Author Topic: Constructive Criticism  (Read 9145 times)

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
Re: Constructive Criticism
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2005, 10:35 AM »
Being my first year on the shanty I have truly enjoyed reading and viewing fellow fisherman across the country.  I can't wait for next year to enter the tournament and compete with some of those shanty veterans! Ice fishing is an enjoyable experience, however, adding a contest to it just makes it that more exciting!! For how much I spend each ice fishing season, alot according to my future wife  >:D, paying 5 to 15 dollars to enter the shanty tournament would be no big deal! This site and tournament are awesome, keep up the great work!! :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

ps... watch out leaderboard , I'm fish'n hardcore next season, if my wife lets me! ;D

MikeThePike

« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2005, 02:25 PM »
I think they've done a great job in putting together a tourney that just about everyone has a chance to compete in. If they were to add every species that people target through the ice they'd need to come up with hundreds of prizes and that just doesn't seem possible for a free tournament. Keep in mind most of the prizes are most likely donated, so there needs to be something in it for the companies donating. If more companies donated, they'd want links to their sites under the sponsors above. Who wants to have to scroll through 50 or more sponsors just to read a post?

On the category of muskies, its not that no one targets them. My understanding is that up north they are rarely targeted through the ice which down here in NJ & PA they are hit hard. Truth be told, they are a hard fish to target through the ice, just as they are in open water. There have been a few muskies caught so far this winter from reading various posts, so either they don't plan on entering them because they don't think they can win, or they are waiting for the last minute (like last years tourney)

I had 1 run off so far this year on Lake Hopatcong that was most likely a musky & only targeted them 1 other time this winter due to lack of safe ice. Obviously I'm not going to target 30-40 pound fish on ice thats just barely safe enough to hold my weight as it is.

As soon as my friend sends me the pics the first musky entry will be made.  ;D

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Everyone does a great job!!! :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

My 2 cents: The rainbow and brown trout categories should be separate......browns are usually so much bigger than rainbows and it really messes over guys like me who have no browns to target :-\ Maybe I'm just being whiny but you usually don't get rainbows over 25" and you see a lot of browns that reach that size. Maybe a rainbow/brookie category??
KRIS

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline mgarvey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2005, 06:13 PM »
i am pretty new to the site and missed the sign up date for the tourney but i keep looking at the tourney pictures and think that the guys that run this tourney do an incredible job. I know i spend a lot of time on this site i can imagine the time it takes to put something on like this. Just want to say thanks for everything these guys do and can not wait till next year so i can enter, Keep up the good work.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #34 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:34 AM »

My 2 cents: The rainbow and brown trout categories should be separate......browns are usually so much bigger than rainbows and it really messes over guys like me who have no browns to target :-\ Maybe I'm just being whiny but you usually don't get rainbows over 25" and you see a lot of browns that reach that size. Maybe a rainbow/brookie category??
KRIS
Head 1 hour south PGKris, search out for the Dragon ;) You will get rainbows 24-27 inches. Expand your horizons my young friend. I'm going there on Thursday. Come along and bring your waders cause we may have to swim to get to the ice. You can only keep one fish though. So go big or go home.

I also missed the tourney sign up last year, not this year.

MikeThePike

« Reply #35 on: Mar 08, 2005, 10:06 AM »

KRIS

The rainbows not getting as big as browns wouldn't have much of an arguement seeing as how the fish in 1st place in that category is indeed a rainbow. I agree that browns do run much bigger than the bows but if a bow is in 1st above lots of browns they certainly won't change the category. Also, having a bow/ brookie category, do you honestly think a brookie would have a shot at winning that?

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #36 on: Mar 08, 2005, 12:29 PM »
I think the tournament is fantastic as is, and I wouldn't mind a sign-up fee, altho I can see how there would be added work/legal issues.  I plan on getting in the tourney again next year, and would like to offer some help if it is needed with the site or tourney or anything else.  All of the hard work that goes into running/maintaining a wonderful site like this is truly appreciated, and if I can help out in any way, big or small (no, not by paying the shipping ;D) please feel free to contact me.  Also appreciated is the excellent advice passed along by members.  Went from being a weedbed/tip-up/minnow fisherman for 20+ years, to buying a jigging pole and catching tons of fish with it this year, something I never would have tried without this site and the advice.  Well, thanks for a great site and tourney.   ol'crawdad

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Yeah this tourney is great, even got a GM Goodwrench Racing Mug that holds a nice warm cup of coffee on the way to the ice :D.  It's my second year on here, first in the tourney, and have enjoyed just watching the entries, even though I haven't gotten into any of the big ones yet (there still is a little time left).      My thoughts are though that maybe for some of the younger ice-shanty members it might be a little hard for them to pay a mandatory entry fee (they don't have credit cards yet, or a lot of money either possibly) I don't think that they should be excluded as they are the next generation of ice-fisherman, just because they couldn't pay an entry fee, but maybe make the entry fee optional, like a donation, I wouldn't mind coughing up 5, 10 or maybe even 15 bucks to help the site and tourney out.
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2005, 01:50 PM »
Also, having a bow/ brookie category, do you honestly think a brookie would have a shot at winning that?

Yes!! At least the brookies I catch! ;D I've seen some of the back east monsters and I think it would be fair!
Terry: Not everyone gets a chance to fish Dragon lake, it's kind of in a league of it's own as far as fish size go........But I hear they taste like pulp mill so I'm going to stay away from there for now. I just got a float tube last night so when the ice does go I might try it out down there. Nice burbys and lakers.....where was that? Out towards ootsa? Looks familiar.....  :-X

This is a jar-licker 15 inch brookie.....And I got a few last week that pushed 18!

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

grumpymoe

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:13 PM »
depends on where you live and fish i guess.....i am sure the current leader for the rainbow/brown category knows where a possible 30 inch bow resides.....and until this one was entered, a bow lead the leaderboard......Grump :-\

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2005, 02:42 PM »
I have some criticism.. constructive of course.  ;D  comes in the Walleye/Burbot category.  tht Thriller guy had a 31" eye on there..one could say 'once in a lifetime catch!'  I've never got one that big.  not nearly..   and three Burbot beat it out?!  I don't know a burbot from my anus but I know a 31" eye is friggin huge..  and it doesn't mean SQUATTTT  in this tourney..  wow.   just need to split that up next year.. 
just stickin up for those eye guys.    ;D ;D  somebody's gotta.  I've never heard of a brubot before.  I don't think we even have them in Pa or WNY..  must be a canuck thing..  there mgith be some in the Adirondacks I guess..
nice brookie pg..
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2005, 04:00 PM »
I'm glad the lowly burbot was included in this years tourney :bow: :bow:. Burbot, lakers, rainbows common here. Unfortunately though perch, bass, crappie, walleye, pike, musky, chain pikerel, sunfish, and brown trout are no where near here and I would have to travel approx 8 hrs to connect with these fish. I'm thinking about travelling next year to northern Alberta to connect with some 40 lb pike, unsure how long these would be. Have to go with a guide though and travel 22 hrs from here. Someone has to knock Tip up off his throne for a year anyway.

PGKris, I don't fish always to eat. I fish for pictures as they last longer. Definately go to Dragon and release all the fish you catch. Lots of monsters you can get a picture of and blow those browns out of the water. The lake record is 32 lbs (Rainbow Trout). There was a pic of a fellow in Quesnel paper this year with a 16 lber. The guys on the lake do eat these fish, but only in winter.
Yes Dragon is in a class of its own.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 15, 2005, 06:44 PM »
I'm happy to see the burbot as a fish in the tourney as well.  Geographic location was something that was mentioned earlier so that everyone could participate.  I must admit to some disappointment with burbot and walleye being lumped together...ah, who am I kidding  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( 

One consideration though looking at it with only one muskie entry that would place 3rd right now if lumped in with the pike, it would seem that might be a better pair to put together.

Maybe next year I'll just have to chase the jumbo perch and crappie and maybe convince Tip-Up to take me out with him.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

grumpymoe

« Reply #43 on: Mar 15, 2005, 07:29 PM »
just a little comment as this years tourney winds to a successful end.....remember.....l ast year we only had 3 categories.....and yes...there is always room for improvement....so if any of our great members want to contribute to next years tourney...either with funding.....or more suggestions....please let Lonewolf and Scott know your thoughts....and yes...its kinda sucks to see a one in a lifetime walleye get beat out by a burbot....but hey....its all in fun....and if i may...its been Awesome....following everyones challenges and upgrades as this one winds down.....my best to everyone who took the time to enter....make it fun.....and that's what this is all about......and remember...its been FREE!!!!!....Grump

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #44 on: Mar 15, 2005, 07:48 PM »
This tourney has been great. Hats off to all involved and also to everyone that has posted an entry. One of the things I like best about this site is seeing pics of fish. This tourney certainly took care of that, and it also put a face with a name. Just wish I had more time to catch something worth posting. Congrats to all the winners.   :clap: Well deserved.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2005, 09:22 PM »
just a little comment as this years tourney winds to a successful end.....remember.....l ast year we only had 3 categories.....and yes...there is always room for improvement....so if any of our great members want to contribute to next years tourney...either with funding.....or more suggestions....please let Lonewolf and Scott know your thoughts....and yes...its kinda sucks to see a one in a lifetime walleye get beat out by a burbot....but hey....its all in fun....and if i may...its been Awesome....following everyones challenges and upgrades as this one winds down.....my best to everyone who took the time to enter....make it fun.....and that's what this is all about......and remember...its been FREE!!!!!....Grump

Thanks for the reminders Grump...some of us weren't here last year, so don't know the history.  Whaddaya mean once in a lifetime?  I'll be after some more of those big girls yet...that 31" fish was released to grow  ;)  Don't forget the one caught in SK this winter at 36" or so. 

Yes, it has been fun...neat to see the progress, the frustrations, and the small joys that go along with being involved in an event like this.  Many thanks to Lonewolf and Scott and the other mods who assisted.  Let me know what I can do to make it better next year.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 15, 2005, 09:49 PM »

no doubt about it's been fun.. nice seeing all the pics.. great scenery, different lakes..  can't beat it..  just wondering why an eye was put in the same category as a burbot.. ???  by the looks of it the burbot is a more eel like thing ..scary lookin if ya askme..  maybe i'll read back and see if I can't find an answer.. 
thanks all that ran this thing.. hope to get some bigger ones next year..   
and yes a 31" eye in these parts would be worth some braggin rights..  ;D  what would that be about an 11 pounder?  I guess I'm not fortunate enough   boo hoooo   ;D 

edited:
okay I've read back.  I see other people mentioned the same thing.  I'm not arguing here..  I'm sorry if it came across that way...  not raggin on anybody..  just curious is all..  sorry if I offended anybody that fishes for the burbot..
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.