary to do the attractor jigging correctly.  My idea, which I hope to try Feb. 7-9, is to rig a fulcrum (think teeter-totter), and to lift and lower one end by hand, with the attractor suspended on the other end doing its thing X number of feet below ice.  Not a heavy or bulky contraption, but maybe an 8-foot-long 1x2 pivoting on a rod I can fabricate and insert into a hole drilled in the ice.  The wife and I could trade off.  Does this sound feasible, or am I  :cookoo:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Hand jigging cow bells for kokes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:56 PM »
Howdy C F.      This very question has been covered recently.

You're not cookoo but, welcome to the club, ha.

On the home page, click "Search"  enter "cowbells" .  Bingo ~ Two pages of 'stuff' .     ;)2

Offline Cluster Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Sent you a pm, Idahogator.  Got a relative in your neck of the woods.

Anyway, I checked the archive and found a short reference about a foot powered jigger.  Anybody know anything about it? ???

Offline kokemack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:01 PM »
That will work.l would add a 3/4 oz. Weight on the bottom of the cowbells to pull them back down ,then youll need to just push or pull the pole down.I run a jig machine in one hole and manual jigged flasher in hole 20' away and fish in between

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016, 11:22 PM »
I have an ez jigger rod holder that would work perfect for this. It runs on standard AA batteries iirc.
I'm not sure they are still made but I believe they were in the $20 range new.
You might check eBay etc. To find one for sale.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.