Author Topic: Question  (Read 1758 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Question
« on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:39 PM »
A lot of people have told me my pike (21 1/8") is a tiger musky. After looking at several pictures of tiger musky, I am agreeing with that. But of course, I am not sure. Maybe we should send the question to somebody that could tell by the picture better then we can? Any input anyone? I would sure like to put it under the musky category if that is what it is.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

MikeThePike

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2005, 08:49 PM »
It does look a bit like a tiger musky to me but me & Pikepopper got 2 smaller fish that look similar and its still being debated over what they actually are.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=20078.0

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:31 AM »
TFB,

I would say that your fish is definatley a northern pike.  Even a imature tiger would have very distinct bars going up and down on the fish.  the only simularity with the pike coloration is that the tail will have black marking like yours or any other pike.  go to the otisco lake thread on the new york reprots and conditions there should be some pics of tigers there.  you will see the differences.

JiggerMan

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:36 AM »
TFB,

The pics  i was talking about are on page 4 of the Otisco/Ondagua thread in the NY reports and conditions page. 

JiggerMan

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2005, 09:59 AM »
TFB...sorry to disappoint...similar question arose out of Mountainmama's northern entry....tigers have a distinctive bar pattern....Grump ;D

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2005, 08:06 PM »
Your fish is definately a pike.. ;)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:12 PM »
I was sure it was a pike too when I caught it but a lot of people pmed me and told me it wasn't. I have been doing some reading lately and have read somewhere (I will try to find where) that often times in a northern pike's third or fourth year of life, that they look a bit like a tiger musky sometimes. I will try to find where I read it.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:19 PM »
boom... found it. Here's the direct quote
 "Young pike often exhibit a striped coloration pattern similar to tiger muskies throughout their 4th to 5th year of life. This cryptic coloration pattern helps them blend in with the aquatic vegetation where they live during this time. Occasionally, pike will retain this coloration pattern as they grow to larger sizes."
http://wildlife.state.co.us/FAQ/default.asp?action=viewfaq&returnURL=default%2Easp%3FPage%3D%26searchkeyword%3Dspinney%26searchdivisionid%3D%26searchfaqtopicid%3D%26searchfaqsubtopicid%3D&page=1%26searchkeyword%3Dspinney%26searchdivisionid%3D%26searchfaqtopicid%3D%26searchfaqsubtopicid%3D&Faqid=240

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.