Author Topic: New Snap Rap vs. Original Jigging Rap  (Read 6696 times)

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Snap Rap vs. Original Jigging Rap
« on: Dec 05, 2012, 06:37 AM »
Has anyone checked out and used the new Rapala Snap Rap?  I was just wondering what the real difference is between the Snap Rap and Original Jigging Rap is as far as their actions and behavior while jigging or ripping them.

Thanks,

Phil

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re: New Snap Rap vs. Original Jigging Rap
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:25 AM »
From what I am seeing in them is a slimmer and heftier design. From their words " Made for deeper waters a faster drop on jigging" . This is only a speculation on my part but it looks a lot more streamline than a standard jigging Rap And also the tail bib is not the clear poly carbonate it is molded directly into the lure and longer than a normal  Rap's bib to get a glideing action.

Again reading on the site it seems to me this lure is also marketed towards the open water fishermen as well as we know it can be used for ice fishing.  The advertisement reads to use on sandy and Gravel bottom west coast reservoirs So with that the lure is ripped along the bottom and allowed to glide and again ripped and glide. A method I use with my standard home made swim lures I make for Walleyes and such. I do this method of fishing in my boat during the summer many times and it does work great.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2012, 10:31 AM »
I saw them and they look nice but for me a regular jigging rap dives and darts plenty fast. Seems like they are coming out with something new to try and pick up some extra sales which there is nothing wrong with. If I see one retail I may pick one up to try.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2012, 01:52 PM »
I saw them and they look nice but for me a regular jigging rap dives and darts plenty fast. Seems like they are coming out with something new to try and pick up some extra sales which there is nothing wrong with. If I see one retail I may pick one up to try.

I agree about the fast sink rates. The ones I build are light weight with about 1/10 the weight of normal jigging raps for the size. With the lighter weight comes a slower drop and bigger circle they swim under the ice. This adds a new dimension to fishing this style lure. These lures also can be short snapped in place which keeps the lure from swimming out but yet rolls and flashes the sides much like a injured minnow does. At times its the triggering effect to get a fish to respond. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2012, 02:03 PM »
OT - wish they would just bring back the rapala minnow spoon and downsize it for ice fishing. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2012, 02:51 PM »
from the video and looking at the snap rap, it looks like the top is a little more flat and gives it some dart on the lift as well as the drop
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.