The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: HUNGRY HORSE RES FISHING  (Read 2739 times)

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
HUNGRY HORSE RES FISHING
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:08 AM »
  We went boating here last year and I jigged a bit and lost ????? I had no idea what kind of fish were in here but figured atleast trout,so what exactly is in here and how is the fishing?

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HUNGRY HORSE RES FISHING
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Check out the fish and game website. Lots of info there

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Bull trout, cuts, whitefish.  Never tried ice fishing, access is sketchy this time of year unless you have a snowmobile.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 02:28 PM »
A few years back when I used to fish it thru the ice and do real good in the emery bay inlet- but the last time I was there I drilled a hole and there was about 5 feet of air between the water and ice.  Two snowmobiles were there about 20 minutes later as I was packing the truck.  They didn't believe me and the two actually walked out to where the hole was so they could witness it themselves. 

That was the last time I fished that lake thru the ice(2011).  Take NF 38 to get to emery, I would not drive on the ice unless you are testing as you go.  Kinda steep and rocky getting down the hill but was well worth the action.  That is my favorite place, Hungary Horse Res.  Awesome summer fishing as well.

Just found the thread where we talked about it.  Feb 2013 not 2011.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=253415.msg2592003#msg2592003
wish you many hook-ups

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:57 AM »
the last time I was there I drilled a hole and there was about 5 feet of air between the water and ice.  Two snowmobiles were there about 20 minutes later as I was packing the truck.  They didn't believe me and the two actually walked out to where the hole was so they could witness it themselves. 

I have heard about this on & off for years now.  I have heard stories of HHR surface ice being suspended as much as 30'.  I can't even picture that!  Do you by chance have any pictures of this?  Seems with as many smartphones as there are out there someone should have some crazy pics of this phenomenon.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:03 AM »
pictures dont exist. this has been one of the hottest topics on the site this year. Looks like the original post got deleted after people started bringing religion into it....

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:26 AM »

I have heard about this on & off for years now.  I have heard stories of HHR surface ice being suspended as much as 30'.  I can't even picture that!  Do you by chance have any pictures of this?  Seems with as many smartphones as there are out there someone should have some crazy pics of this phenomenon.

I don't take many pictures, I leave camera and phone in car ( so I don't become a "lost my camera thread") but I can't really imagine that anyone would drill into this type of abyss and say, ooooo, get me my camera, let's stand here and snap a couple of selfies.  LOL.  Running or getting outta there should be the first sane instinct.  IMO.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I have just completed hours of research & study on this topic and I am happy with my hypothesis:      http://giphy.com/gifs/twilight-zone-QFWZPy5P6a2kM

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Ha. A good friend of mine tells a story about walking out onto HHR with a buddy and, after drilling a hole, found they were 10+ feet suspended. Probably bs.

Offline OTTOCAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:28 PM »
It just makes sense,,  The dam releases water most all winter to make room for spring run off.  I've seen it on most reservoirs, just not as drastic as HHR...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:32 AM »
If it happened, anywhere, there would be pictures. 📸🎥

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:00 AM »
I've heard the same stories from Kookanusa too. Maybe just some joker with a foolproof way to have it all to himself? I don't know.

Tinker

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I saw the "when I was growing up" local reservoir drawn down hard one year late in the winter to allow for work on the dam or spillway in the spring.  I wish I had pics as it was quite a site to see, all that ice lining the shoreline sloping down to where the ice was still floating on the surface of the water.  I have heard these stories as well and I also cry BS.  I think even if it does happen Big foot goes out and stomps it back into place floating on the water before any human is able to witness  ;)   

Offline Nibbles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:07 PM »
When I was in high school, about 30 yrs ago, a friend and I went to hungry horse res. We walked out onto the ice drilled through about 8" of ice but no water came up. Got on my knees looked through the hole and the water was 30 feet or more below the hole. We couldn't walk fast enough or soft enough to get off the ice. It was an incredible sight but a very very uneasy feeling. I've never tried to ice fish there since.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:17 PM »
30 feet.....

Offline Nibbles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Yes, 30' easily. I could see shoreline from the water going up toward the ice about half way, through the eight inch hole. The ice actually sounds a little different when your drilling but at the time we didn't think much about it. I wouldn't stick around to take a picture even if I had a camera.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:44 PM »
 ;D all this suspended ice happened before digital cameras and cell phones. I found a very rare photo of an under water shot of suspended ice, you wouldnt believe what was under the ice.....i knew BD Cooper wasnt dead!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.