Author Topic: powerbait  (Read 6418 times)

rocky1010

powerbait
« on: Feb 21, 2003, 11:56 AM »
I'm planning on buying some burkley powerbait wigglers (Ithink thats what there called) but anyways I was wondering what color/s work the best and do you just put the powerbait on or do you put something else on such as a wax worm. I live in minnesota. :'(

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: powerbait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2003, 05:38 PM »
I have a package of the white, red, and green.  I have most luck with the white but I keep trying the other colors.  I use the Power Bait Wigglers, the ones that look like maggots rather than live ones ice fishing, they seem to work as good or better.  They are great to have in the tackle box in case you forget to stop by the bait shop.

Mr.Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2003, 04:52 PM »
The only powerbait I use anymore are waxworms for they're great along with small jigheads.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
Re:powerbait
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2003, 04:20 AM »
You should have these at all times as a backup to live bait. I have only once or twice done better then spikes and waxworms with them but if you do not have live bait they will save your day. They do not spoil like live bait either and that is a major plus. I keep 2 jars in my sled if needed.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2003, 12:19 AM »
I just bought a jar of Berkley powernaturals white Maggots. they look good can't waight to try them. has anybody had any luck with this bait?

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2003, 05:03 PM »
Have used both power bait maggots and power nuggets for blugills and crappies. found that the nuggets in white, silver, gold and red,(and to a lesser degree plain green), always caught fish, sometimes even better than live bait! Always on my hook, whether tipped with a waxie or not! The nuggets caught more sunfish than crappies, but this could be because of the lakes I fish and the blugill/crappie ratio. I had a feww strikes on the maggots last winter but no takers, I think I simply needed to tear the baits in half. Some are too large for hard water,but I think would be great producers in the summer. tipping my jig with the new "hair-like" plastic tails has caught many fish on many days on the ice for me as well. gonna try raw chicken skin(yes, I said raw chicken skin) this winter. It's a little tip I picked up reading the old posts here about what the oldtimers' used to use. Hope the info helps.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:50 PM »
I think that live bait is better, but it is good to have some in case of an emergency. I've found that the red is the best
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2004, 11:48 AM »
ihave been using the berkly powerbait gulp

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2004, 03:41 PM »
I always keep some on hand for when I can't find waxies.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2004, 09:16 AM »
Wallyguy,

How is that gulp stuff ??? I am ordering some now. From what I understand the stuff is too new for too many anglers to have used it yet. A guy I know told me that stuff works fairly well. I wonder if it is another lure just to hook fisherman.........LOL :D ;D

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2004, 11:46 AM »
it has been out fishing reel bait on most days  but it could be because its new

pa ice man

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2004, 09:27 PM »
green eorks best in clear water

Keith G

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2004, 05:56 PM »
The white grubs seem to work well if fish are hitting the waxies.  I tend to switch off and use the powerbait over the real bait once the fish start hitting.  The powerbait seems to stay on the hook longer and saves my live bait for when the bite get s stubborn. ;D

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2004, 08:55 PM »
Fleet Farm was clearancing stuff and I picked up some of the earthworm-like red wigglers. They seemed like it would work for tipping my jigs. I'll try this weekend and report. Also, I got some thin tails to try in chartreuse and yellow glow. I'm going for walleyes. Any tips on using with horizontal jigs? Do you put the bait on the tail hook or underbelly treble?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.