The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: its so dumb you cant buy minnows and use them in wyo and montana  (Read 4168 times)

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
so i live in montana fairly close to wyoming and where i wanna fish for walleys there is only one place that i know of that has minnows and they never ever have any when i plan my trips and they say its illegal to buy them in montana and bring them into wyoming     what a dumb rule

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Remember, you're not supposed to speed either. ;)

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
Might be more productive to post a question on the G&F thread regarding the issue. Be respectful in your approach and I bet you get a respectable answer back.  ;)

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
U may think its dumb cause you live in Montana.  I'm from ohio where invasive species have screwed up many good places to fish. Inconvenient maybe. Dumb no. Stupid people accidentally put things in lakes all the time that they shouldn't. I'm glad Wyoming has these rules.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
I live here in wyoming and I think we should be able to use minnows from montana and south dakota. the minnows they get from the yellowstone river originates here in wyo  ??? and Im pretty sure the minnows you get at scheels in rapid are raised at the hatchery so no inasive stuff there hmmmm I see no problems since how they are either shinner or creek chubs there again which are in the bell fourche river that flows in and out of keyhole. oh well I will just continue to fish out of state until things change its not a big deal to me I like the big fish the other states offer and its almost a sure thing you will get fish.
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
U may think its dumb cause you live in Montana.  I'm from ohio where invasive species have screwed up many good places to fish. Inconvenient maybe. Dumb no. Stupid people accidentally put things in lakes all the time that they shouldn't. I'm glad Wyoming has these rules.
Its the same drainage. Tongue River starts in Wyoming and flows into Montana. The reservoir is just a couple of miles off Wyoming border and most of our drainage's move out of state in to big reservoirs and other fisheries.  Lets not include Water laws/rights oboy don't bring that up we don't even control most of our own water its gos somewere else.
No one left behind.     

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
lol ya your definatly rite about that ! the whole deal just plain sucks for us around here with the price gouging for junk fat head minnows that are an inch or less long and hard to find its just easier to go someplace else essecially when its only an hour longer to get there lol
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
lol..I think I'll leave this one alone.

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
There are lots of waters in Wyoming besides Keyhole and tongue river. 
Allowing the use of minnows from other states in Wyoming does not restrict them to Keyhole of the Tongue River drainage.  It allows them to be used everywhere.  Water quality and species composition in streams can change a lot as you progress down "the creek".  So we don't really want every species that lives down stream.   I think the regs are motivated by a desire for maintaining  good fish populations and not by price gouging.
I have used South Dakota produced minnows when I lived in Nebraska and there were all kinds of extra species in the bucket.  There were sticklebacks and others in almost every bucket. Accurate ID of "minnow" species is tough even for those who are trained.  So what looks like "chubs and shiners" at first glance is not always only "chubs and shiners".  Once invasive species gets a foothold they are almost impossible to get rid of.
Ignoring regs doesn't seem to be the kind of behavior that the dedicated fisherman on this site would condone.  By ingnoring regs in this matter you endanger fishing for everyone.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
How many of these threads will there be this year? We should start a bet! I pick at least two more before spring!
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
Im guessing they are afraid of them leaking into blue ribbon trout rivers like the N. Platte.  Crazy as it seems, most fish in wyoming are NOT game fish, and introductions of new species could have huge impacts on native fish populations.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I seined up a minnow the other day which had a 'Wyoming Native' sticker on it...   :woot:

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
I seined up a minnow the other day which had a 'Wyoming Native' sticker on it...   :woot:
   And he said my relatives live in Boysen,Glendo,Alcova,Pathfinder and Seminoe.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
   Get my point anyone?

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
How would you know if they are in all those lakes, and how would you know just which "minnie" you are looking at? 
would you examine every minnow in the bucket to make sure of all the species you are carrying to a lake where you "know" what minnow species are native or found there anyway?    The real point is that invasive species and the spread of undesirable species has caused major fisheries management problems and in turn, the degradation of fishing in many areas of our state, our country, and elsewhere.  If you have a problem with the regulation communicate with a G&F fisheries biologist and they can help you with the reason for the regulation.

Offline Ize

• IceShanty Rookie
I think in WY the walleye in most waters, and the rainbow, brown, lake, and brook trout would be considered an invasive species????  But I am glad they keep putting some of these in our reservoirs to grow fat, too bad they won't leave the Lake Trout alone in Yellowstone Lake would be some great fishing.  I guess it is just the opinion of who has the power to decide.  Being native with species is impossible and it will suck when that is the goal like it is already in a lot of places.
If ya dont find em at least you can eat ur minnows!

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ize,
Well your right on some counts.  We already have carp.  The "horse is out of the barn" with regard to some species.  But the movement of fish in an unsupervised and uncontrolled way may have more serious consequences than brown trout and rainbow trout, or walleye being managed for in reservoirs.   And invasive species is one that spreads and propagates on its own, not through stocking by wildlife agencies.  They are also difficult if not impossible to eradicate.  Non-native species and invasive species are not the same.
I used to live in Nebraska and bullheads found there way into almost every farm pond within a few years.  they don't come in on "duck's feet" but in buckets by people who believe they know good bullhead fisheries management.   After thousands of dollars spent on building a farm pond and stocking with bass, bluegill, and catfish,  someone would introduce bullheads or green sunfish and all that work and expense is ruined.  Minnows from "certified" sources also contained many species beyond what was specified.  Again, green sunfish in particular traveled over dry ground in minnow buckets to places where they were not intended.  And it was detrimental to the fishing.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
Might be more productive to post a question on the G&F thread regarding the issue. Be respectful in your approach and I bet you get a respectable answer back.  ;)

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
How would you know if they are in all those lakes, and how would you know just which "minnie" you are looking at? 
would you examine every minnow in the bucket to make sure of all the species you are carrying to a lake where you "know" what minnow species are native or found there anyway?    The real point is that invasive species and the spread of undesirable species has caused major fisheries management problems and in turn, the degradation of fishing in many areas of our state, our country, and elsewhere.  If you have a problem with the regulation communicate with a G&F fisheries biologist and they can help you with the reason for the regulation.
   It's not that hard to identify a minnow when you go to hook it. Fatheads ,sucker,green dace,shiners and gizzard shad are easy to identify. If I happen to get a carp or stickleback they are destroyed. What ever happened to the gizzard shad(non-native) that the G&F used to plant in Pathfinder? The walleye population was tremendous when those fish resided in that lake. Glendo has a good bunch of shad in it,also introed into that lake and look at how good fishing is there. If I had my choice of what bait to use it would be creek chubs(green and irredecent purple) and fatheads. Fatheads are statewide and overall good bait. Suckers are in all the lakes I mentioned in my earlier post, as are fatheads and green dace.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
   It's not that hard to identify a minnow when you go to hook it.

It might not be that hard, but most people are not going to do it.  Most of the people I have talked to on the ice or in tackle shops think a "minnow" is a small fish.  Any small fish.

Besides the nonnative fish issues, I know that a big reason for the ban on importing fish into Montana, Wyoming and a bunch of other states came about because of the fear of fish disease.  Montana stopped the importation of all fish a few years ago because of the outbreak of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia, which was spreading like wildfire in the upper Midwest, and causing die offs in natural, wild fish populations.

So what might seem like a pain in the ass seems kind of trivial to me.  Many states do not allow the use of ANY live bait fish......

Offline badsparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think that this question or statement really comes about when you have a reservoir that crosses statelines such as Big Horn Reservoir.  I see this with fishereman when they have to come to Wyoming to get on the ice but wish to fish in Montana.  Therefore they can't buy minnows in Wyoming to use on the otherside and can't buy minnows in Montana to use in Montana because you can not transport minnows across state lines. 

Offline NINERDAN

• IceShanty Rookie
MONTANA HAS A PERMIT WHICH IS FREE SO YOU CAN POSSESS WYOMING MINNOWS
ON BIGHORN LAKE IN MONTANA

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
I think that this question or statement really comes about when you have a reservoir that crosses statelines such as Big Horn Reservoir.  I see this with fishereman when they have to come to Wyoming to get on the ice but wish to fish in Montana.  Therefore they can't buy minnows in Wyoming to use on the otherside and can't buy minnows in Montana to use in Montana because you can not transport minnows across state lines.

This is not entirely true.  Below is a quotation directly from the free permit that NINERDAN mentioned...

"The person listed below is authorized by MT FWP to import bait fish for noncommercial purposes with the following restrictions:
1.  Live bait must be obtained from a licensed WY bait dealer authorized to sell bait fish for use in the Wind/Bighorn River Drainage in WYor through a seining/trapping permit...
2.  WY imported bait fish may be possessed or used only in Bighorn Lake in Montana.  Live bait fish from MT may be transported through wyoming for use only in the MT portion of Bighorn Lake..."
  Also listed on the permit is a few more restrictions so please read it carefully before transporting Live bait anywhere near the MT/WY border.

The thing that gets me is I would like to know who is patrolling the WY/MT border on Bighorn Lake keeping the baitfish I brought in from MT from escaping off my hook and travelling into WY ??? ;D ;D ;D  Just some food for thought referring to point 2 where it states MT baitfish can only be used in the MT portion of the lake... - Good fishin' - OH

Offline Ize

• IceShanty Rookie
I agree more Gizzard Shad or other baitfish in our reservoirs and then sell them to baitshops also.  Look what baitfish did to improve Fort Peck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If ya dont find em at least you can eat ur minnows!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
I believe when it all comes down to it, its a matter of opinion. and money. State wants its money.  I'm an avid and activist fisherman that understands the point of invasive species being releast into waters.  But how invasive can they be if its from the same drainage.  If we keep turning the blind eye we will get the bucket biologist and what happens to the fishery it changes, for good or bad but as fisherman we adapt to the changes. And as for me, I'm stand in the middle with my fishing gear doing my best not to break any laws.  All I want to do is go fishing, with the best opportunity to catch a fish and support my local fisheries without drama of bait that I purchased at the "local" sporting goods store.   "Local" is the key, I'm not going to Newyork to purchase minnows. 
No one left behind.     

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here is your solution: make a test like hunter's safety (minnow safety). In order to possess live minnows, you must be able to identify all non-game fish in Wyoming, as well as what drainages they are already in. Then you know what one's you can use where. There are 26 species, and UW offers an entire class to learn them!
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
Been there, done that, taken that and failed that! lol it was a great class however. learned alot from UW.
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
Here is your solution: make a test like hunter's safety (minnow safety). In order to possess live minnows, you must be able to identify all non-game fish in Wyoming, as well as what drainages they are already in. Then you know what one's you can use where. There are 26 species, and UW offers an entire class to learn them!
How about making it a point of topic in class? Or better yet a thesis or something.  Like you have stated manage our waters. Well I'm always looking for solutions and willing to listen.  Its topics and threads like this that spon debate and solutions to problems. We complain about minnows anyone got a solution? Could there be a boarder slean permit? Or drainage permit? Is there one on the burner?  How about your local sporting goods store you could purchase a permit to sell minnows on both sides. Making it cost worthy. We don't want to put these guys out of business.  What I've been told about getting a state minnow can become so much red tape its very costly. Like MountainMan said ask G&F. I'll post a question.
No one left behind.     

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.